What's new

Studio One 5.4 Released

Also, for people having CPU problems... stay off the 64 buffer guys. You really don't need to go that low and with heavy projects, it is asking for trouble, even on high end machines. 256 is responsive enough. At least, for me. If you are really sensitive, 128 will do the trick. I've personally never needed to go to 128.

Alas, it's a shame I can't use higher dropout protection settings. Record enabled track on a buffer of 256, the rest on a higher buffer, which was the intention of dropout protection. The doubling of the CPU usage, however, renders this completely moot.

I hope Presonus one day takes a look at this and refines it. As it is right now, using it is no different than upping the buffer yourself when you start mixing. It might work with tracking live instruments and vocals, but it certainly doesn't work as advertised with VSTi's.
I only use 64 or 128 at 96khz when using/tracking hardware synths. Otherwise it’s 256 or 512 when mixing.

I went into the feature requests page for Presonus the other day and was surprised to see that performance issues are not among the most requested complaints from users.

I love S1 but things get crazy when you arm a track, CPU use is pretty insane. I imagine that solving those issues would require a deep rewrite of the audio engine but it’s absolutely necessary. S1 is significantly worse than every other DAW when it comes to this.

If this is not a priority for Presonus I understand, but I will have to look for another DAW if they decide that it’s not a priority for them (not that they care). Let’s wait until v6 to see where development goes.
It's possible that hobbyists and enthusiasts who don't run sessions that large dominate the respondents on that site. That is the risk of running a forum or web-based feedback site. You have no control over what component of your user base ends up dominating the responses there.

Beyond that, the obvious bias is that Studio One simple is not a go to for composers or producers who are likely to require huge track sizes, anyways.

Producers in the Pop, R&B. Hip Hop and EDM markets will rarely eclipse 80-100 tracks.

Has anyone else encountered a problem where the GUI of Studio One gets really choppy and slow after opening a project? It's not even a big project (around 70 tracks or so, and not much mixing done yet).

And if I close Studio One and reopen the same project, it's fine again (though I have to say, I'm overall not too happy with S1's GUI performance once projects get bigger, Cubase seems to stay much smoother in that regard).

Not sure if this is 5.4 related or I just have never encountered it before (been using Studio One for only ~3 months), but it happened twice so far, both times after updating to 5.4.
This is on W10 FWIW.

Producers in the Pop, R&B. Hip Hop and EDM markets will rarely eclipse 80-100 tracks.

More than 40 tracks tells me y'all don't do your housekeeping right.

I write the loudest hybrid orchestral wubbadub and even I don't eclipse that number of tracks.

What do y'all do to get these track counts, single mic every singer in an 80 person choir?

More than 40 tracks tells me y'all don't do your housekeeping right.

I write the loudest hybrid orchestral wubbadub and even I don't eclipse that number of tracks.

What do y'all do to get these track counts, single mic every singer in an 80 person choir?
If you do vocals that can really bloat track counts. Similar to drums in EDM and other genres.

the “set time offset to cursor” and “set frame offset to cursor” still doesnt seem to really work.

when i type the desired time or frame offset into the song setup page, it puts that time at the very beginning of the project, bar one. if i then go to say bar three and use that new command”, it simply resets the time to 00:00:000 at bar three.

am i missing something here?

the “set time offset to cursor” and “set frame offset to cursor” still doesnt seem to really work.

when i type the desired time or frame offset into the song setup page, it puts that time at the very beginning of the project, bar one. if i then go to say bar three and use that new command”, it simply resets the time to 00:00:000 at bar three.

am i missing something here?
This is the only thing I want them to get absolutely right before I can use S1 for all of my work. They need to think about it musically and not in a computer friendly way. The empty bars before the start of the cue should be calculated after you decide the tempo of your cue and adapt if you change it afterwards etc. The anchor point is the starting timecode of the cue. DP is the only DAW in my experience that gets this almost right.

We don't know what the starting timecode of the sequence will be until the tempo is set. Count-in measures should have the same tempo so S1 needs to calculate negative measures no matter what the resulting timecode will be.

Lots of great new features.

Are any other users on Mac Pro 6,1s (trashcans) able to use graphics acceleration in 5.4? It appears that as they’ve finalized in their Metal support in version 5 it’s not compatible with all Metal GPUs. The GUI code crashes constantly with acceleration enabled. The same projects operate flawlessly in Cubase with acceleration enabled.

Hi,

I just wanted to praise the new Improved Autosave Behavior non-intrusive feature in Studio One Pro 5.4, this is a great improvement, especially if you use VE-Pro 7 Instances coupled with S1Pro.

The new Autosave does not interrupt the audio when saving, it all happens very fast in the background, which also means I can set the Autosave interval shorter, i.e. every 1 min, or 2 min.

Looking forward to S1Pro 5.5

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I'm sorry to say this, but that's not quite true. Autosave does not happen in the background. It's just that autosave no longer takes place during playback.

I'm sorry to say this, but that's not quite true. Autosave does not happen in the background. It's just that autosave no longer takes place during playback.
OH..I see. I thought it was happening in the background. Would this be possible to implement in the future ?

But it's still a good improvement when working with VE-Pro 7, I don't notice any audio interruptions/glitches.

One thing that I'm wondering about sound variations is if it's identifiable via UACC in this sense: I'm have a track that's assigned with UACC and I'm recording in midi via a keyboard and I'm changing the variations with a slider on the keyboard (say CC32, 1 = Long, CC32, 21 = Legato), Studio One doesn't seem to change based on that.

From the videos I've seen you either assign it via click on the notes, or clicking and selecting the variations before recording midi notes.

Is there a way to select the variations via CC or keyswitches (which I haven't tried)?

UACC is output only. The idea of Sound Variations is actually to abstract away that complexity (sending certain CC events from an input device) and make these articulations more easily accessible.

The probably easiest ways to switch Sound Variations are:

- Via keyswitches (keys on your keyboard)
- Via commands ("Apply Variation" 1-20) through buttons on a MIDI controller, through keyboard shortcuts in Studio One or through macro buttons
- Recalling certain variations (Sustain, Legato, Shorts etc.) directly via macros ("Find and Apply Variation")
- Studio One Remote (1-20 or by names)

Is there a way to select the variations via CC or keyswitches (which I haven't tried)?
Keyswitches -> yes. CCs -> Yes but only by learning each Variation to one CC number (CC32 = Long, CC33 = ..., CC34 = ...), that's probably not what you want.

From the videos I've seen you either assign it via click on the notes, or clicking and selecting the variations before recording midi notes.
It works while recording MIDI notes too...

As always, I can't give any information about what PreSonus is currently working on. But what I can say is that PreSonus is aware of the problem and there have already been certain performance tweaks in the last updates. But some more work is required. I can't give you any time frame and can't promise anything, except that I'm still pushing for this issue to be a priority.
In your opinion, and I know you're not officially talking for Presonus, what are the chances Studio One will support multichannel audio, which I obviously hoped would come for Studio One 5.1, in a year or two?
The sooner the better, what with the Dolby Atmos push in music, 3D audio in games, and the object based / immersive audio.

Found another possible solution, albeit more expensive. I'm trying the demo of BC Patchwork. Much more flexible, of course. For a price. All told, going this route (vst2/vst3) would cost me a total of ~$100 to add a feature that should have been built-in years ago.

But it's important for me for hardware. For example, adding the LFE hardware unit for my OB-6 would cost $800 and take up space. While that's better, it's also limited to 3 LFOs I think. $100 is decidedly cheaper, since I also already paid for the CodeKnobs VST editor when I ordered my OB-6 in early '20.

I'll see if I can get Patchwork to NOT nap while everything else does.

EDIT: By using the VST2 version of Patchwork it won't sleep! JRR Shop has it for $88, and PB have a 20% coupon if you have Scaler 2. I'll have to pick it up soon.

EDIT 2: I'm having a LOT of fun with adding all these LFOs I might add.
If you have time please do a video on your Midi LFO experiments.

what are the chances Studio One will support multichannel audio, which I obviously hoped would come for Studio One 5.1
Indeed, Studio One 5.1 would have been the best possible version to introduce surround support :grin:

I really can't make any predictions. The only thing I can really say is obvious, which is that it will come at some point...

UACC is output only. The idea of Sound Variations is actually to abstract away that complexity (sending certain CC events from an input device) and make these articulations more easily accessible.

The probably easiest ways to switch Sound Variations are:

- Via keyswitches (keys on your keyboard)
- Via commands ("Apply Variation" 1-20) through buttons on a MIDI controller, through keyboard shortcuts in Studio One or through macro buttons
- Recalling certain variations (Sustain, Legato, Shorts etc.) directly via macros ("Find and Apply Variation")
- Studio One Remote (1-20 or by names)

Keyswitches -> yes. CCs -> Yes but only by learning each Variation to one CC number (CC32 = Long, CC33 = ..., CC34 = ...), that's probably not what you want.

It works while recording MIDI notes too...

Thanks for such a thorough answer. It gives me something to think about on how I'm going to make my workflow work.

Is it possible to filter musical symbols/articulations and copy/paste them to another track? I can drag select and copy/paste directions such as dynamics and legato but not staccato because the latter are attached to notes.

I prefer to compose in Dorico and then export the midi to Studio One for mock-up using VSL. Now that musical symbols can be mapped to sound variations, it appears that the inability to filter symbols to copy/paste across tracks is a limitation to an otherwise excellent implementation of automatic sound variation generation with VSL.

Many Greetings to everyone!

I have had some weird performance issues with SO5, that I never experienced in SO4, and I somehow arrived to an unexpected and even bizarre solution that actually worked.

My issue was that even when using just one instrument, like Keyscape, and start recording the CPU load would start around 20% and within one minute would reach 100% (or maybe 200%) and then stay there, not permitting me to play a single note without dropout.

I had the recommended minimum dropout protection, and everything was set just like in SO4 - but it was impossible for me to record for more than 40-50 seconds.

Then after a lot of investigation and experimentation, I simply switched the graphics card from my NVidia to the integrated Intel card.

Believe it or not - this solved the problem!

So, if you have two cards in your system, you can try using the integrated card with Studio One.
This might work for you also!

Namaskar!

Top Bottom