What's new

Studio One - How to export stems with BUS FX?

David Han

Hi! I'm trying to export stems in S1 and I can't figure out how to export each stems with BUS FX printed on them.

So for example, I have Horns and Trumpets and I group them and create a brass bus channel to control all the brass instruments together. When I go to export stems and select Horns and Trumpets, the processing I've done on the brass bus channel isn't applied.

Does anyone know how to export stems with BUS FX applied? Is it possible on S1? If not, is there a workaround on this?

You may need to solo and export. Granted I'm a Logic user, but this is a reality I run into from time to time in a couple DAWs... It's a fairly common DAW issue. (It's also one of the reasons why some people print stems to a 2nd machine. See below for more about this...)

Basically in many DAWs the 'export tracks' option exports audio directly from each track. This means it ignores any routing you may have on the track like busses, auxes, etc.. This is why it can be speedy compared to rendering through the mix bus.... If you could include all routing on each track this would require the DAW to more or less process each track thorough its entire signal path including the mix bus one track at a time, and would take a suuuper long time.... Even if it ignored the mixbus over all it would basically take you the same amount assuming your mixbus isn't loaded with a bunch of stuff...

Perhaps the Transform to Audio Track feature has an option to include busses? (Which I think S1 has). I don't remember for sure, but your best bet would be to see if transform has a tick box to include bus routing. If so you'd need to transform all tracks to audio before... (In which case you might as well just solo and export as it will ultimately take the same amount of time...)

P.S.... In Logic you can re-record from busses... A lot of Logic composers have stem prints pre-routed to audio tracks and just re-record the session to print tracks by arming the print tracks and recording from the busses in real time.. If S1 allows you to record from an internal bus this would be the fastest solution. If the project has a hard time playing back smoothly you can use S1's freeze (forget what they call it but sure you know what I'm talking about...)

Last edited:
You may need to solo and export. Granted I'm a Logic user, but this is a reality I run into from time to time in a couple DAWs... It's a fairly common DAW issue. (It's also one of the reasons why some people print stems to a 2nd machine. See below for more about this...)

Basically in many DAWs the 'export tracks' option exports audio directly from each track. This means it ignores any routing you may have on the track like busses, auxes, etc.. This is why it can be speedy compared to rendering through the mix bus.... If you could include all routing on each track this would require the DAW to more or less process each track thorough its entire signal path including the mix bus one track at a time, and would take a suuuper long time.... Even if it ignored the mixbus over all it would basically take you the same amount assuming your mixbus isn't loaded with a bunch of stuff...

Perhaps the Transform to Audio Track feature has an option to include busses? (Which I think S1 has). I don't remember for sure, but your best bet would be to see if transform has a tick box to include bus routing. If so you'd need to transform all tracks to audio before... (In which case you might as well just solo and export as it will ultimately take the same amount of time...)

P.S.... In Logic you can re-record from busses... A lot of Logic composers have stem prints pre-routed to audio tracks and just re-record the session to print tracks by arming the print tracks and recording from the busses in real time.. If S1 allows you to record from an internal bus this would be the fastest solution. If the project has a hard time playing back smoothly you can use S1's freeze (forget what they call it but sure you know what I'm talking about...)
Thank you for the detailed explanation! I guess re-recording within Studio One would be the only option for now... Just curious, do all composers go through this when they export stems? or is there some advanced pricey way to do this somehow?

Did you use "Channels" in the Export Stems dialog? You need to use "Tracks".
Thank you for your reply! I could use "Tracks" instead but I'm exporting stems to send to a mastering engineer and that would be way too many files and also, I can't export the reverbs separately if I use "tracks"...

Not sure if I understand completely, but are you using the reverbs as an insert or a send? The routing could be the issue and it's not giving you enough flexibility to export the reverbs separately or together.

Not sure if I understand completely, but are you using the reverbs as an insert or a send? The routing could be the issue and it's not giving you enough flexibility to export the reverbs separately or together.
The reverbs as a send! When I go to export stems and select "Tracks", the reverbs sends don't show because they're not tracks.

You may have to bus that Horn/Trumpets track with FX send to another bus and then select that track to export. Does that work?

You may have to bus that Horn/Trumpets track with FX send to another bus and then select that track to export. Does that work?
I think that would work, but it's not exactly what I'm trying to do. I don't have reverb sends on my bus channel. So I'm not concerned about reverb sends.

What I would like to get is Horns (with bus channel processing), Trumpets (with bus channel processing), and reverb. All 3 separately.

Hmm, I think that might be a two step process then. Printing the Horns and Trumpets, then the Reverb alone separately. Hope that helps! Not sure if there are any alternatives

Top Bottom