What's new

Studio One 5.1 - features for large orchestral templates

Back again with another question...

Since setting up instrument presets I've noticed that for some reason, when I select and drag Kontakt instruments saved as Studio One presets into the main frame, they present a 'instrument not initialized' error (Spitfire libraries) or the instrument will refuse to sound (Afflatus). The error only occurs when dragging and dropping the preset to create a new track and channel in the mixer. If I drag it onto a track that already exists, then the instrument will load. My previous method of dragging Kontakt to create a new track and then selecting samples from the Libraries view still works, too.

Kind of defeats the point of setting up all those presets for easy creation of new tracks when I have to revert back to my previous method to avoid this error. :sad:

This is only a problem for libraries using Kontakt. Dragging Engine 2 instruments into the main frame loads them correctly.

Is this an issue with Studio One or Kontakt? I don't see how I can use Studio One instrument presets while this error continues. A real bummer.
Have you tried recreating them? Maybe something went corrupt...

Indeed this sounds VERY weird. I've never had or seen this. But did you try the usual things... restarting Studio One (maybe even the computer)?

Can you post a screenshot of this error message? I assume the message is shown by Kontakt and not Studio One?

So far, restarting my computer hasn't helped and the problem is present across all projects.

The error message showed up specifically in my Spitfire libraries. Afflatus didn't have an error message but it refused to sound. I went to take a screenshot of the message just now in Chrysalis but it's not showing up even though the instrument still refuses to sound. The GUI displays correctly but it doesn't respond to any midi or onscreen keyboard input.

After fiddling around a bit more I discovered that some presets ARE working and some are not. Afflatus no; Tundra yes; Chrysalis no. That's promising.

I searched the internet and found that other people have also encountered this kind of error, but there doesn't seem to be consensus on exactly what causes or fixes it.

I don't know why using Studio One presets in particular triggers it. As previously mentioned, loading Kontakt on its own and then selecting instruments from the Libraries view works fine.

I think I'll just remake the presets for the affected libraries. Maybe something got broken when I was creating them.

The macros are interesting! I've been using Logic, but I'm thinking about switching to another DAW.

Is it possible to control the macros with an external controller? And how good are the controller assignment possibilities of Studio One in general?

I'm asking, because I have an APC Mini programmed to select instrument sections/colour groups and single instruments (e.g. Solo Violin, Flutes, Horns). If I click a button, Logic jumps to this specific track.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 32
Is it possible to control the macros with an external controller? And how good are the controller assignment possibilities of Studio One in general?

I'm asking, because I have an APC Mini programmed to select instrument sections/colour groups and single instruments (e.g. Solo Violin, Flutes, Horns). If I click a button, Logic jumps to this specific track.
Yes it should work with your APC Mini. At least I have no problems assigning the buttons on my old Axiom Pro 61. You have to add the APC Mini as a control surface and then you can learn these controllers and assign commands to them.

Last edited:
I did a quick video on setting up a MIDI controller (or keyboard) as a control surface to trigger commands and macros.

It's important to either add it as a control surface (instead of keyboard) because otherwise you wouldn't get the "MIDI Learn" button. Then you need to set the controller to "button" instead of "knob" (because you can't assign commands to knobs).

I did a quick video on setting up a MIDI controller (or keyboard) as a control surface to trigger commands and macros.

It's important to either add it as a control surface (instead of keyboard) because otherwise you wouldn't get the "MIDI Learn" button. Then you need to set the controller to "button" instead of "knob" (because you can't assign commands to knobs).

Thank you very much! Looks easy.

Is there an option/macro for "jumping" (= selecting) to a track, as in my example? Sorry for asking, but I have absolutely no clue of what's possible with Studio One.

Yes it should work with your APC Mini. At least I have no problems assigning the buttons on my old Axiom Pro 61. You have to add the APC Mini as a control surface and then you can learn these controllers and assign commands to them.

Hi Lukas,

A million Thanks for posting this video. This is a game changer for me, since I'm trying to design my custom Lemur based faders for CC, buttons for Key-Switching articulations for various libraries, Buttons for Key-Commands, and Macros, and that's where I got stuck. Since I couldn't do that using Lemur.

Well.. now I can setup Lemur buttons to send key-commands and macros, I'm extremely Thankful, and happy you posted this, you deserve a medal for this post. :2thumbs:

Oh.. and I'm still looking forward to watch your part 2 video about organizing Instrument Presets in S1. By the way, I decided to use the Music Loops method, which is quite powerful, and easy to use.

Cheers
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Awesome!! :) Glad to hear. Let us know how it works for you. I know how to do it in theory but I don't have such a sophisticated touch screen controller setup. Maybe a nice pre Christmas project.

Yeah... part two of the video... I'm on it. Some family things going on and the usual December stress but I hope I can finish it soon :)

This looks like the right place to ask my question, and sorry if it's been answered before: is there any way to filter the track list in the edit view? I like being able to see the ghost notes from other tracks in the editor, but with an orchestral template the list is waaay too long to be practical. And I can't find any way to filter them. Any ideas?

You can't filter the Editor Track List currently.

Why do you need this Track List? I usually have it hidden because when I do multi-part editing (string or brass arrangements), I only need to click one note to switch to another voice/track so I don't really need the Track List there.

Why do you need this Track List? I usually have it hidden because when I do multi-part editing (string or brass arrangements), I only need to click one note to switch to another voice/track so I don't really need the Track List there.

Haha nevermind, I just figured out the proper workflow. I'm very new so S1 and I didn't realize the arranger track list selection can control the edit view visibility too.

Thanks to the new 5.1 update we finally have decent visibility management in Studio One for easier navigation in a larger template.

I did a video that shows my personal TOP 5 features. I apologize for my English - nobody will miss that it's not my first language :grin:

Before 5.1 I made some scripts for myself that cover similar functions (Only Show Tracks with Events, Filter Tracks, Search Tracks) that worked quite well (although not quite as fast as the 5.1 features) but I'm really happy that PSL now added them natively. The great thing (in my opinion) is that all commands are available as commands so we can assign key commands to them and these can be used in macros.

Because I got so many requests to publish my Orchestral Template Toolbar, I made a second video to showcase the macros in my template (420 tracks).

It's no magic, it's just macros I built for myself to filter different instrument sections or sample libraries and navigate through my template (when folders like STRINGS, BRASS etc. are used). Pretty easy to create them with the new macro commands. I uploaded 4 macros ("Show Tracks with Events" and 3 "Navigate" macros) that can be duplicated to create own ones. But for everyone who does not want to do the work to add the buttons for every sample library, you can get them for the value of a coffee (because it took me some hours to figure out the best search strings for the > 100 library names). (If it's not allowed to post the link, let me know and I remove it.)

The 4 macros can be downloaded by clicking the "preview" link in the top right corner.

ShowTracks.gif

Maybe it's helpful for some. There are a couple of different ways to do this... for example, if you don't use folders and want to filter or search the tracks anyway, you could search strings like "Violin", "Viola", "Cello" etc. instead of "Strings". These would find tracks like "Areia Violins Pizz" too although they are not in a STRINGS folder. Maybe this approach doesn't work as reliable as the folder solution (unless you have one common thing like "Perc" or "Pandora" or "True Strike" to get your percussion tracks, for example).

Did someone already check out the new features? Do you use the "Find Track" / "Find Channel" function? And are there commands you miss (for example I miss "Show Tracks with Selected Events" or a native version of my "Show Tracks with Events" macro)?

Cheers, Lukas

I have a question about this, is it the toolbar by itself and we need to create the tracks to coincide with it or are the tracks on the left already created as well?

It's just the toolbar and the custom macros assigned to it.

You have to create the tracks yourself anyway - I don't know which libraries you have so my tracks are rather useless for you I guess. I never add tracks for all patches of a library... I always play through the patches and see which of them I like best. So I think this is always a matter of taste.

Oh.. and I'm still looking forward to watch your part 2 video about organizing Instrument Presets in S1. By the way, I decided to use the Music Loops method, which is quite powerful, and easy to use.
Okay, this one took more time... :grin:

I included the method of inserting effects in order to keep the multi outs in the presets and musicloops... which is still a workaround but it works fine and I'm sure PreSonus will change this behavior at some point.

Ok so now I can do multi part editing by ctrl+clicking tracks and I can see the notes in the background. So far so good. But then I'm running into this problem where if I highlight a bunch of notes, it selects notes from the background track too. With the edit view track list, I could click on the pencil icon next to a track to imply that I want to see that track but not want to have it editable at the same time. I can't seem to do that with the arrangement track list.

There's also a weird selection persistence thing. Say I click on Violins 1, then I shift or ctrl click on Violins 2, then viloas, celli, etc. Now they are all visible and editable. But assume I wanted to remove the violas from that selection. I can't seem to do that without clicking some other track that was not part of the original selection (e.g. some brass track), which cancels the entire multi-edit mode.

Am I making sense? What is the easiest way to turn on/off visibility of notes from another track in the edit view? Is there a way of doing that without using the edit track list?

There's also a weird selection persistence thing. Say I click on Violins 1, then I shift or ctrl click on Violins 2, then viloas, celli, etc. Now they are all visible and editable. But assume I wanted to remove the violas from that selection. I can't seem to do that without clicking some other track that was not part of the original selection (e.g. some brass track), which cancels the entire multi-edit mode.
This is a bug in the current 5.x versions. Before - in 4.x - you could add and remove parts from the multi edit view by shift+click. Currently, parts can only be added this way... but when you shift+click a part again, it does not disappear. It's a bug and I hope it will be fixed soon.

Ok so now I can do multi part editing by ctrl+clicking tracks and I can see the notes in the background. So far so good. But then I'm running into this problem where if I highlight a bunch of notes, it selects notes from the background track too.
Yes, if you draw a selection it will select notes from all visible parts. One workaround is to select the single notes manually by holding shift and clicking on them. Or: If you need to edit the whole part, you can press Ctrl/Cmd+A to select all notes. This will select only notes from the currently focused part.

Once the multi part selection bug is fixed, the visible parts can be easily toggled - as in 4.x.

Top Bottom