What's new

Studio One 5.1 - features for large orchestral templates

It’s part of the VST3 standard. It would be useful. if more VST developers included it, you can bet the DAW developers would get on board....

So you agree with me that it's up to the sample library developers to start talking about some standards?

I mean, as long as Kontakt is VST2... not much is gonna change...

1000%

Edit: it needs to be a heavyweight, though. Perhaps a VST developer wouldn’t have enough clout.

It’s all there in the VST 3 standard from Steinberg. Just needs to be deployed...

I agree with you btw. But unless Kontakt is going VST3, not much is gonna happen.

When Kontakt is gonna go VST3, well in fact all of Native Instruments starts going VST3, then stuff is gonna happen. I mean, Omnisphere too is still VST2. But I agree, it's high time for all of them to switch over. (For real, parameter automation in Omnisphere is so frickin' outdated it hurts... I mean, right click to enable host automation? What for?)

I'm testing Studio One coming from Cubase and the one thing I miss the most is the option to create track presets and assign custom tags searchable in the browser (media bay in Cubase). Can you do that in Studio One? I looked everywhere and saw someone asking the same question on Facebook the other day, no answer... seems like a basic thing that I can't figure out how to do.

I'm testing Studio One coming from Cubase and the one thing I miss the most is the option to create track presets and assign custom tags searchable in the browser (media bay in Cubase). Can you do that in Studio One? I looked everywhere and saw someone asking the same question on Facebook the other day, no answer... seems like a basic thing that I can't figure out how to do.

Studio One wipes the floor with Cubase in that regard, so rest happy.

Edit: I'm sure some other users are gonna give you help with this. But rest assured, Studio One's system is much better.

In software development things take time. You just need to be patient.

I get you but I learned from a developer friend of mine that investing in VST2 right now is just...really stupid...

It's the equivalent of developing a game for Unreal Engine 3...

People were surprised that Studio One focused on scoring users at all. Now it happened. So what!? :) People claimed that PreSonus would ignore them. They didn't. It only took some time.

I get you but I learned from a developer friend of mine that investing in VST2 right now is just...really stupid...
Nobody said OT had "invested" in VST2. They support it. Of course they do, it's still the standard which all host support. Now they are (probably) working on VST3 support. :) I wonder why people often accuse companies / developers of certain (bad) intentions. They just release something... and then people get angry because they haven't implemented the 10.000 other things :grin:

Last edited:
Studio One wipes the floor with Cubase in that regard, so rest happy.

Edit: I'm sure some other users are gonna give you help with this. But rest assured, Studio One's system is much better.
I hope so because I'm clueless here.

I hope so because I'm clueless here.

Studio One doesn't have tagging in the same way as Cubase. Preset search is very simple and robust though. I've written an article on using presets which may help.

https://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com/use-studio-one-and-instrument-presets-for-large-orchestral-projects/
Once you get used to it, along with Folder buses, the workflow is very fast.

Hopefully PreSonus can innovate on their keyswitch system in a way that lets users define (compensate) latency per articulation setting so there is no need for negative delays and such. It would also allow to have notes tight on the grid but playing back correctly etc.

We agree on all points. It's on the developers to develop standards. The DAWs will then follow. Otherwise, how are people gonna use VSL inside Pro Tools and Digital Performer, which both don't feature any articulation features... yet are still seen as both being some of the top composing DAWs. Isn't that a little strange? Are sample library developers gonna leave those two behind while they are still in the upper echelons of film scoring usage?
I don't think Pro Tools is used that much with midi, do you? And the users of DP - I have been there - are mainly complaining about the lack of articulation management, so hardly by numbers, one of the top composing DAWS.
But it's a silly discussion. Nobody will expect users who have invested maybe more than 20.000$ on libraries to pick a DAW, that doesn't support all those fancy articulations.

Cool, I noticed UJAM also imports keyswitches but it broke note overlapping with their drums :(

I do notice that your wrench icon on the left is still there with Halion, with UJAM the wrench isn't there so you can't bypass it.

Top Bottom