Strezov Sampling presents AFFLATUS Chapter 1 // 1.2 Update feat. 18GB of new sample content

axb312

:emoji_confused:

I don't think it's as simple as produce > price low > profit in the current VI market. Pricing low has as equal a chance of signalling low quality as it does accessible high quality, and there's no guarantee with pricing low that there will be enough sales to make up the difference. Most figures I see mentioned to bolster the low price perspective mention sales figures that are really high guesses (as if every dev was selling as much as Spitfire or EastWest - tangent: Spitfire got it's audience by starting boutique and only lowering prices when they had the demand, and EastWest only sells so low because they figured out how to make the low price a monthly payment rather than a single payment).

Since CSS was mentioned, that seems like a unique scenario since there was already a built in audience who trusted the brand from when CS2 was released in 2009 (for $699 I might add, in the days before VSTBuzz and APD lowering perceived VI value). The sales from that surely removed the edge from what must have been the high investment cost of CSS. I don't think that's a repeatable formula.

The cost of Afflatus makes it currently inaccessible for me even though I'm really intrigued and it sounds great, but IMO it doesn't follow to say that therefore he's missing out on lots of sales. I am not the market, and I'd trust Strezov's perspective on his own sales over my own. Regardless, in the end the market will speak for itself.

Best,
Theres a difference between stating a personal opinion and attacking someone personally? Anyhow, as someone rightly said this is the commercial announcements section so....

Strezov

It would be nice if you didn't make this personal. If anything,yes I'm a little upset that this is outside my budget, but not bitter in any way - because as you rightly pointed out there are other great options within my budget.

However, your comments about undervaluing the industry are unfair to a whole bunch of developers who offer great libraries at affordable prices, without cutting any corners. It's one of the reasons why CSS has become pretty much the standard, ubiquitous recommendation and daily driver for many people looking for a string library.

Afflatus could have been that library but you chose to go a different route. By lowering prices, you could've lowered the barriers for entry and therefore sold more (perhaps a lot more of the library) which you obviously put quite some effort into.

Yes 69 Eur was a high prices for a bunch of phrases.
Sorry, didn't mean to be offensive - language difference I suppose. Just wanted to get your thoughts about the pricing - and also I wouldn't say that my comment about undervaluing the industry is aimed to current practices of fellow developers (us included). I'm just stating that for me (personal opinion here) devaluing a business or industry will result (in a long term perspective) in financial changes in said industry. Just look at the current state of pop music for example. Take a look at what streaming does to royalties...

But I may be wrong... I did a #1 TV series in Bulgaria during my second year in university and made a poll among composers in my country so that my quote wouldn't devalue the business standards in my country (because we don't have regulations that you can openly see). A lot of people were angry about that at that time, but for me that's the way things should operate... As I said above, the market is big enough with wonderful tools (I love CSS, it is inside my template and I envy Alex' skills in writing music). And having different opinions probably makes the world a more colourful place anyway. Cheers!

NoamL

Winter <3
However, your comments about undervaluing the industry are unfair to a whole bunch of developers who offer great libraries at affordable prices, without cutting any corners. It's one of the reasons why CSS has become pretty much the standard, ubiquitous recommendation and daily driver for many people looking for a string library.
Hmm, I use CSS and CS2 every day at work and I'm adding Afflatus to that template.

Actually the only libraries I'm using beyond CS2/CSS are Afflatus, Adventure Strings and Iceni. All three for the same reason. I bought a lot of stuff over the years but once I settled on CSS/CS2 as my main sound, what I need beyond that is not a "backup" workhorse strings library, it's a library or combination of libraries that does everything the workhorse DOESN'T do.

This is where Afflatus really shines. The psychatto shorts are more aggressive than spiccatos I've heard in any other library because they are recorded as a standalone articulation, not just the top fortissimo layer that has to realistically match other dynamic layers in a multi-dynamic-crossfading articulation. The minimalist legato is beautifully neutral because it isn't merely the mezzo-piano layer of a multi-dynamic-crossfading sustains patch. :) just my 2cents... haven't even fully explored some of the other articulations yet!

Of course there is nothing wrong with seeing Afflatus as your workhorse strings either. The "lush" articulation is effectively the main legato patch and it has a lot of advantages like true divisi and very, very playable polyphonic legato which feels like MAGIC compared to other libraries (I'm still sticking with CSS/CS2 because it's become the trademark sound of the project I'm currently employed on). I'm just saying that I find good value in the library just from all the "extra bells & whistles" articulations.

TomaeusD

In Space
I, for one, love the Arrival patch in Afflatus and would buy the library for that feature alone if I could. Some developers work hard to make quality content and tools for us, and if the quality is there then it shouldn't be undervalued. And it also makes sales at certain times of the year that much sweeter.