Studiologic SL88 Grand | Unboxing My New Adventure

Simeon

I have used a Studiolgic SL-880 for the past fifteen years and it had started to show some issues with the logic board. I am excited to embark on a new adventure with the Studiologic SL88 Grand and will be highlighting it along with my upcoming reviews. Join me for the initial unboxing and first impressions.

Gil

Hello Simeon,
Thanks for your reviews!
Very helpful and as funny it is, after watching your review of the VSL Bösendorfer Imperial I've bought it, and coincidentally my SL 88 Grand is arriving in 2 days :)
Take care and best regards!
Gil.

OP
Simeon

Simeon

Hello Simeon,
Thanks for your reviews!
Very helpful and as funny it is, after watching your review of the VSL Bösendorfer Imperial I've bought it, and coincidentally my SL 88 Grand is arriving in 2 days :)
Take care and best regards!
Gil.
Yes, it is funny how things sort of coincide with one another.
You are going to love the SL88 Grand; I have only been using it for a couple of days and it is as graceful as it is powerful, there is definitely more to come on that subject. I did my first live stream with it today featuring the Preparato library from @fcangia 's Xperimenta project, it was a lot of fun.

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarini GT 5300 Strada
You are going to love the SL88 Grand; I have only been using it for a couple of days and it is as graceful as it is powerful, there is definitely more to come on that subject.
Thanks for the feedback today in the live chat on the SL88... I'm 1.27315" away from pulling the trigger. Actually I just need a store to have one in STOCK, lol!

OP
Simeon

Simeon

Thanks for the feedback today in the live chat on the SL88... I'm 1.27315" away from pulling the trigger. Actually I just need a store to have one in STOCK, lol!
Yes,
There is a huge backlog of shipments due to the Covid-19 situation and the SL88s are manufactured in Fatar's factory in Italy which has made things a little delayed.
I am getting the 3 pedal controller Monday which I am very excited about trying out.

I am also learning the potential of having all of the different presets to customize key ranges and controller assignments, it makes things very exciting to unlock new potential.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the SL88 Grand.
I am planning on doing a possible Live YouTube stream to answer questions and to introduce some of my piano libraries to the new controller and pedals!

Best!

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarini GT 5300 Strada
Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the SL88 Grand.
I am planning on doing a possible Live YouTube stream to answer questions and to introduce some of my piano libraries to the new controller and pedals!

Best!
Thank you! That would be a great live cast. We all want to know how it feels for a pianist on piano vs playing in legato strings and brass, and the even bigger question is velocity... does it feel “right” and/or can it be easily tweaked. And if I may push it, answering those questions for VSL CFX, Steinway, plus Garritan and R275 would be off the chart. We simply can’t get that detailed comparison anywhere on the web and forget going to the store, nobody has these in stock as you know. You did an AWESOME VSL comparison a few weeks ago (which ”forced” me to buy the VSL CFX, lol!) but that was with your 880. The SL88 Grand will probably feel different and it’s all about velocity. I’m subscribed, ready when you are brother!