What's new

Strings, strings everywhere – Which should I buy?

Sears Poncho

Heard a lot about Studio Strings and it does seem like somewhat of a logical choice as I already own SCS
Take an hour or two and watch the various videos on Youtube, there are many. Start with this. RIght in the beginning, he does a great job of explaining and demonstrating the various mic positions.

jaketanner

Would you mind sending me that track as well? :D Heard a lot about Studio Strings and it does seem like somewhat of a logical choice as I already own SCS ... :)
If there is something specific you want to hear from the strings, I may be able to give an example. However, I think given the vast array of possibilities with this library, it would be hard to give one example and say THIS is what it sounds like...because it can sound many ways, and what works for me may not work for you. But as Poncho suggested, the walkthrough videos are fairly decent and the demos on their site are also good. Will it sound like AIR studios, not really...can it sound like a symphonic string section...it is, and it can but with a lot more detail than a washy lush sound (not that it's a bad thing).

One thing to keep in mind that some walkthrough and demos show the libraries in their basic form, meaning they may not take the library to it's max potential...more an "out the box" experience...but in reality, you are going to take the library and process and play with the mics and levels, and add your own reverbs and whatnot...so point here is, that it could sound better than what you hear in the demos with a little effort. Also context is everything, and depending on your composition, they will sound totally different.

Sears Poncho

I think given the vast array of possibilities with this library, it would be hard to give one example and say THIS is what it sounds like...because it can sound many ways,
Check this out. I did a little legato viola lick. THis shows 5 ways, there are endless. THe second one is one of the first chair mics alone. The last one is the biggest. It's really "Don't like the sound, hit some buttons". I didn't use any outside reverb.

Attachments

jaketanner

Check this out. I did a little legato viola lick. THis shows 5 ways, there are endless. THe second one is one of the first chair mics alone. The last one is the biggest. It's really "Don't like the sound, hit some buttons". I didn't use any outside reverb.
5 out of dozens of possibilities.. LOL I like that with all combinations, there is still a distinct clarity. Might not sound 'cinematic" or CSS like, but it can certainly sound like it belongs in an orchestra.

Top Bottom