Studio One 5.1 - features for large orchestral templates

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
Thanks to the new 5.1 update we finally have decent visibility management in Studio One for easier navigation in a larger template.

I did a video that shows my personal TOP 5 features. I apologize for my English - nobody will miss that it's not my first language :grin:

Before 5.1 I made some scripts for myself that cover similar functions (Only Show Tracks with Events, Filter Tracks, Search Tracks) that worked quite well (although not quite as fast as the 5.1 features) but I'm really happy that PSL now added them natively. The great thing (in my opinion) is that all commands are available as commands so we can assign key commands to them and these can be used in macros.

Because I got so many requests to publish my Orchestral Template Toolbar, I made a second video to showcase the macros in my template (420 tracks).

It's no magic, it's just macros I built for myself to filter different instrument sections or sample libraries and navigate through my template (when folders like STRINGS, BRASS etc. are used). Pretty easy to create them with the new macro commands. I uploaded 4 macros ("Show Tracks with Events" and 3 "Navigate" macros) that can be duplicated to create own ones. But for everyone who does not want to do the work to add the buttons for every sample library, you can get them for the value of a coffee (because it took me some hours to figure out the best search strings for the > 100 library names). (If it's not allowed to post the link, let me know and I remove it.)

The 4 macros can be downloaded by clicking the "preview" link in the top right corner.

ShowTracks.gif

Maybe it's helpful for some. There are a couple of different ways to do this... for example, if you don't use folders and want to filter or search the tracks anyway, you could search strings like "Violin", "Viola", "Cello" etc. instead of "Strings". These would find tracks like "Areia Violins Pizz" too although they are not in a STRINGS folder. Maybe this approach doesn't work as reliable as the folder solution (unless you have one common thing like "Perc" or "Pandora" or "True Strike" to get your percussion tracks, for example).

Did someone already check out the new features? Do you use the "Find Track" / "Find Channel" function? And are there commands you miss (for example I miss "Show Tracks with Selected Events" or a native version of my "Show Tracks with Events" macro)?

Cheers, Lukas

Last edited:

ALittleNightMusic

Great tutorials! I noticed you use CSS - how do you deal with the advanced legato delay? Do you play ahead of the beat or do you manually shift each note depending on the velocity after the fact?

OP
Lukas

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer

CSS ... the old legato delay problem. To be honest, I tend not to overthink this. Maybe it's because I'm a jazz musician and I'm used to adapting my playing to the sound (a church organ has a certain latency, a fender rhodes has a slight latency and a piano has very little latency :) ). And as I usually record passages in real time I get used to the different delays depending on the velocity. And if the timing of a phrase is not as I would like it, I nudge it... but usually I do this by ear and not by recalling numbers.

I think that legato is generally more tolerant than short articulations (staccato, spiccato, pizzicato). When I record or program staccato or spiccato ostinato lines, I quantize them hard. For short notes I like to have it on the grid and I use track delay for that (which is finally working great in S1 since 5.0.1). But when it comes to legato... I think people make it more difficult than it needs to be. I record my melody, listen to it, edit it if necessary and that's it.

That's why I don't use any of the (very sophisticated) Kontakt multi scripts. I made a "Nudge by ms" / "Nude back by ms" script exactly for this so that I can nudge the notes in 1 ms or 10 ms steps depending on the macro... but I never really use it.

But course that's only my opinion and how I work... I understand everybody who wants an exact solution and I would prefer if CSS would get an update with the option to have the same delay for all legato modes.

Okay... very long answer :grin: TL;DR: I play ahead of the beat.

OP
Lukas

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
I've deployed the first update of the Orchestral Template Toolbar :)

Here is what I've added:

- "Show selected Tracks" button
- New macro / menu item for filtering libraries by "Native Instruments" (will filter all essential KOMPLETE libraries that are interesting for scoring... NOIRE, Una Corda, Grandeur, Maverick, The Giant, The Gentleman, Alicia's Keys etc.)
- New macro / menu item for filtering libraries by "Audiobro" (LASS, Genesis etc.)

Orch Template Tools 2.png

https://payhip.com/b/0OeW

Hopefully PreSonus will add more filter commands in the future so these can be used in the Toolbar as well. I personally still miss a "Show Tracks with Selected Events" command.

AndreasHe

I tried once to make a big template with more than 300 instruments. But then, even if I disabled the instruments, the CPU load was realy high - around 90% - no way to start composing at all. My PC is not the oldest and I have a lot of RAM.

It surprises me that it works on your PC. How is your CPU load, Lukas?

OP
Lukas

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
That sounds like something is seriously wrong. The template in the video above has about 350 tracks... but most of the tracks are disabled so these instruments aren't loaded into memory at all so they shouldn't consume any CPU. My CPU load is pretty low - I will take a look at the exact value tomorrow.

Two questions: What is your buffer size? And do you use the Studio One Dropout Protection (Dual Latency Engine)?

AndreasHe

When had this template problem I tried different settings - but I can't remember well which exactly.

Currently I use these settings:

1604395209326.png
1604395228140.png

But what is your experience regarding that?

And yes, disabled instruments should not take any load at all - that is what confused me.

Now I simply cloned 300 tracks of disabled Novo and see a load of 11% CPU. Even that is a bit strange to me as they are disabled. I am not sure if it was maybe more a problem with filters or something around.

And now, for the quick test, I did not use any folders.

AndreasHe

A question regarding your large template. You sorted it in categories like "Brass", "Strings" etc. How do you manage frequencies then?

So far I always make template like "Bass", "Lead", "Strings/Low", "Strings/Low-Mid" etc. And then I forward the whole group to a Bus cutting e.g. high frequencies a bit from Bass/Low instruments. The idea is to have less work at the end.

Do I see it right in your video, that It will only work if I use groups like "Woodwinds", "Brass", "Strings" - independend the frequency? Or what would happen if I add subfolders like "Strings/Low"?

OP
Lukas

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
But what is your experience regarding that?

And yes, disabled instruments should not take any load at all - that is what confused me.

Now I simply cloned 300 tracks of disabled Novo and see a load of 11% CPU. Even that is a bit strange to me as they are disabled. I am not sure if it was maybe more a problem with filters or something around.
I hardly look at the exact CPU load... unless I don't get dropouts or glitches, everything is fine. The thing with these meters is that this value is not very meaningful. It's only a very rough indicator that shows how likely it is to get dropouts. See it more as a dropout probability. I just loaded my template: With 26 enabled instances of Kontakt it shows a load of 9%. When I deactivate all Kontakt instance except one, it's still 9%. When I activate this instance too, it goes to 3%. That's interesting.

Your Dropout Protection is set to Medium (BTW: these values are just aliases for actual buffer sizes). What happens if you set it to Maximum? I usually set it to Minimum as long as everything works smoothly... When I get dropouts because of too many instruments / effects in the song, I set it to Maximum :grin:

You mentioned a CPU load of 90%. In the Performance Monitor you can enable "Show Devices". Now you see more detailled which plug-ins cause this CPU load. Could you check that?

kontakt.png

OP
Lukas

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
So far I always make template like "Bass", "Lead", "Strings/Low", "Strings/Low-Mid" etc. And then I forward the whole group to a Bus cutting e.g. high frequencies a bit from Bass/Low instruments. The idea is to have less work at the end.

Do I see it right in your video, that It will only work if I use groups like "Woodwinds", "Brass", "Strings" - independend the frequency? Or what would happen if I add subfolders like "Strings/Low"?
The buttons in my template are just examples with pre-defined names. If you have a "Strings/Low-Mid" folder, just right-click the button and edit the macro (change "Strings" -> "Strings/Low-Mid"). You can duplicate and customize the buttons / macros as you like...

I just saw someone on Facebook who loaded my toolbar and built his own buttons with his own icons... that was exactly my idea: You can load the template toolbar and use it as it is. But as everyone has his own workflow, it's much more interesting to load it and change it to your liking :)

buttons.png

AndreasHe

Ah ok. I will give it a try. And great this payhip solution for such things. Before I always assumed an own shop is required to sell something.

Now I loaded the large template again with Studio One 5 and it does not looks so hard anymore (Studio one 4 before). Not I got a load of ca 15%.

But a stupid thing regarding those large templates is; load/save takes a lot of time, even the instruments are disabled. I am still not sure what a good workflow is regarding large-orchestral setups.

Did some experiements with macros to delete unused tracks, but was not successful. Maybe that will work easier with your macro if there is a way to show tracks without enabled instrument or without content.

ennbr

I was seeing about a 12-15% load when using a 600+ track template even with all the tracks disabled. I've since changed from a Track template to a Template in the Files section of Studio One using music loops. Works just as well speed wise as enabling a track in my old template now I just drag and drop the instrument onto an empty track and start writing.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.13.40 AM.png

AndreasHe

Oh that is a great idea! I did not know about that feature. Just tried it. Ok, you need a second step, to insert an empty track before as inserting to a folder or so does not work. But the possibility of a preview is a great benefit - just a pitty that autoplay in browse window does not work.

Do you have a way (macro?) to make those exports to musicloops easier?

matthieuL

But a stupid thing regarding those large templates is; load/save takes a lot of time, even the instruments are disabled. I am still not sure what a good workflow is regarding large-orchestral setups.
Hasn't the 5 release a new feature to only save data and not all the instruments stuff ?
I have not S1 (yet), but it seems a real game changer !

OP
Lukas

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
Ah ok. I will give it a try. And great this payhip solution for such things. Before I always assumed an own shop is required to sell something.
It's kind of a shop... well, a very basic shop... but it's very modular but very easy to setup. I love it :)

Did you try to enable Options -> Locations -> User Data -> "Use cached plug-in data on save"? This should speed up saving a lot.

Did some experiements with macros to delete unused tracks, but was not successful.
What does that mean? You can simply create a button and assign "Hide unused tracks". Or assign it to a key command. As long as you only need that command alone, you don't need to create a macro.

Oh that is a great idea! I did not know about that feature. Just tried it. Ok, you need a second step, to insert an empty track before as inserting to a folder or so does not work. But the possibility of a preview is a great benefit - just a pitty that autoplay in browse window does not work.
It should work. You can drag a musicloop between two tracks. You can drag them before or after folders. Works here.

Do you have a way (macro?) to make those exports to musicloops easier?
How could it be easier? You simply drag an instrument part from your song to the files tab of your browser. That's all!? :) It will save the note / part automation data, the instrument, insert fx and a FLAC file so you can preview the phrase before loading it into the song.

Last edited:

AndreasHe

Hasn't the 5 release a new feature to only save data and not all the instruments stuff ?
I have not S1 (yet), but it seems a real game changer !
It seems to be a bit faster. But to save the empty project takes already 20-30 seconds.

AndreasHe

Did you try to enable Options -> Locations -> User Data -> "Use cached plug-in data on save"? This should speed up saving a lot.
Tried now with it enabled, but it does not change anything for saving time for an empty template.

What does that mean? You can simply create a button and assign "Hide unused tracks". Or assign it to a key command. As long as you only need that command alone, you don't need to create a macro.
Thought about a quick way to remove all unused tracks to keep the project small and also quicker load/save.

It should work. You can drag a musicloop between two tracks. You can drag them before or after folders. Works here.
Hmm, does not work for me. The mouse shows a symbol that I can not drop it.

How could it be easier? You simply drag an instrument part from your song to the files tab of your browser. That's all!? :) It will save the note / part automation data, the instrument, insert fx and a FLAC file so you can preview the phrase before loading it into the song.
To have a useful preview it should have a some notes in. Those you need to create first. If you copy them from a different track, the new part has the same name as the origin and the exported file takes the event name. Better would be to take the track-name, which is more the instrument name.

OP
Lukas

Lukas

Keyboardist / composer
Tried now with it enabled, but it does not change anything for saving time for an empty template.
You have to try more than one time - for the case you didn't. The cache has to be created first.

Thought about a quick way to remove all unused tracks to keep the project small and also quicker load/save.
That's exactly what "Hide empty tracks" does.

Hmm, does not work for me. The mouse shows a symbol that I can not drop it.
Did you do anything differently?

wrong.gif

To have a useful preview it should have a some notes in. Those you need to create first. If you copy them from a different track, the new part has the same name as the origin and the exported file takes the event name. Better would be to take the track-name, which is more the instrument name.
Well. I don't see the problem, to be honest. Double-click the track name and press Shift+Enter to rename all events on this track.