1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

String Size

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by TimCox, Dec 6, 2017.

1. TimCox

TimCox Senior Member

Oct 14, 2013
    So, I'm dealing with severe sample acquisition syndrome and want to gather some opinions.

Right now I have Hollywood Strings Diamond, LASS, as well as CSS. I love all of them and the front runner right now is CSS but the smaller size is sometimes painfully obvious. HS is a big resource hog which makes it a harder option and LASS is slightly dated (not by much). I believe Spitfire Symphonic Strings is large sections and I am wondering what the general consensus is in terms of playability and ease of use? I'm not big into layering so I'm just trying to find a good solution for large strings

2. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    My experience is to layer large Strings anyway with smaller sections. So a large library with a chamber size orchestra + solo Strings. It gives the lush symphonic sound but with more details because you have the smaller ones in there as well.

NoamL likes this.
  3. chrisphan

chrisphan Senior Member

Nov 30, 2016
    credited @NoamL

LA Scoring Strings - 62 players
    Trailer Strings - 60 players (Vln1+2 recorded as one section; no legatos)
    NI Symphonic Series Strings - 60 players
    Spitfire Symphonic Strings - 60 players
    Hollywood Strings - 57 players
    Cinestrings Core - 55 players

---

Cinematic Strings2 - 40 players
    Soaring Strings & Adventure Strings - I can't find any info but I think they're around 40
    Albion ONE - 37 players (only high/low string sections available)
    Cinematic Studio Strings - 35 players (39 with added Solo Strings)
    Berlin Strings - 28 players (32 with added First Chairs)

---

Auddict United Strings of Europe - 20 players
    Light & Sound Chamber Strings - 18 players
    Spitfire Chamber Strings - 16 players

sazema, NoamL and TimCox like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    TimCox

TimCox Senior Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Wow! Thanks for that, that’s some great info!

5. NoamL

NoamL Senior Member

Jul 6, 2015
    I agree with @kimarnesen

In this mockup I was trying to recreate JunkieXL's live string sound. I found that the best option was to combine the closest mics of CSS + CSSS (so detailed! ;) ) with the F mix of Mural, and a big reverb. And then in the final version I added in some tree sound for CSS/S because the two libraries just weren't gluing together.

Unfortunately it is slower than using CSS alone but CSS's far mic perspectives would not be useful for this mockup; they give away that the ensemble is "only" 40 strings. The close mics are useful for layering with practically any other string library I reckon.

Rudankort, TimCox and NathanTiemeyer like this.