What's new

String Sample Library Comparison: Spiccato

Thanks everyone for all the great examples! I think we've pretty much covered every major string library haha

Just curious, isn't "staccato" a possible louder articulation since it's actually a "bowed stroke" instead of just bouncing off the string like a "spiccato?"

Yes staccato can technically be louder but in the sampling world you can do anything :P

Thanks everyone for all the great examples! I think we've pretty much covered every major string library haha

Yes staccato can technically be louder but in the sampling world you can do anything :P
I tried doing it with Kirk Hunter chamber strings and while it sounded decent, I didn't think it was worth posting...

And Dimension Strings:

They play nice and tight, and I like the classical sound.

The Dimension Strings sound great. There is a level of detail in the sound that I really like. Are you using MIR, MIRx, or some other reverb? Whatever it is, I like it!

Reactions: muk
Just curious, isn't "staccato" a possible louder articulation since it's actually a "bowed stroke" instead of just bouncing off the string like a "spiccato?"

Yes, a real spiccato is a very light sound, and impossible to get very loud without breaking into a true staccato. But with samples, anything is possible I suppose. You ruined it for me. I was enjoying the thread. :confused:

Yes, a real spiccato is a very light sound, and impossible to get very loud without breaking into a true staccato. But with samples, anything is possible I suppose. You ruined it for me. I was enjoying the thread. :confused:
Sorry, my friend. Just trying to "keep it real." ;)

Albion 1: Out of the box. Tree mics. Spicc Ostinatum patch used for 1st violins and Short Ostinatum patch used for 2nd violins. Short patch used for violas and basses.
Albion 1 TM: Same as above using time-machine patches adjusted to taste.
Cinematic Strings 2: Staccatissimo. Out of the box, no reverb. Basses transposed up one octave to match the rest.
EWQLSO: Out of the box. Stage mics.
VSL SE vol1 Plus: Releases at max. Rest out of the box. Same patch used for 1st and 2nd violins since they are playing different octaves.
VSL SE vol1 Plus Processed: Same as above but mixed, panned, eq:ed and reverbed.

Despite being very wet and being an ensemble library, I really like the spiccatos in Albion 1 because they sound messy in a real sort of way. Albion's spiccato patches are devided enough to get away with this sort of line. I think my time-machine example sounds pretty close to the SSS example earlier.

Something tells me the VSL demos would sound better if the release tails were not left at max. I made that mistake before and it's not quite right - the ideal solution is to add a bit of reverb so that the sound isn't so suddenly cut off.

Ahhhh no. I like CSS, CS2, Albion One and 1, but your forgetting 2 major ones, Symphobia 1 and Cinestrings ;)...

The Symphobia sounds great but a bit soft for the piece. The Cinestrings sounds terrible to my ears.

Are some of the Cinestrings 8vb?

No, and I didn't change any of the midi....

Actually just double checked and found the keyswitches on the bass are in a different location, so my first upload had the basses set to sustain, apologies. Just reloaded it with all on Spiccato setting. Hope that explains it. Thanks Saxer.

Last edited:
VSL lol..... worst sounding library ever.
I'm really not sure why you use every opportunity on this forum to bash VSL, perhaps you have some bad history with them (or any other undisclosed agenda)? I'm not a fan of the Spitfire sound whatsoever but I do respect that many folk here love it.

I don't like solo strings and ensemble brass(not DM brass) of VSL but imo DM strings and woodwinds are the best until now. Chamber and Orchestral strings are also great.

I think the worst shortcoming of VSL is not the libraries but the e-licenser policy. If I lose the dongle key I must buy again the libraries for almost the full price. I should spend more than 1000 euroes if I break usb for mistake. And I must buy new dongle key every 2 years.
To be honest this is nonsence.
I always hesitate about VSL for this reason.

Last edited:
That's a good test piece, calebfaith. Pile on a little more stuff, modulate, and you have a great TV promo cue.

xenon1, you don't have to buy a new dongle every two years. Why would you lose or break the dongle key? I've had VSL since I think 2003... although if I remember right the Cube didn't use eLicenser née Syncrosoft.

Anyway, I've had it for years with ne'er a dongle mishap.

no, You have the wrong information. USB elicenser is essential now. and I must buy a new dongle every 2 years.

https://vsl.co.at/community/posts/t4...g-problem-------Read-before-buying#post255225

1. lose usb : must buy libraries or software again
2. break usb : must pay 20 euroes/single license, so more than 1000 euroes if you have bundles like symphonic cube or super package.
3. usb damaged without extraneous cause(If over than warrenty period-2 years) : also must pay 20 euroes/single license.
4. usb damaged without extraneous cause(within 2 years) : free

Something tells me the VSL demos would sound better if the release tails were not left at max. I made that mistake before and it's not quite right - the ideal solution is to add a bit of reverb so that the sound isn't so suddenly cut off.
To each his own. :) I like the natural releases. They tend to sound cut off with just reverb, me thinks.

Top Bottom