What's new

String libraries that control dynamics with key velocity instead of CC

wsalembi

Hi, I'm really new to this. Do all the string libraries control dynamics with the mod wheel? Isn't there a way to control it just with key velocity. E.g. for when you play two-handed during a live performance?

Any string libraries that can do that?

You can usually change the setting to velocity if you want. That works well for short notes, but usually gives strange results with long notes, like some notes unintentionally sticking out as being to loud or too soft.

Thought they're solo instruments, Bohemian Violin and Cello do this. A lot of older orchestral libraries use key velocity for dynamics as well - East West Symphonic Orchestra, for example.

Hi, I'm really new to this. Do all the string libraries control dynamics with the mod wheel? Isn't there a way to control it just with key velocity. E.g. for when you play two-handed during a live performance?

I have most of the string libraries out there. Some you can change to velocity but others not.

Here is a few of the ones that it is possible to control sustains and legato patches with velocity and the Mod wheel. You can switch it from Mod wheel to velocity by changing a setting in each interface.

1. All Vienna libraries
2. All Orchestral Tools libraries incl. Berlin Strings, Berlin Aspire and Metropolis Ark 1&2
3. All Kirk Hunter libraries
4. Cinestrings Core
5. Symphobia 1+2
6. Old Eastwest Symphonic orchestra has velocity patches
7. Miroslav Philharmonic 1+2 and Miroslav String Ensembles
8. Omnisphere (Hollywood Studio String Section patch and Mod wheel applies Eq)

Here are some libraries where it isn’t possible to control sustain and legato dynamics with velocity.

1. All Spitfire string libraries
2. Cinematic Studio Strings
3. Cinematic strings 2
4. LA Scoring Strings (legato patches)
5. Soaring Strings
6. Ni String Ensemble
8. All 8Dio string libraries
9. United Strings of Europe
10. Hollywood Strings

Some of the libraries that have Mod wheel control are responsive to velocity for the first note but after that you need the Mod wheel to change the dynamics.

I find having the option to have velocity and Mod wheel control really useful as I am a pianist and get frustrated when the dynamics are locked to the Mod wheel when playing chords.

Which libraries do you have that you want to change the dynamics to velocity?

Last edited:
Is it possible in libraries like CSS or from Spitfire?
No it’s not possible with Spitfire or Cinematic Studio Strings. Spitfire support told me it’s the way they programme their libraries so it’s not possible for any of their string libraries.

If you are looking for the best velocity controlled patch for strings then look at Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Ensemble which is on sale for $79 at the moment. The strings are great and respond to both velocity and mod wheel at the same time. If you are a pianist you will enjoy playing them so much better than all the libraries that just respond to the mod wheel. You can play with both hands and add much more expression while you play and it feels great.

I have most of the string libraries out there. Some you can change to velocity but others not.

Here is a few of the ones that it is possible to control sustains and legato patches with velocity and the Mod wheel. You can switch it from Mod wheel to velocity by changing a setting in each interface.

1. All Vienna libraries
2. All Orchestral Tools libraries incl. Berlin Strings, Berlin Aspire and Metropolis Ark 1&2
3. All Kirk Hunter libraries
4. Cinestrings Core
5. Symphobia 1+2
6. Old Eastwest Symphonic orchestra has velocity patches
7. Miroslav Philharmonic 1+2 and Miroslav String Ensembles
8. Omnisphere (Hollywood Studio String Section patch and Mod wheel applies Eq)

Here are some libraries where it isn’t possible to control sustain and legato dynamics with velocity.

1. All Spitfire string libraries
2. Cinematic Studio Strings
3. Cinematic strings 2
4. LA Scoring Strings (legato patches)
5. Soaring Strings
6. Ni String Ensemble
8. All 8Dio string libraries
9. United Strings of Europe
10. Hollywood Strings

Some of the libraries that have Mod wheel control are responsive to velocity for the first note but after that you need the Mod wheel to change the dynamics.

I find having the option to have velocity and Mod wheel control really useful as I am a pianist and get frustrated when the dynamics are locked to the Mod wheel when playing chords.

Which libraries do you have that you want to change the dynamics to velocity?
Hey, I didn't want to open a new thread about that.
I feel the same as the OP, I really need some full strings ensemble velocity patches for quick sketches.

I have a question about the libraries that it is possible to control sustains and legato patches with velocity in them:
Which of them has full strings ensemble patches?
Because it is worthless for me if I only have separate violins velocity patch, separate violas velocity patch, separate cellos velocity patch and separate basses velocity patch.

The only library from the above list that I tried and know it has great full strings ensemble velocity patches is East West Symphonic Orchestra, I would like to know what libraries has similar patches.

Thanks in advance.

But you also can use a midi modifier in most major DAW´s these days where you could send any midi cc and it get changed to velocity or vice versa.

Top Bottom