What's new

Studio One users, how do you find S1 for big orchestral projects?

+1

I've saved quite a few instruments as "Export Instrument + FX Preset..." and if I need anything it's just drag-and-drop and it's there. Works good for almost all single instruments as well as my hardware synths.

Oh how do you do that? Is that a V4 thing, or have I overlooked it in Version 3?

Oh how do you do that? Is that a V4 thing, or have I overlooked it in Version 3?
I *think* it's available in v3 as well...

Like this:
Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 10.40.00.png

"Store" and "Export" are the same thing but Export gives you the possibility to store it wherever you like and not in Kontakts presets.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 10.43.34.png

All those presets have any panning, FX and whatnot already applied. Reverb is "standard" in my template and the only thing (most often) I need to adjust after inserting the instrument.

This was the reason I didn’t go for Studio One after demoing it and I think multi core support is the #1 feature request by the users.

This was the reason I didn’t go for Studio One after demoing it and I think multi core support is the #1 feature request by the users.
For what it's worth Studio One can withstand a larger session with lower latency on my rig than Logic, so I guess it depends on more than just "multi core support"...

For what it's worth Studio One can withstand a larger session with lower latency on my rig than Logic, so I guess it depends on more than just "multi core support"...
I agree. I've never experienced a multi core problem using S1. I find it harder to navigate in S1 as the track count increases and the tabs fill up with VIs.

Sonar is multi-core. Studio One is not. Projects that run at 6% in Sonar run at almost 30% in Studio One.

Once some of you guys use a DAW that's actually multi-core, you'll understand.

Sonar is multi-core. Studio One is not. Projects that run at 6% in Sonar run at almost 30% in Studio One.

Well, that would leave about 70% left to go :)

I'll start my craving when the need comes, haven't yet. The demo song "Phat Hat - Phat Funk" with a latency of 16 samples gets the CPU meter moving to 4%. (Yes, I know it's not any multi core instruments in it but anyway.)

It doesn't have any articulation switching feature (like Cubase Expression Maps or Logic Articulation Sets), so it's mostly unusable for my workflow.

It's not just CPU usage. I find Studio One to be slow all around. Saving is slow. Loading instruments is slow. Loading a project is slow. It becomes slow when using an x amount of tracks, even when disabled, because of the stupid way it handles tracks as objects even then...

It's a really good program with a great workflow, but the load and save times truly get on my nerves.

It's not just CPU usage. I find Studio One to be slow all around. Saving is slow. Loading instruments is slow. Loading a project is slow. It becomes slow when using an x amount of tracks, even when disabled, because of the stupid way it handles tracks as objects even then...

It's a really good program with a great workflow, but the load and save times truly get on my nerves.
Another thing I haven't noticed, maybe because I tend not to work on projects that have more than 40 tracks in Studio One since I find other things about the program get very kludgy when using high track counts. Its autosave is more intrusive compared to other DAWs and about 80% of the time it crashes on closing the program or project if I have used Kontakt. And it's guaranteed to crash on close if I use it for more than about 15 minutes. I mean, if it's going to crash, that's a good place for it to crash, but it's still annoying. (I also reported it to support on several occasions, but they've never been able to resolve the issue, which I've been having it since about SO 3.2.) Load time for me doesn't seem any different than Logic for a similar sized project.

Studio One definitely works best for a 'build as you go' composing process - and its workflow is pretty much designed to function that way.

So if you need a massive pre-built template, it isn't the best solution.

I've got around a lot of its limitations by creating a huge collection of instrument presets. I've then organised the presets into folders by instrument group, and also as 'templates'. So I can just open up a 'template' folder, select all and drag the whole lot into the project window, it takes seconds.

I've then created a very simple Macro which names all the channels in the mixer, inserts an EQ preset on all selected tracks and assigns them to a bus. I also use Keyboard Maestro to then trigger the bus name dialogue.

So for example, I can select my Brass tracks, press the key command and they'll all be named, have an EQ preset applied, routed to a new bus with a pop up asking for the bus name. The whole process is instant.

In many ways I find that faster than working with a template.
If you did a screencast video on all that I'd BUY it. Srsly.

Also, if you use Kontakt in Studio One, make sure to turn on the Multi-core support in the Kontakt settings! If you check the warnings in Kontakt, it says to not turn it on if your DAW uses Multi cores because it'll cause conflictions. Because I used Sonar which was excellent with multi-cores I used to leave it off.

When I switched to Studio One, I had a lot of problems using even mid-level kontakt libraries in Studio One without the meter pegging in the red on even a moderate number of notes. When I figured out that Studio One doesn't utilize multi-cores, I switched on the multi-core support in Kontakt, set it for the number of cores I have, and then Kontakt's usage dropped a huge amount and then I didn't have issues using libraries in Studio One.
You are the NHL Start of the Week with this post. Thanks!!

For very large templates, using Slave PCs with VE-Pro is the safest, and most reliable way to go, that imho. applies to any DAW that has to deal with a huge track count template.

I love working with Studio One Pro 4, it is very stable (I'm on PC-Windows 8.1 Pro), and for large template work, I use two slave PCs via VE-Pro 6. I was a Cubase Pro 9 user, but the workflow in S1Pro 4 is fast, and wonderful compared to Cubase, I also feel Cubase is getting too clunky, with too many features, and it is slow to open, and save projects, S1Pro 4 just feel a lot snappier for me.

Hopefully Presonus will update it with more Scoring/Orchestral composer related features that will make it more efficient, productive, and suitable for this type of genre. I think the next big upgrade with new features will be Studio One Pro 4.5.
As a new guy to this, I was considering jumping ship on S1 even though it's the only DAW I've ever used (coming from all-audio mixing and LOVING S1 for that). Cubase Pro 10 is $332 to crossgrade from Studio One Pro. But reading this and others, I just don't want to give up the things that ARE great (Drag-Drop, Mastering, great overall sound for audio, built-in Melodyne, etc etc). MNot to mention the 5 years of familiarity with the UI. So since I'm a VI noob, I think I'll stay put and have faith that Studio One will grow faster than me, lol! There's also the new VEP 7 announcement that now allows a single license and pre-orders at $167USD after the conversion, seems like a way to deal with the CPU probs. Anyway, thanks for the post, I think I'll stay on deck for now.

So if you need a massive pre-built template, it isn't the best solution.

I've got around a lot of its limitations by creating a huge collection of instrument presets

Thank you so much, @jonathanwright. (I applied your ideas after you posted them on the Studio One board here last summer). This has revolutionized (or at least greatly sped up) my workflow in Studio One. I now have a series of shortcuts/presets for individual Kontakt instruments, organized by sections (brass, strings, woodwinds, piano, percussion, etc.) of my favorite patches. Somewhat akin to a large template, but different. Drag and drop and that instrument/patch is loaded and playable. I can't compare it to using a template in Cubase, but for me, I'm happy with this arrangement.

Frankly, until you need it, I would stick with anything but Cubase. I find it very frustrating to use coming from ProTools and Sonar. Whereas S1 is easy. And maybe it is me, but when I load an instrument and have to exit and restart just to get the midi modifiers to activate so I can select an arp, it is a problem. And it happens a lot, but there is no rhyme or reason as to why something will work or not work. Though when it does work, it is still frustrating. You have to select the whole track - as in all items in the track - prior to opening the midi edit, if you want to edit more than the single bar. No other DAW works this way. Protools and S1 let you edit multiple midi tracks at the same time. Cubase doesn't have that. So there are pluses and minuses to midi in Cubase.

Studio One is multi-core aware. If I remember correctly the main difference between ie Logic and S1 is that Logics AU implementation will drop processing to a minimum if no data (midi or audio) is present under the playhead whereas S1 will constantly process all plugins even though AU and VST3 would allow dynamic processing.

Thank you so much, @jonathanwright. (I applied your ideas after you posted them on the Studio One board here last summer). This has revolutionized (or at least greatly sped up) my workflow in Studio One. I now have a series of shortcuts/presets for individual Kontakt instruments, organized by sections (brass, strings, woodwinds, piano, percussion, etc.) of my favorite patches. Somewhat akin to a large template, but different. Drag and drop and that instrument/patch is loaded and playable. I can't compare it to using a template in Cubase, but for me, I'm happy with this arrangement.

You're welcome, and thanks very much. it's nice to know it's come in useful!

Top Bottom