What's new

Stream Deck XL

bvaughn0402

View attachment 20369

Yes indeed, and I can’t recommend it highly enough. I LOVE these boxes! Triggering entire macros, entering ridiculous passwords, dedicated tools/key commands for DAWs, Photoshop, video editing, you name it... and they instantly change to reflect the current app. I wanted something like this for ages...
What is the app on the iPad? And what stand is that?

InLight-Tone

See the original thread - I went into detail there on the advantages. In a nutshell: real physical buttons that become whatever you want them to be for any app you want. Single keys, entire macros, passwords, etc. - and visually customizable to whatever degree you want. Metagrid is great, but this is better in some crucial ways, IMO.
Metagrid actually does all of that, is app aware or can be locked to one app if needed, except no physical buttons...

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
Metagrid actually does all of that, is app aware or can be locked to one app if needed, except no physical buttons...
Metagrid does almost all the same stuff and does have some advantages, depending on your priorities. For me though, I really put a lot of value on the visual aspect of rolling my own icons and graphics for StreamDeck - along with those physical buttons for certain things. I find the integration of SD a lot faster/easier as well. They’re both great tools!

chocobitz825

I stlll haven’t fully figured out keyboard maestro, but technically it seems like you can map a bunch of macros to stream deck to control midi with keyboard maestro. Has anyone tried this?

Jdiggity1

Stroking The Frog
One big way that Metagrid beats Stream Deck for DAW control is the fact it can send MIDI data. I'm hopeful that Elgato will implement that soon into the stream decks.
On the other hand, stream decks are more multi-purpose and allow things like accessing a web address in the background (without opening a browser) which means you can set it up with IFTTT to trigger applets and control smart devices. So unless Metagrid gives me a button to turn on my lava lamps, I personally prefer the stream deck overall.

kmaster

Now in LA: let's get coffee!
One big way that Metagrid beats Stream Deck for DAW control is the fact it can send MIDI data. I'm hopeful that Elgato will implement that soon into the stream decks.
On the other hand, stream decks are more multi-purpose and allow things like accessing a web address in the background (without opening a browser) which means you can set it up with IFTTT to trigger applets and control smart devices. So unless Metagrid gives me a button to turn on my lava lamps, I personally prefer the stream deck overall.
Stream Deck could send to something like Keyboard Maestro which could in turn send MIDI, though, right? I mean, it would be nice to have it all natively, but it's not an impossible setup.

Jdiggity1

Stroking The Frog
Stream Deck could send to something like Keyboard Maestro which could in turn send MIDI, though, right? I mean, it would be nice to have it all natively, but it's not an impossible setup.
Probably. Though Keyboard Maestro is not available on Windows (my platform). But I'm sure there are a number of interceptors that could convert a key command into a midi message.
But for me, the big pull towards Stream Deck was its simplicity and how quick it was to get set up with it, without needing to do anything fancy. A grid of colorful tactile buttons that send key commands or macros. Awesome.
Maybe I'll look into triggering midi with it at some point, but for now I do still have a tablet with Lemur for that.

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
^ what @Jdiggity1 said. Despite some overlapping functionality, StreamDeck and Metagrid/TouchOSC/Lemur are all really complementary. I really love StreamDeck as a system-wide tactile controller, especially as a tool selector/commander for all my media apps. But for advanced MIDI control, that’s where the iPad apps take over. Best of both!

Top Bottom