Subscription licenses scare me

Discussion in 'OFF-TOPICS - General Musings' started by Nick Batzdorf, May 14, 2019.

1. mouse

mouse Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Way to find offense in a generic statement. Well done.

2. OP
    OP
    Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
  3. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Yeah that was a serious letdown and really pissed me off too. I just hope Adobe doesn't do this to all of their actual competition like Affinity. Money-wise they could just buy everyone who gets even close to offering an alternative, they're that big. It would take people that can't be bought and have the ideological persuasion that they're doing the right thing by competing directly with Adobe. And even then Adobe could probably bankrupt them by tying them up in unfounded lawsuits for years if they wanted to. The situation just sucks...

No, I actually read it as Adobe fucked over Dolby and sold software that uses their tech without paying the agreed upon license fees to Dolby, or at least they were bending the interpretation of their license agreement overly in their favour. I belief it is one of those cases where they knew it could happen and calculated that it's cheaper to get caught and sued, than to err on the side of caution and pay more for the licensed IP.

4. re-peat

re-peat Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Another **very** disturbing example of that occurred when Adobe announced axing Muse last year.

Some reactions:
    - "I don't know if what they are doing is illegal, but it sure is immoral."
    - "This is an outrage!!! My whole business and I have over 20 client websites built on the Adobe Muse platform."
    - "Adobe: you STINK!"
    - "You can't just pull the rug from underneath my company like this and I am sure hundreds and thousands of others around the world???"
    - "Enough already. What are the threshold requirements before a class action can be commenced?"

- "My business is now at real risk, my whole infrastructure has Muse at the epicentre."
    - "I have no words.... Actually, I do but they are all expletives, so I leave it up for imagination. I can only echo other people's comments here, because I am still aghast and shocked about Adobe's complete lack of customer loyalty and concern."

- "I am outraged, I have set up many web sites and spent a great deal of time with Muse and now all my investment will go down the drain. What am I going to tell all my clients?"

_

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    MA-Simon likes this.
  5. Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    Yep they scare me too.

For the reason you mention, and also because I don't want my main computer connected to the internet.

6. richard kurek

richard kurek Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    with so many options , i never buy into subscriptions , just what i need a other monthly payment

7. OP
    OP
    Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's how I feel.

8. josejherring

josejherring Senior Member

Monthly payments=kiss of death for most freelance musicians. Monthly payments were designed for people with 9-5 jobs.

For us, either we have the money to pay for our stuff or we don't. Painfully stretching it out indefinitely on a monthly basis is risky. On the other hand rent to own might work out okay. But, for me personally I would never risk growing dependent on a subscription in perpetuity till death do they charge.

That a lot of companies have resorted to a monthly payment plan means to me that most of their income doesn't come from pro level users but the part time hobbyist with a stable day job. That and the App market I think are the biggest threat to pro-level music tools.

Luckily for us many of the major music software developers and VI developers are still promoting their flagship products for pros but in the end if they can't stay solvent then they will start to look for other markets to peddle their wares as has happened with so many major companies in the past.

Companies that use to bang out 2-4 major products a year to compete are now relying on subscription markets of their old wares and apps. Not really innovating new stuff. Luckily for us though other companies and boutique companies that still care are starting to replace them.

9. OP
    OP
    Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ...assuming anyone is making a lot of money from subscriptions, which I'm skeptical about.

But sure, full-time professional musicians are a very small market.

josejherring likes this.
  10. josejherring

I think some companies are killin' it in that market. I was told by an insider of a particular company that this particular company is fully focused on that as their main revenue stream now. Sad.

11. OP
    OP
    Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I see you're not an avid enthusiast of that.

josejherring likes this.
  12. josejherring

I've avoided them like the plague. I literally have so many workarounds for not using PT it's hilarious.

13. OP
    OP
    Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I still use PT 10, even with its screen redrawing issues in current macOS versions.