String quartet examples

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Rob, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Erik

Erik Senior Member

Dec 3, 2007
    @Farkle, I thought why not give a try, some more vibrato (not the vibrato rate btw!). In the context it works definitely better, thanks for your remark about this.
    Furthermore, (hopefully) improved EQ-settings, less extreme dynamic settings, EZQ (Toneboosters) more neutral.

Anyway, starting from what I had, this wasn't much of an effort, so I someone has more suggestions, just let me know...

2. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    This is certainly sweeter and I would say more realistic, if only because increased vibrato helps trick your ear into thinking "more expressive". You seem to have a good sense for string performances.

Erik likes this.
  3. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Another update: In the first page of this thread I added my Xsample (Standard) version with all the needed articulations.

Paolo

4. thobj

thobj New Member

Oct 20, 2018
    I was not sure if or with which string library I should go, so: thanks for that thread; here is my version with KF strings. Surely there is still a lot to do and maybe I did not always use the correct articulations, but for a first impression ...

Attached Files:

Rob and ptram like this.
  5. Mr. Ha

Mr. Ha Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Has anyone used the spitfire solo strings for quartet writing? I’m concidering buying it with the wish list discount.

styledelk likes this.
  6. mventura

mventura Member

Dec 26, 2017
    +1
    And would love to hear JB violin vs new spitfire performance violin.

7. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Is this Kontakt Factory? Surprisingly good! May you try will a smaller room reverb?

Paolo

thobj likes this.
  8. madfloyd

madfloyd Active Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Massachusetts
    OMG, my favorite string quartet of all time - and it sounds fantastic! Did you mock this up yourself or is the midi available somewhere?

thobj likes this.
  9. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Stupid question, what's KF?

10. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Kontakt factory?

Casiquire likes this.
  11. madfloyd

madfloyd Active Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Massachusetts
  12. thobj

thobj New Member

Oct 20, 2018
    sorry I'm not quite familiar with quoting function yet:

These are solo patches from Kontakt Factory; I used the midi file from Rob in the first post of this thread and tweaked it.

I am not really satisfied with the reverb, too; I followed the example of Rob and some recordings, but I have not yet found the right balance and the warmth of the room.

13. Mr. Ha

Mr. Ha Active Member

Dec 3, 2015