What's new

Studio One 6 is coming!

sundrowned

Well, they are very "small" workflow tweaks in the grand scheme of things, so I imagine they won't be a priority. Also, as you stated (being the official Presonus rep here), you don't think it is an inconsistency, so unlikely for it to get traction internally - though it is a very different experience from all other DAWs and requires a break in muscle memory for people trying to migrate to S1. (And I'm not the only person who feels this way as evidenced by the other comment above)
My issue isn't actually so much the piano editor shortcut vs double clicking. I can easily enough make a double click shortcut for that. For me it's being able to quickly switch between multiple and single tracks in the piano editor. In logic it's a double click to switch between single and multitrack view, in cubase you can just have multiple editors open with different views. There's no quick way if doing it in S1.

ALittleNightMusic

Professional Amateur
My issue isn't actually so much the piano editor shortcut vs double clicking. I can easily enough make a double click shortcut for that. For me it's being able to quickly switch between multiple and single tracks in the piano editor. In logic it's a double click to switch between single and multitrack view, in cubase you can just have multiple editors open with different views. There's no quick way if doing it in S1.
Yeah that's also quite a pain.

Sombreuil

Does anyone know if there is a better way (as in easier) to do the following routing in Studio One 5-6 (I'm still using version 4)?

Since I use a lot of granular instruments, I always need to setup a listen bus/track in order to record what I'm currently hearing. In order to do so, I create a bus that I call "Return" and route it as a send into the track where the instrument is, and then I add a second track where the recording goes.

Akoustecx

Electro Acoustic Excursions.
There's no quick way if doing it in S1.
The tracklist in the piano roll is helpful for this, as it allows you to display, and enable editing, of each individual track, though if you're working with a large template, you'd need to gather the tracks you wanted in the arrange window before it became useable, as they're displayed in their order there. Adding mute/solo style functionality to the display and edit toggles would go a long way to making me happy.

Akoustecx

Electro Acoustic Excursions.
Although I probably should say there is kind of a way but it isn't in the manual. In the piano editor track list you can alt click to show all tracks and click either side of a colour bar in a track name to only show that track. But there should just be a toggle for it.
Ahh, posted at the same time!

vitocorleone123

UI preferences aren't much different from artistic preferences.
That's not necessarily true.

(spoke as a professional UX researcher and designer)

Also, it looks like Cubase has taken a LOT of visual cues from Studio One (and other sources), since Studio One hasn't changed much, visually, and Cubase has.

Reactions: EgM

sundrowned

The tracklist in the piano roll is helpful for this, as it allows you to display, and enable editing, of each individual track, though if you're working with a large template, you'd need to gather the tracks you wanted in the arrange window before it became useable, as they're displayed in their order there. Adding mute/solo style functionality to the display and edit toggles would go a long way to making me happy.
Yes it's quite helpful but like you say with larger track counts it's not particularly user friendly.

Lukas

My issue isn't actually so much the piano editor shortcut vs double clicking. I can easily enough make a double click shortcut for that. For me it's being able to quickly switch between multiple and single tracks in the piano editor.
- Single tracks: Double-click the event in the arrangement to see only this event/track. If only one track is currently visible in the editor, it's enough to just select it (no double-click needed). So you can switch between tracks very easily and fast.

- Multiple tracks: Select multiple events, either by drawing a selection or with Shift.

If you select an event that is part of the current multi view, it becomes the "focus" track in the editor (notes are highlighted, automation is shown for that track). That way, you can switch between different parts in the arrangement to clearly see in the editor which is which. I find it extremely convenient if you got used to it.

To make sure you see only selected events in the Editor, double-click them.

Yeah that's also quite a pain.
What is the problem exactly? It seems to me that you haven't really explored the multi-part view yet. (Assuming that you even want to explore it and not just want it to be exactly like Cubase or Logic.)

sundrowned

- Single tracks: Double-click the event in the arrangement to see only this event/track. If only one track is currently visible in the editor, it's enough to just select it (no double-click needed). So you can switch between tracks very easily and fast.

- Multiple tracks: Select multiple events, either by drawing a selection or with Shift.

If you select an event that is part of the current multi view, it becomes the "focus" track in the editor (notes are highlighted, automation is shown for that track). That way, you can switch between different parts in the arrangement to clearly see in the editor which is which. I find it extremely convenient if you got used to it.

To make sure you see only selected events in the Editor, double-click them.

What is the problem exactly? It seems to me that you haven't really explored the multi-part view yet. (Assuming that you even want to explore it and not just want it to be exactly like Cubase or Logic.)
The issue I have is

1) if I have multiple tracks selected in the editor but want to work on one and hide the others I have to either click out of the editor, deselect all the events I don't want and then double click the event I do want, or click and drag down on the visibility dots. It's a few too many clicks.

2) if I have multiple tracks selected in the editor but want only one to be edit enabled at a time I have to triple click in the track list, or click and drag the edit icons. Again slightly too many clicks.

Maybe I'm being picky but I'd prefer if there were some more shortcut keys to reduce the amount of clicks to do those things. Particularly as they are easier in logic and cubase.

*there is a kind of workaround I mentioned above but it also has a few quirks that make it not ideal.

Lukas

1) if I have multiple tracks selected in the editor but want to work on one and hide the others I have to either click out of the editor, deselect all the events I don't want and then double click the event I do want, or click and drag down on the visibility dots. It's a few too many clicks.
Not at all, you only need to double-click the one you want.

But switching between a multi view of tracks/events selected in the arrangement and single view of one them is an interesting point. What about a keyboard shortcut to toggle between both?

ALittleNightMusic

Professional Amateur
Just as sundrowned mentioned, if you have multiple tracks selected in the piano roll, but then want to quickly focus on one (say there are overlapping notes, so you want to just see one part clearly), in order to do that, you have to scroll the track list view, find the track, alt-click it (though the hitpoint for that is super small - why can't you do it on the name of the track in the track list?). Or go back to the arrange view and select just the event that you want (which means you are switching back and forth between views) and then have to go re-select all of the events that you had selected initially. In Logic, you can just double click on the note and it hides all other parts until you double click again. That's an objectively faster workflow. In Cubase, if you want just one of the parts to be editable, there's shortcut keys to cycle through the multiple parts and only make active part editable. As far as I can tell, S1 doesn't have that and you have to resort to going through the track list - which if you have a template of hundreds of tracks, is objectively slower.

Correct me if I've got any of the above wrong with my exploration of multi-part view.

S1 does many things well and even better than other competitors - but to ignore what competitors do better is a recipe for disaster (in any business).

Last edited:

sundrowned

Not at all, you only need to double-click the one you want.
Yeah no fair point. I'm partly going off memory here. But it still requires going into the arrangement window or track list, scrolling to the track you want and double clicking it. Wouldn't it be great if you could just toggle between whatever track is open in the editor and all tracks or all visible tracks, rather than having to click somewhere.

But switching between a multi view of tracks/events selected in the arrangement and single view of one them is an interesting point. What about a keyboard shortcut to toggle between both?
Exactly. A keyboard shortcut for that would be great to reduce scrolling and clicking.

Luzebel

I just subscribed to sphere and scratch that, I really dig the new UI. It's less blocky than before and the new icons are cute. The video track makes it way more useable for scoring, I'll try that soon.

THW

Just as sundrowned mentioned, if you have multiple tracks selected in the piano roll, but then want to quickly focus on one (say there are overlapping notes, so you want to just see one part clearly), in order to do that, you have to scroll the track list view, find the track, alt-click it (though the hitpoint for that is super small - why can't you do it on the name of the track in the track list?). Or go back to the arrange view and select just the event that you want (which means you are switching back and forth between views) and then have to go re-select all of the events that you had selected initially. In Logic, you can just double click on the note and it hides all other parts until you double click again. That's an objectively faster workflow. In Cubase, if you want just one of the parts to be editable, there's shortcut keys to cycle through the multiple parts and only make active part editable. As far as I can tell, S1 doesn't have that and you have to resort to going through the track list - which if you have a template of hundreds of tracks, is objectively slower.

Correct me if I've got any of the above wrong with my exploration of multi-part view.

S1 does many things well and even better than other competitors - but to ignore what competitors do better is a recipe for disaster (in any business).
I would love shortcut keys to cycle through multiple selected parts…was trying to figure out how to do that but I guess it’s not possible…that would really speed up working with string arrangements, as an example.

ravez

how do you cycle through the selected parts in cubase via a shortcut? do you know how it’s called? thanks!

Akora

Does Studio One have any way to export your music as a MusicXML? If not, what would be the best approach to get my Studio One music exported in a way that can then be loaded into notation software or Musescore as sheet music?

I can't read or work with pure sheet music, so I have to rely on the Studio One score view to generate it for me...

ALittleNightMusic

Professional Amateur
how do you cycle through the selected parts in cubase via a shortcut? do you know how it’s called? thanks!
Look up "Edit - Activate Previous Part" / "Edit - Activate Next Part" in key commands. I use that along with "Edit Active Part Only" to move very quickly through multiple parts (like when working on a string or brass or woodwind section).

Al Maurice

Does Studio One have any way to export your music as a MusicXML? If not, what would be the best approach to get my Studio One music exported in a way that can then be loaded into notation software or Musescore as sheet music?

I can't read or work with pure sheet music, so I have to rely on the Studio One score view to generate it for me...
Still not possible -- as of 5 and it seems vs6: https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/d...udio_One_6.0_Reference_Manual_EN_29092022.pdf, you'll need to synchronise with Notion. Otherwise you'll left with the quantise start and end trick, then export as MIDI.

Hopefully Presonus get's round to migrating this feature soon ...

Akora

Still not possible -- as of 5 and it seems vs6: https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/d...udio_One_6.0_Reference_Manual_EN_29092022.pdf, you'll need to synchronise with Notion. Otherwise you'll left with the quantise start and end trick, then export as MIDI.

Hopefully Presonus get's round to migrating this feature soon ...
So if I buy Notion and sync it with S1, does Notion "record" everything I make in S1 as sheet music which can then be exported? Also, how do I account for things like modulation/expression, since this does not get caught by the S1 score editor?

Top Bottom