What's new

Strings for a large orchestra. What to do...

Alright, after a lot of thinking and listening I figured y'all might be curious about my decision.
Well, I found that I really liked both the Appassionata and LASS sounds the most but using a library that not everybody else is using as well weighs heavily in my consideration. And since the prices are not that far apart I'm going for Appassionata. However, it also means I have to wait as I can't spend the required funds right now. What still has me puzzled is the big price difference between regular and synchronized Appassionata, unless they plan to make a separate synchronized Appassionata 2.
While I'm waiting to attain the required funds I'm going to blend in Orchestral Strings from VSL to fill in the missing articulations, but I plan to remove that again once I have the full Appassionata library. I'm not a fan of blending libraries for the same instrument. Given the high cost, it'll be a while before this template thus achieves it's final form.

I've just seen that currently Hollywood Strings Gold is on sale for $132 these days. Maybe worth checking, it's really a huge sound.

Well, it's finally happened. I got Appassionata Strings vol. I, the basic edition.
Meanwhile I kept working on the demo I posted, and made others as well using the same template. Each time I kept adjusting the mixing, the placement of the instruments, etc.
I now have 3 demos in total, including a re-worked version of the one I posted at the start of this thread. I wonder what you think...
Is the mix right? Is the reverb correct for each instrument? Would you change their location in the panning? Did the Appassionata end up being the right choice? Let me know after listening to these 3 demos...

So for Austin Wintory's cover challenge on Twitter ( ) I decided to take this template for a spin again. The assignment was to orchestrate his theme in any way we want. Given that I don't often get to go 'big' in my music, I took the opportunity to do it this time.
I'm still quite happy with the Appassionata Strings! It's sickly sweet, it's overly dramatic, it's just the way I wanted it for this template.
Here's my entry to his competition:

Tice,

This is a response to your all of your posts in this thread.

The VSL line allows you more control over samples than any other library (my SSD's are full of them). However, to get the most out of VSL = EXPENSIVE (all of their VI string libraries) and time consuming
(If I wouldn't have bought all the other libraries I wouldn't have known how great VSL is). Attached is a screen shot and MP3 (quick sketch - one time play through) of Violins Appassionata. I use a breath controller (Hornberg),VEPro,MIR Pro (I do not like a lot of hall reverb-but that is adjustable for your taste) and mix the Dimension strings to give detail (long learning curve). After buying some of the other brands I would notice the sound could be matched- with better harmonic results (especially with their Orchestra strings as a starting point and then adding Dimension and/or the solo strings). Many people do not like the VSL sound (or their dongle policy) -so they go to something else. I find if it good enough for Jay Bacal,Guy Bacos - it is good enough for me.

Thank you,
Eloy

Attachments

• Eloy Appassionata test 1.mp3
    581.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 4.42.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 4.42.04 PM.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for the reply, @Eloy
I pretty much agree with everything you said about VSL! I really love the amount of control you can achieve with them. The only thing I went to another company for in this template was the brass. (Spitfire's 'recording the room' policy really pays off for brass imho)
I love what you did with the Appassionatas! I don't usually layer multiple string libraries, especially in this large template as I'm already going right up to the max of what my RAM can handle. I'll have to save that for smaller templates and for after I upgrade my system again. though I'm weary of it sounding artificial. (you do add a significant number of players with different mic positions. It has the potential to sound unnatural.)
It's going to take a long time before I can afford all of VSL's libraries, but I definitely want to get there...

Hey Tice,
I listened to all of your demos in the various postings on this thread. There is some very nice work! One thing that didn't work for me though was the trumpets: they didn't sound like they were part of the same ensemble as the strings and winds. I think a big part of that was that the panning was too far right, making them sound like they were in a different room.

Hi Tice. I have some advice to achieve a larger sound.
First, you can try an ambiance type reverb(a reverb type with fast release and small predelay). You can find them in any reverb plugin. This will add a volume to an instrument. Combine them with a long reverb.
Second,you can layer a solo or another ensemble library. Usually, it's easy to sound natural, especially you are using dry samples and add reverb by yourself.
Third, try to do some EQ. Gain around 250Hz may works.
I hope this reply can help you

Thank you tcb! I'm really happy with the feedback I'm getting in this thread. I do have some limitations I am running into. Mainly I'm running out of memory, so layering the strings is outside of the scope of what I can currently do. I'm looking to remedy it, but other expenses are also getting in the way of a memory upgrade. But the reverb and EQ advice is definitely possible to for me, and I'll be trying those!

Thank you tcb! I'm really happy with the feedback I'm getting in this thread. I do have some limitations I am running into. Mainly I'm running out of memory, so layering the strings is outside of the scope of what I can currently do. I'm looking to remedy it, but other expenses are also getting in the way of a memory upgrade. But the reverb and EQ advice is definitely possible to for me, and I'll be trying those!
:)

I'm back with another piece written for the same template, which I continued to finetune. I've been dabbling with adding compression also in order to give the sound just a tad more 'body'. I'm looking for ways to take this to the next level, so any feedback would be most welcome.

The following piece was written as though part of an action sequence of sorts in a movie. There are several themes that follow each other in quick succession and lots of things are happening. I felt it was a good way of putting the entire orchestra through it's paces and see how flexible I can make it without losing a sense of cohesion.

Now, the silence COULD mean that the piece is perfect and there's nothing to improve... but I doubt it :P

Hey Tice,
I listened to all of your demos in the various postings on this thread. There is some very nice work! One thing that didn't work for me though was the trumpets: they didn't sound like they were part of the same ensemble as the strings and winds. I think a big part of that was that the panning was too far right, making them sound like they were in a different room.
I thought the same thing in the Hero title. The staccatos sound a bit thin and unnatural. In my opinion the short trumpets are a weak point of VSL.
Otherwise good work!

In the latest demo I changed the reverb on the trumpets, hoping that'd make them sound better. I also slightly shifted their panning. (not by much)
They're actually from the Spitfire orchestral brass library. The ones from VSL I just couldn't get the right sound out of, even though in many other areas they are extremely versatile.
Do you think the difference between the trumpets in the old demos versus the latest one is enough?

In the latest demo I changed the reverb on the trumpets, hoping that'd make them sound better. I also slightly shifted their panning. (not by much)
They're actually from the Spitfire orchestral brass library. The ones from VSL I just couldn't get the right sound out of, even though in many other areas they are extremely versatile.
Do you think the difference between the trumpets in the old demos versus the latest one is enough?
The difference is audible and better in the last track. Whereby the trumpets have a bit much vibrato for my taste.

It also should be said there's only 3 of them most of the time. Not the much larger sections you might find in a JunkieXL score.

The difference is audible and better in the last track. Whereby the trumpets have a bit much vibrato for my taste.
Yeah, the vibrato really needs to be kept under control, I know what you mean. It's still in there, but I want it more in key moments.

Top Bottom