What's new

Study of Orchestration (Steven Adler EDIT... or Samuel Adler)

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Thinking of buying The Study of Orchestration by Steven Adler and noticed there are different versions. The price difference between version 3 and 4 is quite a bit and I'm currently trying to live on a bit of a shoe string at the moment as I have moved from the UK to USA. Has anyone here read both the 3rd and 4th editions and if so, what is different about the 4th edition?

Thanks

Jono

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 3rd version comes with the audio content on CDs, while the 4th edition has them delivered via download, which is available for a limited time after the purchase.

Have you checked your local public library if it would have it available?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 3rd version comes with the audio content on CDs, while the 4th edition has them delivered via download, which is available for a limited time after the purchase.

Have you checked your local public library if it would have it available?

Interesting. I shall do some research about the audio content. I think I'd like to own the book instead of renting it. Just for any notes I may or may note deface the thing with. Thinking about it, I don't even know if there is a local library where I currently live. Spent pretty much all my time in a studio or at my apartment trying to make it "homely".

Attachments

• Jono Portable Music Lab NY.jpg
    Jono Portable Music Lab NY.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 116
Yes, definitely buy it when you have the chance! It's worth it's weight in gold. Just thought that a library book can get you up and running if you're in a tight spot at the moment.

I think I picked up the 3rd version used through Amazon. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the disks. From what I understand with the digital, you get it free with purchase for somewhere between 3 months and a year, then have to pay way more than you should to keep accessing the online information. So might as well get the earlier version.

Okay, wow, looking at the prices, you might want to wait until school is in session a little longer. Since I got it for $16 + tax at the beginning of September from a Goodwill and now it is about triple the price, I can only think it is so high because students are buying.

I just logged into my US Amazon account and turns out I had a $75 voucher in the account. Can't for the life of me remember how that happened so I just bought the Third Edition for $48! Amazing! I'll look at what audio/music I need to buy but considering I haven't paid anything, this has turned into a very good day after all.

I'm intrigued if there is anything else hugely lacking in the Third compared to the Fourth but it will probably take me a long time to digest the whole book anyway so I shall see how it goes!

There isn't much difference except for the recordings mentioned before. You won't get them with the third edition, but if you get the fourth edition you get online access for a certain amount of time.

I'm thinking probably not. Most of the stuff he talks about is covered by music that is not very new. I think you can probably listen to most of it on YouTube or a music streaming service.

Yep, let YouTube & IMSLP be your resource.

In addition to the Adler book you may eventually want to check out Piston's Orchestration or Kennan's Technique of Orch.

But regardless of which author you study, you are super on the right path right now looking at an orchestration text instead of any of those online "virtual orchestration" seminars! :)

Yep, let YouTube & IMSLP be your resource.

In addition to the Adler book you may eventually want to check out Piston's Orchestration or Kennan's Technique of Orch.

But regardless of which author you study, you are super on the right path right now looking at an orchestration text instead of any of those online "virtual orchestration" seminars! :)

I've been trying to write a purely orchestral piece with Samples and it's just so hard. Especially not reaching for Sound Design stuff to make transitions into new sections and avoiding all cinematic percussion. So far I have some wood blocks on 1 bar in the piece... So I figured I need to seriously get on it with some deep orchestral study haha

I've been trying to write a purely orchestral piece with Samples and it's just so hard. Especially not reaching for Sound Design stuff to make transitions into new sections and avoiding all cinematic percussion. So far I have some wood blocks on 1 bar in the piece... So I figured I need to seriously get on it with some deep orchestral study haha

Share it here when you're done!! :)

I have just read Rimsy Korsikov during the week (without audio examples) and my string writing definitely improved already..

I actually found the audio from Adler on a hard drive yesterday, and got out my second edition today to start into it..

There isn't much difference between the second and later editions so?..

Luke, if you're having difficulty writing orchestral stuff, then check out this free link and download the pdf. Wagner gives you great step-by-step examples on how to orchestrate from simple keyboard lines.

Check out p.61 and p.292 This will give you an overview of what this book is about, but it full of great material. Its a great compliment to Adler and I think you'll really find it helpful.

btw, there are many other gems online too if you know where and what to look for.

Luke, if you're having difficulty writing orchestral stuff, then check out this free link and download the pdf. Wagner gives you great step-by-step examples on how to orchestrate from simple keyboard lines.

Check out p.61 and p.292 This will give you an overview of what this book is about, but it full of great material. Its a great compliment to Adler and I think you'll really find it helpful.

btw, there are many other gems online too if you know where and what to look for.

Thank you! I shall check it out! Sounds great! Yes, writing Orchestral music is always difficult. Writing any music that isn't dogs brown is always difficult (for me).

This is really great. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Glad to help. As I said, there are many more great gems but I don't want to drown you with links. Feel free to contact me if you want ideas for additional material. Just like the golden oldie Korngold movies that are no longer on Netflix, there are lots of great orchestration resources that have been buried over the years. On one hand, its really sad. On the other its fun to find new gold!

btw, that is a pick ax for gold in your icon right? And not Friday 13th one to whack my head off? :barefoot:

Top Bottom