What's new

Studio One 5.1 released!

Been playing around with the new update and quite enjoy it! I always preferred the Studio One workflow over Cubase and seems like that hasn't changed. :)

My biggest issue so far is with the automation lanes in the midi editor. As far as I can see there is no way to assign shortcuts to different automation lane views, no? In Cubase I have a few keyboard shortcuts assigned to show "Modulation", "Velocity", "Expression" etc. and IMO it's absolutely vital for fast midi editing.
Also, why can't I remove all those automation tabs in the automation lane? I'll rarely to never use things like "After Touch", "Keyswitches" or "Pitch Bend", yet they clutter the view and make it harder to spot the things that I DO actually use.

My biggest issue so far is with the automation lanes in the midi editor. As far as I can see there is no way to assign shortcuts to different automation lane views, no? In Cubase I have a few keyboard shortcuts assigned to show "Modulation", "Velocity", "Expression" etc. and IMO it's absolutely vital for fast midi editing.
Also, why can't I remove all those automation tabs in the automation lane? I'll rarely to never use things like "After Touch", "Keyswitches" or "Pitch Bend", yet they clutter the view and make it harder to spot the things that I DO actually use.
Both are valid points!

@lucor Although - as I said earlier - automation lanes can't have a focus currently... so if you have opened five automation lanes... which one should chang its active tab when you press these key commands? How does that work in Cubase?

Last edited:
Been playing around with the new update and quite enjoy it! I always preferred the Studio One workflow over Cubase and seems like that hasn't changed. :)

Yes, but there's something better(at least in my taste).
Tap plus icon and change height as you need. Then you can assign a hotkey for "show/hide" those lanes. It allows us to see automation and midi editor opened on almost entire screen. And what I like about this is I don't have to endlessly switch between those automation tabs.

Edit
The only problem with the feature that hotkey somehow doesn't work in Pattern editor. Don't know why they added it for midi editor, but didn't for the pattern one.

Last edited:
Well, what you said before is the key command wouldn't work at all ;) It does - but the Pattern Editor apparently needs to have at least one automation lane which can't be removed.

Don't know why they added it for midi editor, but didn't for the pattern one.

So my CPU issues were solved by setting the dropout protection to maximum with block size 1024. I believe this is what Logic does automatically for you in the background.

Must say that note input in the score editor is very fast - really like that. Cubase's note editor is horrible and needs an update in comparison.

Edit: May have spoke too soon. Is there an easy way to change the note duration in the score editor without deleting the note and re-inserting?

Last edited:
So my CPU issues were solved by setting the dropout protection to maximum with block size 1024. I believe this is what Logic does automatically for you in the background.

Must say that note input in the score editor is very fast - really like that. Cubase's note editor is horrible and needs an update in comparison.

Edit: May have spoke too soon. Is there an easy way to change the note duration in the score editor without deleting the note and re-inserting?

Turn on Duration Bars. Or open the Event List or an Event Float in tandem with the score editor.

Last edited:
I installed S1 today to check it out. I was impressed and am going to try and run a big template in it for fun soon. I found one issue though that might be a dealbreaker for me. I use analysers on my master bus as an integral part of my workflow. When dropout protection and low latency is active on any given armed track, these analysers down the chain (either on a bus, or Main out don’t work at all for the armed track, which makes working in real-time while playing an instrument more difficult. Kinda strange since ASIO guard in Cubase has no issues with this.

Hi Blakus,

why analyzer do you use?

Studio One automatically bypasses plug-ins which are inserted on a channel with activated low latency monitoring if these plug-ins introduce a latency of 3 ms or higher. I'm not sure if that's the case for your analyzer... but you can easily find out the latency of your analyzer ... either by opening the Performance window and select "Show Devices" or just by looking at the "Total Plug-In Delay" panel below the Sample Rate in the status bar.

For example, as soon as I insert Ozone into my master FX chain, the latency suddenly increases from 0 to > 100 ms (!).

ozone.png

I recently did some tests with Pro Q3 and had latencies over 1500ms. No low latency monitoring possible in this case...

Last edited:
Hi Blakus,

why analyzer do you use?

Studio One automatically bypasses plug-ins which are inserted on a channel with activated low latency monitoring if these plug-ins introduce a latency of 3 ms or higher. I'm not sure if that's the case for your analyzer... but you can easily find out the latency of your analyzer ... either by opening the Performance window and select "Show Devices" or just by looking at the "Total Plug-In Delay" panel below the Sample Rate in the status bar.

For example, as soon as I insert Ozone into my master FX chain, the latency suddenly increases from 0 to > 100 ms (!).

ozone.png
The plugins are all 0 latency And that latency report says 0ms also for me. It’s something to do with the way S1 routes armed channels with low latency, it seems to go through a separate unseen processing chain or something, which I understand ASIO guard does also - except Cubase’ s works as expected. It just seems silly that it would ignore any analysers down the signal chain. If I insert the analyser on the armed channel (as opposed to the master channel) it works fine, (but that’s not practical). The problem disappears as soon as I turn off dropout protection. Btw, this is with any analyser, including one that comes with S1, I’ll keep experimenting, thanks for the help.

Also... did you check out the Studio One internal analyzer? I don't know your exact requirements but I really like the Studio One analyzer... it even has the "segments" algorithm (you now... the one from RME's DigiCheck :) I love it).

spectrum.png

How are people finding Sphere? Is the additional content worth the price? I don’t think I’ll get much use from Notion, and I can cross grade to S1 but I kind of like the colab features and maybe the workshops.

Do wish Presonus had some mechanism for switching from Sphere to a full version of S1 after some time.

The plugins are all 0 latency And that latency report says 0ms also for me. It’s something to do with the way S1 routes armed channels with low latency, it seems to go through a separate unseen processing chain or something, which I understand ASIO guard does also - except Cubase’ s works as expected. It just seems silly that it would ignore any analysers down the signal chain. If I insert the analyser on the armed channel (as opposed to the master channel) it works fine, (but that’s not practical). The problem disappears as soon as I turn off dropout protection. Btw, this is with any analyser, including one that comes with S1, I’ll keep experimenting, thanks for the help.
Which low lacency monitoring mode do you use? Green or blue Z?

Z Mode = Single routing. Without bus / master chain on the monitoring. I normally just drag the analyzer to the single channel temporarily. Alternatively you could use Sends to send the signal to the analyzer.

Sorry...written quickly from the smartphone on the go...

Which low lacency monitoring mode do you use? Green or blue Z?
its just the virtual instrument monitoring while dropout protection is on. I don’t think it’s green or blue. I think I know what the problem may be, it looks like it just directly monitors the track and doesn’t process through the mix buses while the track is armed. This is a bit of a bummer! Guess I’m back to Cubase. 😂

btw the inbuilt analyser is great! There’s definitely a lot to like about S1

Last edited:
its just the virtual instrument monitoring while dropout protection is on. I don’t think it’s green or blue.
It depends on the Dropout Protection settings (Options -> Audio Setup -> Processing).

I think I know what the problem may be, it looks like it just directly monitors the track and doesn’t process through the mix buses while the track is armed. This is a bit of a bummer!
Not at all... ;) That would mean all reverbs / delays I have on busses wouldn't apply while I'm recording on an instrument track. Of course they do.

Top Bottom