What's new

Strezov Sampling presents AFFLATUS Chapter 1 // 1.2 Update feat. 18GB of new sample content

You guys are quick :) The latest demo showcases mostly the shorts and the avantgarde strings - those are playable clusters - shorts and longs.
As far as the beginning - those feature my personal favourite patch, the Psychatto High & Low strings... you can also hear them at the end of the demo within that slight wink towards Stravinsky's Augurs chord from The Rite of Spring from 0:46...

Again, the only thing I've applied at the Master channel is fabfilter Pro-L2 for limiting... everything else is straight out of the box, no EQ, nothing. To be honest I'd add a bit of EQ on the barbaric col legno hits (and there are some instrument "slaps" there as well) for more oomph.

George, as much as I enjoy these demo play throughs, a full, thorough walkthrough at this point would be awesome. The unique layout and organization this library seems to follow is tougher to “get” within the context of full pieces. I know that’s forthcoming, hopefully soon!!

George, as much as I enjoy these demo play throughs, a full, thorough walkthrough at this point would be awesome. The unique layout and organization this library seems to follow is tougher to “get” within the context of full pieces. I know that’s forthcoming, hopefully soon!!
George - one more vote for this. Walkthrus :)

Musically the second playthrough has a passage about half way through that reminds me of a piece in one of my favourite films Highlander (its the scene where Conor explains to the new lady in his life the truth about his existence).

This bit:

Sent goosebumps down my neck as it the film played a big part in the beginning of my relationship with my wife of 29 years (cannot believe I can say that to be honest, 1986 feels like yesterday...).

If anything it shows the power of music and more specifically film music to capture a memory and forever embed it with a time in your life. Truly magnificent!

Is this the section you are talking about? :)

here

and here

I love that score too. Timeless.

Not going to lie - this latest demo was a setback for me. The shorts are 'ok' - but the longs/legato in this mock up are not that convincing. Every library has its strengths and I think this libraries' will be of the slow, expressive variety.

I agree, this demo was a setback for me too in terms of the sound of the strings. Previous demos have been great though.

Not going to lie - this latest demo was a setback for me. The shorts are 'ok' - but the longs/legato in this mock up are not that convincing. Every library has its strengths and I think this libraries' will be of the slow, expressive variety.
I don't think I've ever heard a library do what is being done at 0:43-0:53. Makes me actually think of Tapiola by Sibelius. Man, depending on the price, I may get it just for that sound. Joking and hyperbole aside, I'm waiting for more. Apparently there's a lot of content to go over, listen to.

I heard a lot of interesting stuff happening in this latest demo, but I think what makes it less impressive is the track itself. It's a great showcase of some previously unheard patches (so mission accomplished!), but less a "full" piece of music like the two others were.

I'm more and more interested !

Is this the section you are talking about? :)

here

and here

I love that score too. Timeless.

Yep thats the one! Clancy Brown and Christopher Lambert did a special screening in London in 2016 with a Q&A for the 30th Anniversary. My missus was not pleased when I told her as I had no idea until I stumbled on it on You Tube 2 weeks ago...

Sorry for off topic. This library has me definitely curious though.

Here is George's first walkthrough covering the sections of Afflatus Chapter 1. This is only one third of the entire content:

Thanks for your time for making the walkthrough. Very appreciated. I really like the sound and the thematic approach so far.

Can we have a bit more information:
  • Which actual articulations are available for each section? I could see and hear legatos, (bartok) pizzicatos, spiccatos, tremolos, harmonics, tenutos.
  • Are these articulations only available in their thematic group or can they be triggered on their own like in any other library?
  • How many divisi sections are there and at which player numbers?
  • How are the voices distributed? For example, if you have two divisi sections, but playing three notes. What is the highest number of playbable polyphonic notes?
  • And, of course, a hint of the price? :)

This sounds great, an instant buy for me, can't wait to place my order. After frustrating experience with synthy-sounding Synchron Strings 1, I find these following strings libraries all sound lovely to me!

Here is George's first walkthrough covering the sections of Afflatus Chapter 1. This is only one third of the entire content:

Fucking hell does that sound sexy.
giphy.gif

I was watching the walkthrough too..thank you for the work and all, George. Still for me a question: Is that library aimed for specific lush melodic writing only, or is there a chance where you can also do more frenetic fast paced string lines with? Like..runs, intervallic faster ostinato legato stuff? That is still a question for me because all the demos and also the walkthrough seem not be clear about that for me. At what timbre dynamics are the shorts recorded? Just loud at forte or really even quiter? That is a general question also regarding the other articulations. (longs, trems, trills etc.)

Last edited:
Thanks for your time for making the walkthrough. Very appreciated. I really like the sound and the thematic approach so far.

Can we have a bit more information:
  • Which actual articulations are available for each section? I could see and hear legatos, (bartok) pizzicatos, spiccatos, tremolos, harmonics, tenutos.
  • Are these articulations only available in their thematic group or can they be triggered on their own like in any other library?
  • How many divisi sections are there and at which player numbers?
  • How are the voices distributed? For example, if you have two divisi sections, but playing three notes. What is the highest number of playbable polyphonic notes?
  • And, of course, a hint of the price? :)

We have the basic articulations, Spiccatos, Pizzicatos and Tremolos, covered for all sections (Violins 1, Violins 2, Violas, Celli and Basses), so you can use Afflatus as a workhorse library. This was very important to us. Afflatus is not meant to be a bread and butter library, still those articulations will help you to use the library in styles and moods outside of what we have in this chapter so far. You can of course use each articulation the way you want and also outside of the thematic groups.

In addition to that we have different thematic approaches. Scene d'Amour has different sustains and legatos than the Lush Strings. We recorded articulations fitting to a particular style. So the Minimalist Strings consist of Tenutos, Harmonics and Sustains with Legatos. Same goes for the Divisi. A 16 player violin section tends to sound more like a pad than a 6 player ensemble, so the bigger sections all have divisi groups. The smaller ones don't have them. This way the library won't cost you a fortune to buy.

There are no technical limitations to voices in our polyphonic legato. It's the same engine we also use in our choirs. It automatically distributes your input to the different sections and takes care of proper voice leading within your performance.

Afflatus is our biggest collection to date thus it will cost more than our other libraries, but still way less than the most expensive string libraries out there do. If you consider the size vs. actual playable content (we have tons of legatos) it's a bargain.

What The f ... . .This sounds sooooooo good Man !!!????
And this is only 1/3 of The library ??????
Oh Man ..What have you done.....sooooooo good. Must watch it again and again to understand what this is all about.... Thanks

Top Bottom