Stream Deck - killer REAL button controller

JeffvR

Not sure if anyone else has this problem. But when I have a more "complicated" shortcut like Ctrl+Shift+H, my computer tends to do only the Ctrl+Shift. I have to press the button a couple of times before it get's to the Ctrl+Shift+H command

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
But when I have a more "complicated" shortcut like Ctrl+Shift+H, my computer tends to do only the Ctrl+Shift. I have to press the button a couple of times before it get's to the Ctrl+Shift+H command
You might try the BarRaider Super Macro plugin? I'm using it for some pretty funky keyboard shortcuts (to trigger a Bome translator so I can inject MIDI as if it came from a control surface), such as {{rwin}{rctrl}{ralt}{1}} and it seems to be working reliably so far. It has a lot more flexible macro capabilities too than the built-in Multi Action.

Is anyone aware of a means of switching Stream Deck profiles via global keyboard shortcut (or any other programmatic means)? I know it can change profiles based on foreground application but that's not flexible enough for what I'm looking for. I want it to change profiles based on what part of my DAW is focused (MIDI editor, mixer panel, etc). I can take care of the "do [something] when thing is focused" part, but just need to understand what possible [somethings] exist. As far as I've been able to tell, it's not possible.

Jdiggity1

Is anyone aware of a means of switching Stream Deck profiles via global keyboard shortcut (or any other programmatic means)? I know it can change profiles based on foreground application but that's not flexible enough for what I'm looking for. I want it to change profiles based on what part of my DAW is focused (MIDI editor, mixer panel, etc). I can take care of the "do [something] when thing is focused" part, but just need to understand what possible [somethings] exist. As far as I've been able to tell, it's not possible.
The only way to change profile that I know of is by using their Switch Profile button, but that would not have any benefit over just using folders.
Folders allow you to go back to the previous screen, where profiles do not. Unless you keep all available profiles as buttons inside each profile. Like so: 21265

But then you're limited to only 10 buttons in each profile as opposed to 14 if you used folders.

JJP

I put dots and lines on paper.
The only way to change profile that I know of is by using their Switch Profile button, but that would not have any benefit over just using folders.
Folders allow you to go back to the previous screen, where profiles do not. Unless you keep all available profiles as buttons inside each profile. Like so: View attachment 21265

But then you're limited to only 10 buttons in each profile as opposed to 14 if you used folders.
I set up a Keyboad Maestro macro that switches profiles via the Stream Deck menu based on certain triggers.

Jdiggity1

I set up a Keyboad Maestro macro that switches profiles via the Stream Deck menu based on certain triggers.
Always gotta one-up me, dont ya JJP.
FWIW, keyboard maestro is not on Windows. So that's not an option for me. So there, I win!
Or... Lose. Hm...

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
I could do that with Autohotkey too, but AFAICT when the Stream Deck software is open the automatic profile change based on foreground application stops working. (Which makes sense if you're actively building your profile layouts, you probably don't want it to switch around on you.) I'd really like to preserve that functionality but just augment it by doing extra things when my DAW is in the foreground.

Anyway, I asked on their subreddit. If nothing else maybe it will convert to a feature request to allow assigning global hotkeys to change profiles.

Garry

Oh WOW, just wow! This thing is frickin awesome!!!! I don't know how many of these things I'm going to buy, but I think I want one in every room!!

@whinecellar - they should be giving you commission on these things, and if not, go buy shares in the company! Huge thank you for the recommendation; this strokes that geeky itch in me like a dog having his belly scratched!!

JJP

I put dots and lines on paper.
I"m using it. Just reprogrammed a few things. The real benefit is that you can set a Stream Deck key as a trigger for a macro. No need to have the SD trigger a hotkey combination or AppleScript which in turn triggers a macro.

However, I am seeing some benefits of the AppleScript route because you don't have to keep track of all the key IDs when changing things. This can get a little cumbersome if you have multiple profiles, folders, etc.

Stevie

I could do that with Autohotkey too, but AFAICT when the Stream Deck software is open the automatic profile change based on foreground application stops working. (Which makes sense if you're actively building your profile layouts, you probably don't want it to switch around on you.) I'd really like to preserve that functionality but just augment it by doing extra things when my DAW is in the foreground.

Anyway, I asked on their subreddit. If nothing else maybe it will convert to a feature request to allow assigning global hotkeys to change profiles.
Can you point me to that thread? I want to add my voice as well. This feature would make Stream Deck even better.

tack

Damned Dirty Ape
Can you point me to that thread? I want to add my voice as well. This feature would make Stream Deck even better.
There's no native capability. They invited me to write a plugin. :)

The Reddit thread is here. I think a basic global key binding to profiles would be really useful.

Stevie

There's no native capability. They invited me to write a plugin. :)

The Reddit thread is here. I think a basic global key binding to profiles would be really useful.
Doh! Well, if I had the chops, I would definitely jump in to write a plugin. Same as you, I would love to have the ability to switch to different layouts, when the ME has focus or Mediabay, etc...

Actually, having command line support would also help in this case.

However, have you found a different way to switch layers depending on the window focus inn Reaper, maybe with AHK?