What's new

Strezov Sampling presents AFFLATUS Chapter 1 // 1.2 Update feat. 18GB of new sample content

The idea of different movie scenes ( love, action,barbaric, ethnic, thrill, etc etc) is really a super idea. Every nki is ready for a different scene.
Amazing.

I think these sound really good but different scenes for strings have been done before by Colin and 8Dio...it's not an entirely new concept.

hahah that would be an insane price. :)

It's effectively 2 libraries in one, a 40-ish piece string orchestra and a 20-ish piece one. Each of those may not be a "workhorse" but they do have true legato, sustains, spiccato, and 3 mic positions. Already we're getting into the territory of roughly competing with certain other libraries available at $249 and $299 although it's not an apples to apples comparison.

BUT... then on top of that "2 very basic workhorses" library there's a chamber size high strings section with true con sordino and legato, trills and tremolos sampled up to an octave, chamber string flautandos, pizzicatos, several different kind of "ethnic portamento" strings, sound design patches, aleatoric cluster sustains and shorts, and the remaining 1/3rd of the library we haven't seen yet!

And everything is sampled with a beautiful tone and emotion!

I will be pleasantly surprised if this is cheaper than LASS, BST, etc. Afflatus may not be thoroughly deeply sampled "vanilla strings" like those libraries but it could easily end up being just as large a chunk of your SSD.

Here is a comment from Strezov himself taken from his youtube channel. I am not too fond of price guesses in a commercial thread. It is ok to ask the developer the price, but to start a kind of a bidding war/price guess competition seems pointless. Only the developer knows what it cost to do the library and what price makes sense to him. Be patient guys. I guarantee you we will find out the price once the library is released :)))))

Strezov Capture.PNG

I'm curious what's missing that doesn't make this a workhorse library?
I think that question is subjective to the composer. What makes this library special is that the articulations presented are developed in a stylized way. For instance, the Impressionist patches. You can create trills with this but it's character is different than most trills, the same with all of the legato patches.

So, in essence, you have all the basics. Legato, Spiccato, Pizz, Trills, Harmonics, Tenutos and a few others not demonstrated yet from the Ensemble Patches. But all of these articulations have a particular style that makes this not a very sterile or basic sounding library. There are certainly other libraries that can do these articulations in a more standard (basic) way but again, if Strezov Sampling did that with this library, it would be "just another" string library.

In terms of price. Compare our musical tools to any other trade profession. A carpenter can do a lot with the basic tools needed to complete a job but sometimes, they need a specialized tool designed very specifically for a particular job. That tool usually costs a lot due to it limited scope but it's ability to be effective and precise is where the value is. Afflatus is certainly a precision tool that appears to be limited but each patch is designed to be incredibly effective and precise. Keep that in mind.

Best,

Chris

So he said the price will be similar, not more, than his other libraries. You all may be right then about a $399 price. I'm basing my $299 guess on the fact that "core" libraries like, more recently, Spitfire Studio and Cinematic Studio are in the $399-$499 sweet spot range for a "core" library.

Reading the forums I'm getting the impression Afflatus is being viewed as more of an add-on/niche type library? If people are viewing it this way would they be willing to pay the same for it as they would for a "core" library?

Those of us running a business know about pricing sweet spots. My guess: if Afflatus is $499 it will not do well. If it's $399 it'll get sales. If it's $299 I think they'll have a run-away hit. Perhaps a $399/$349 base price with intro price/sales at $299 would be the best of both worlds.

>>>It is ok to ask the developer the price, but to start a kind of a bidding war/price guess competition seems pointless. <<<

It's called "fun." I think that's what forums are for - to discuss and debate things. I find it interesting.

You have min. three totally different legatos for Celli as well as the standard articulations. There is no Scene d' Amour Celli, because it didn't make sense to record one for this particular style.

Afflatus has all the core articulations you need to write basic string arrangements covered as well as more advanced techniques. Just because we said on youtube that it is a great addition to any other string library out there, due to it's advanced articulations, doesn't mean it can't be or wasn't designed as a workhorse library.

Now talking about pricing: Afflatus will have a similar approach as our other releases. There will be a reduced price at release day and as some of you might know we always put loyal customers first, so expect some crossgrade discounts to be available.

This is by far our biggest project to date. Auto divisi with polyphonic true legato, various section sizes, an integrated sound design library, orchestrated ensembles with choir, ethnic instruments...and huge full ensemble sections with tons of content, which we will reveal soon, comes at a certain price. It was important to us to not put any nice to have one shot recording in this collection, but only useable and playable sounds.

And yes we listen to you and always try to add content/features you want to have in one of our libraries even after release. For example we added 8 Polyphonic True Legato Patches for free to Wotan this year. So maybe there will be a Scene d' Amour Celli section in the future...

I am not too fond of price guesses in a commercial thread.

well, I agree but that goes both ways ;)

I don't like seeing people haggle with a developer saying "I'll buy it if it's $x but not if it's $y."

A sample library is not a bag of oranges, it's a capital intensive project that they have spent years developing. The project has fixed costs like recording and editing which were already paid up front before they even announced the library existed. The price is gonna be... whatever it is :)

I just was trying to steer people clear of what is, in my opinion only, a big misconception, that because this library doesn't have the exact same list of articulations that we've all seen sampled a dozen times that it's gonna be an "add on library."

Far from add on... It's a huge project. All you have to do is pay attention to the RAM loads in the two demos we saw.... it's going to be a big download :)

Last edited:
And the other point of my post, which I perhaps made too subtly, is that people are being too compartmentalized in their thinking about this library.

The library in a sense encourages you to think of "Minimalistic Strings" as an entirely different mini-library from "Chamber Strings" or "Scene D'Amour."

But please remember that these are the same musicians in the same space playing the same instruments.

The playing styles are about the mood & instructions to the musicians, not like they whipped out a totally different set of instruments to play the "Scene D'Amour" samples right? ;)

So you can mix and match. When you add up the different articulations available across the "little" libraries, you're not that far from "workhorse":

• you've got legato
  • pizzicato
  • spiccato
  • sustains
  • trills
  • tremolo
  • tenuto shorts
all that's really missing is some more variety of shorts - although there are plenty of libraries out there with only spiccato + staccato (and no tenuto) so I consider this just a different variation of the standard setup.

You have min. three totally different legatos for Celli as well as the standard articulations. There is no Scene d' Amour Celli, because it didn't make sense to record one for this particular style.

Afflatus has all the core articulations you need to write basic string arrangements covered as well as more advanced techniques. Just because we said on youtube that it is a great addition to any other string library out there, due to it's advanced articulations, doesn't mean it can't be or wasn't designed as a workhorse library.

Now talking about pricing: Afflatus will have a similar approach as our other releases. There will be a reduced price at release day and as some of you might know we always put loyal customers first, so expect some crossgrade discounts to be available.

This is by far our biggest project to date. Auto divisi with polyphonic true legato, various section sizes, an integrated sound design library, orchestrated ensembles with choir, ethnic instruments...and huge full ensemble sections with tons of content, which we will reveal soon, comes at a certain price. It was important to us to not put any nice to have one shot recording in this collection, but only useable and playable sounds.

And yes we listen to you and always try to add content/features you want to have in one of our libraries even after release. For example we added 8 Polyphonic True Legato Patches for free to Wotan this year. So maybe there will be a Scene d' Amour Celli section in the future...
I agree. With all this content in one library i am ready to pay whatever it will cost.

Yes full ensembles !!!! Reveal....reveal.....shark Strings legatos !!!!!! That's The best nki name ever !!!!!! Sharks!!!!!!!

And the other point of my post, which I perhaps made too subtly, is that people are being too compartmentalized in their thinking about this library.

The library in a sense encourages you to think of "Minimalistic Strings" as an entirely different mini-library from "Chamber Strings" or "Scene D'Amour."

But please remember that these are the same musicians in the same space playing the same instruments.

The playing styles are about the mood & instructions to the musicians, not like they whipped out a totally different set of instruments to play the "Scene D'Amour" samples right? ;)

So you can mix and match. When you add up the different articulations available across the "little" libraries, you're not that far from "workhorse":

• you've got legato
  • pizzicato
  • spiccato
  • sustains
  • trills
  • tremolo
  • tenuto shorts
all that's really missing is some more variety of shorts - although there are plenty of libraries out there with only spiccato + staccato (and no tenuto) so I consider this just a different variation of the standard setup.

All good points. If I might add one more about costs. It is what it is. The great thing about open market economy is innovation is rewarded. Given that, I want this sort of innovation to continue so the ROI for this developer has to be enough -- so they continue to 'want' to innovate. Looking forward to the release. ;)

Top Bottom