What's new

Studio one 5.1 and Cubase 11 for Orchestral, film, Heavy stuff

I think Presonus could simplify the naming of those CC lanes - but also improve the CC lanes in general (ability to change the defaults, controller lane sets, key commands to bring up specific sets, etc).

Anyway, glad you're trying S1! I think it will continue to improve! (I've gone back to Cubase for now because some of the smaller issues really added up and hindered my workflow, but hoping they get them fixed soon. I reported probably like 10 bugs since 5.2 released).
Well I also returned to Cubase today. Metagrid doesn`t work at the momemt with S1, and I don`t think the editor handles CC in a way, that I can live with. Some of the VSL instruments has 10 CC, just to hard in S1. But the Sound Variations rocks!

Well I also returned to Cubase today. Metagrid doesn`t work at the momemt with S1, and I don`t think the editor handles CC in a way, that I can live with. Some of the VSL instruments has 10 CC, just to hard in S1. But the Sound Variations rocks!
Yeah I understand the pain. It is almost there - and getting better as Sound Variations demonstrates. I'm hoping by 5.3 / 5.4, it'll really have resolved some of the workflow issues. Cubase is no slouch in the end - there's a reason why so many professionals and hobbyists use it!

Why not use Studio One remote? You can literally fill it with every macro, including for Sound Variations, you want.

This workflow is actually one of the drivers for me using it over the metagrid/logic workflow.

Late to this thread but I just wanted to say Logic is probably the best all-rounder hands down. I produce mainly electronic music, using Ableton Live at the moment, but I want to explore orchestral which clearly Ableton was not designed for. Studio One was quite promising a few years ago, but now Presonus seem to have lost motivation because a lot of features have been releaed in a half-baked state and remained so for years and years and it doesn't look like they have any intention to revisit those features since they keep adding new stuff but not devoting dev time to the old stuff that needs finishing off, which is annoying. I bought v2, v3 and v4, but decided v5 was not worth and didn't upgrade.

But the best all-rounder does not work particularly well on Windows :grin:
Yeah that's the thing. I'm a Windows user myself, and been one for 20-odd years, so I'm quite invested in Windows. I tried MacOS full-time back in 2007 for a whole month and wasn't impressed, so I ended up returning the Mac Pro and stuck with Windows. It's been a while since then, so maybe things are better now? Windows is imperfect, it's plagued by niggling issues, inconsistencies and annoyances, but it also gets many things right—a bit like FL Studio.

I might check Apple's return policy in my country, if they are happy to let me test-drive a Mac Mini with Logic for a month, I'm willing to give that a second chance. All I can say is... I have a feeling if Apple released a Windows version of Logic, some existing users would switch back to Windows, and they would probably sell a huge amount of Logic licenses.

Yeah that's the thing. I'm a Windows user myself, and been one for 20-odd years, so I'm quite invested in Windows. I tried MacOS full-time back in 2007 for a whole month and wasn't impressed, so I ended up returning the Mac Pro and stuck with Windows. It's been a while since then, so maybe things are better now? Windows is imperfect, it's plagued by niggling issues, inconsistencies and annoyances, but it also gets many things right—a bit like FL Studio.

I might check Apple's return policy in my country, if they are happy to let me test-drive a Mac Mini with Logic for a month, I'm willing to give that a second chance. All I can say is... I have a feeling if Apple released a Windows version of Logic, some existing users would switch back to Windows, and they would probably sell a huge amount of Logic licenses.
Logic licenses are 1/10 the cost of the average decent macbook. They’d be giving up sales of their finite product (computer hardware) for a software product that would need to be sold at a minimum of 10 times the rate.

Logic licenses are 1/10 the cost of the average decent macbook. They’d be giving up sales of their finite product (computer hardware) for a software product that would need to be sold at a minimum of 10 times the rate.
Sure, I wasn't implying Apple would actually make more money from making Logic PC-compatible and selling more licenses. I was merely saying they would sell more licenses but, as you say, overall profit would be less which is the reason they don't do it. Even if they made a Mac version that was basically free and a PC version that cost $800, it would still be unprofitable because of piracy. With Apple software the hardware becomes the anti-piracy dongle, which can't be pirated anymore since the M1.

Top Bottom