What's new

String Quartet no. 1 (Classical style, midi mockup, CSSS)

I am an absolute newbie, so please take my opinion with a mountain of salt.

My opinion: the composition is beautiful, but the recording lacks dynamics (just look at the waveform). This means either the velocities are too similar, or you over compressed while mixing.

I hope this helps. :)

My opinion: the composition is beautiful, but the recording lacks dynamics (just look at the waveform). This means either the velocities are too similar, or you over compressed while mixing.

Although I didn’t design too wide dynamics for this piece, it could still be a development point, thank you! The next step is to make a sheet music from the midi, then I have to collect a bunch of money and finally find a quartet to record it. :)

Original composition for string quartet, recorded with Cinematic Studio Solo Strings.

What do you think?
Thanks for listening :)

Hi Adam - excellent composition and excellent programming/execution. I actually found the dynamics very good, both for the expression in the individual instruments as well as the quartet overall. Great for an andante passage; an adagio section might need more dynamics. May I ask how long it took you to program? Thanks very much for sharing!

Hi Adam - excellent composition and excellent programming/execution. I actually found the dynamics very good, both for the expression in the individual instruments as well as the quartet overall. Great for an andante passage; an adagio section might need more dynamics. May I ask how long it took you to program? Thanks very much for sharing!
Thank you, Rhys!
It took a long time, I also took a lot of breaks because I got stuck composing several times.
This is common anyway.
Unfortunately I can only work effectively if there is a longer time (3-4 full days at least) when I can be completely immersed in music, without any distractions. This is rare, so most of the time I make sketches, but when I have time, I usually do all the workflows (and several pieces) in parallel.
Composing, orchestration, programming, mixing etc. All in one.
It was "completed" in about 2-3 weeks, distributed over the past one year.

Original composition for string quartet, recorded with Cinematic Studio Solo Strings.

What do you think?
Thanks for listening :)

I'm a little confused. The duration is 3:15. Is this just the first part? Or are the individual parts very short? The whole thing sounds pretty homogeneous, so I can't really distinguish the individual parts.

What also confuses me (I am a simple soul) is that you still need to convert the midi to sheet music. Did you write this in midi? If you can write sheet music, why don't you already have a score? Or do you change so much during the process that you have to write a new score?

Is this just the first part? Or are the individual parts very short?
The composer doesn’t say there are more parts, does he? Now you have ME confused? I think it is just supposed to be this one piece he posted here - composed for a string quartet, so two violins, a viola and a cello.

What also confuses me (I am a simple soul) is that you still need to convert the midi to sheet music. Did you write this in midi? If you can write sheet music, why don't you already have a score? Or do you change so much during the process that you have to write a new score?
I gather the OP means he has composed this in his DAW, using the samples he mentions and a MIDI keyboard. He intends to render the “played in and likely edited” MIDI data to a score, which likely means he did not compose it in some notation scoring tool, but rather in a DAW.

Last edited:

Oh, now you've done it. I'm writing six string quartets this summer. They're almost finished and I would like to make sound files, but I'm no good at the technical stuff. I thought Adam's work sounded pretty good and I was wondering if I could make my quartets sound like this. You have me worried :sad:

The composer doesn’t say there are more parts, does he? Now you have ME confused? I think it is just supposed to be this one piece he posted here - composed for a string quartet, so two violins, a viola and a cello.
Yes, but it could be a couple of small parts or one longer part. I'd still like to know.

I'm a little confused. The duration is 3:15. Is this just the first part? Or are the individual parts very short? The whole thing sounds pretty homogeneous, so I can't really distinguish the individual parts.

Hello Romy!

This is the piece and the final duration.
No. 1 means I will compose more pieces for String Quartet, this is the first composition.
Hopefully I will improve over time, but you need to know that I'm an amateur, self-taught composer. And I love to be, I want to continue and develop on this path but it appears in the imperfection of my music.

I compose all my pieces in MIDI. This notation method was what I learned and I love this workflow.
I worked a lot on programming but I'm hoping very much I will find a local quartet who love the music and we can record it. So the score is important to have, you are right.
Fortunately I have a dear friend, a great composer, music teacher and he helps me with sheet music.
Also a member of VI-Control: @OleJoergensen

Thank you for listening!

For a self-thaught composer this is extremely well done. Bravo!
Thank you Romy, and your insights as well, these are all very helpful for the future.
What notation program do you use?
I think if somebody familiar with the traditional way of music notation, Staffpad is a great software because you can achieve very good results with Berlin Strings First chairs.

I use Notion by Presonus. It is fantastic, because you can use VST plugins, you can set the velocity of every independent note, you can switch on MIDI overview so it is possible to adjust legato transitions.
Maybe there is a way to apply different articulations of 3rd party instruments but I'm not sure.

Fantastic piece. Even though it never goes far from D major/minor, it never sounds repetitive or boring - well done!. And the main theme is so joyful, your music put a smile on my face. Thank you.
Thank you very much for listening, I'm so happy you like it and find it joyful!

Top Bottom