What's new

Sudden and devastating loss to the polka world

Polkasound

One of the biggest names in polka music has died unexpectedly. He wasn't just beloved by thousands of polka music fans around the world, but he was my dear friend and fellow bandleader. Steve Meisner, one of the most venerated names and supreme talents in the industry, died yesterday after a very brief battle with cancer. He was 62 years old.

8x10_press_photo_2_low.jpg

Less than two weeks ago, he was playing one of his regular gigs on stage, except he had to sit on a stool due to what was assumed to be a recurrence of sciatica. But the pain was enough to send him to the hospital where they found cancer which had spread everywhere. Just twelve days later, he had succumbed to the disease.

Steve was unique in that he forged his own, unique sound of Slovenian-style polka music — a driving sound that influenced countless bands that came after him, mine included. But what also set him apart from all the other bands was the talent with which he crossed over into other styles of music like country and swing, and that he was universally known to be the best singer in the business.

Steve's untimely passing is sending shock waves through the country's polka music circuit, but the loss will be felt hardest right here in Wisconsin where his longtime friend and sax player is working hard to ensure Steve's contracts are fulfilled by fill-in accordionists. I'll be helping out in that effort, as well as other accordionists from the area and from around the country.

I've known Steve my entire professional life and was one of his band's drummers for the past 25 years. I'm honored to have had so many opportunities to work with him on stage and in the studio. He leaves behind a wife and a family of polka-loving children and grandchildren, and a legacy that will endure for generations to come.

My sincere condolences to you and Steve's family. I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I know all too well what it feels like to lose a close friend out of nowhere.

I’m truly sorry to hear this about your friend, it’s always devastating to lose a friend,loved one or family member. When it’s unexpected & sudden is always a monumental shock.
RIP

Last edited:
Top Bottom