What's new

Such A Simple but Great Trick

ed buller

The Hideously underrated Leith Stevens Wrote the War Of The Worlds music using a nice bag of tricks. A student of Joseph Schillinger and Gershwin !!!!

Bass is rooted in C#...Plunking away massive Fifths ..Roman Marching Bass Basically . Melody comes from an Octatonic scale starting on C#. It's the one that starts with a semitone. So. C#,D,E,F,G,Ab,Bb,B...etc.

He chooses Random Maj Chords that have these notes. C#M, G , etc.... War Of The Worlds.png

A similar trick but here the chords are just planing :

Best ED

Last edited:
Yes, extracted major triads from the half-whole scale. A favorite of Coltrane and other post bop players, too.

Last edited:
good music, but could you imaging a composer writing a score like that for a film today? They would probably be fired on the spot.

good music, but could you imaging a composer writing a score like that for a film today? They would probably be fired on the spot.

You could say the same thing about Planet of the Apes and The Taking of Pelham 123.

Sooner or later, directors are going to get bored of braaaams.

Pedal tones with chords on top generated from a scale are the backbones of todays film scores. Style might change but the principals are still the same.
This is true. It's a fabulous device, well worn for good reason, However I must say I find the sophistication and depth to the sound of theses vintage soundtracks conspicuously absent today !

best

ed

You could say the same thing about Planet of the Apes and The Taking of Pelham 123.

Sooner or later, directors are going to get bored of braaaams.
And is it possible to USE woodwinds as well (I have to 'camouflage' them now just to get approvals / paid. :) - Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes is still perhaps a top 5 score for me.

This is true. It's a fabulous device, well worn for good reason, However I must say I find the sophistication and depth to the sound of theses vintage soundtracks conspicuously absent today !

best

ed
Love this riff. I remember when I first heard it in War of the Worlds, I had to keep rewinding to listen until I could tell what was going on. :)

Top Bottom