What's new

Stream Deck - killer REAL button controller

I've read that : - Connect Stream Deck "directly" to a USB port - Do not use a USB hub - True ? What's your experience... Thanks

I've read that : - Connect Stream Deck "directly" to a USB port - Do not use a USB hub - True ? What's your experience... Thanks

I have both of mine connected to an Anker 10-port hub, along with a handful of other things – and I haven’t had a single problem. I think they’re just being cautious about what they guarantee.

I have mine on a USB Hub, where two other things are plugged in as well...I didn't have any problems so far.
I have both of mine connected to an Anker 10-port hub, along with a handful of other things – and I haven’t had a single problem. I think they’re just being cautious about what they guarantee.
Great, I'm waiting for mine, so, I had a doubt, thanks for your answers MatFluor and Whinecellar :2thumbs:

Wow..., I haven't been able to get through this whole thread yet, but this thing is AMAZE-BALLS!!! I recently switched over from Quickeys to Keyboard Maestro, and if I can get the Stream Deck to work with Keyboard Maestro, then game over. FWIW, I've not dug into what this can do as far as building macros, but I'm assuming it can't do things like variables, multiple clipboards, user prompts, etc? I've built some redonkulous macros in KM that do different things in Cubase based on what window I'm in, or what's selected, or what certain pixel values on the screen have, etc.

[EDIT]
OK, got a Stream Deck in the ol' Amazon cart. Just want to see how it goes, but will most likely order another one next week. The real question is..., do I add some Pallete Gear modules. Not to stray off topic, but I soooo wish the Pallete Gear modules had a little scribble strip, so you could enter some text that displayed what that specific module was set to control...., and it would switch based on varioius 'layouts'.

Last edited:
B1CCBE90-4880-4BAB-A052-2DB87C741915.jpeg
Second one just came today - already working great - and 2 of them side by side just happened to perfectly fit the stand I built for one of my iPads. Loving it!

Really liking this unit. Damnit Jim, I'm thinking of a second one myself.

38218286_10156227709316758_860841733951324160_n.jpg

Just picked up one of these yesterday and what a great little device. Very fond of being able to select the appropriate profile just by opening a program, and even being able to create a new message in mail with the correct address. I found out how to back up Profiles as well, but they could provide a better manual though.

Question: My device is connected to a powered hub as well, meaning that when the computer shuts down, the logo remains on on the Stream Deck. Anyone found any problems leaving it connected like that for long periods??

Last edited:
Help please! Has someone managed to use hot keys (such as ctrl + shift + Q) in Logic Pro X without triggering the very annoying white flashing screen?

cc @whinecellar

Last edited:
When I first saw this, the unit seemed limited and expensive for what it is. But reading this thread I quess I was wrong. Wish there was 5 x 5 or 4 x 5 rows to add more stuff.

Got the same impression when I first saw it. 15 configuration buttons is great, but a bit limited... and then, I tested it and discovered profiles and directories, and all the limitations are gone! :)

Very happy with it. The only matter so far is that there is sometimes a bit of latency when stacking a lot of key commands in a row.

0B90737E-9440-4420-AAD2-A4FAD3F9815B.jpeg
When I first saw this, the unit seemed limited and expensive for what it is. But reading this thread I quess I was wrong. Wish there was 5 x 5 or 4 x 5 rows to add more stuff.

Having 2 of them is absolute magic. I have my right one become a secondary set while the left one is my primary for the app in focus. However, for apps with tools - like a DAW or Photoshop - one becomes a tool palette. Best money I’ve spent this whole year!

Very nice Jim. I should add a 'no overlap' button. are you using the SD in single layer?

Thanks bud! No, I’m actually using two layers on each – but having a pair of them of course gives me that many more buttons per layer and alleviates a ton of layer jumping ;)

Ah- I see. Is the top left button on the second controller used to jump a level higher? Or do you double tap buttons to advance a layer? Sorry for being lazy. I should consult the manual. For some reason I thought one had to have one button available to jump layers.

Ah- I see. Is the top left button on the second controller used to jump a level higher? Or do you double tap buttons to advance a layer? Sorry for being lazy. I should consult the manual. For some reason I thought one had to have one button available to jump layers.

Yes, in that pic, the top left button shows that you're looking at the 2nd layer; you just tap that once to go a level higher (or lower if you're on the top level). But 90% of the time I don't do any layer jumping - some careful thought about layout gets me almost everything I want.

So...., I made an overview type video for this unit about 2 months ago and then got busy with various projects. Honestly..., best money spent this year for getting shit done. There's a few not so obvious features that I think really make this unit stand out. I'm using it with Pro Tools, Cubase, Izotope RX, FMOD, WWise, Unity, Premiere, After Effects, Excel...., pretty much every single application I use now has a 'profile'. And using this unit 'in tandem' with Keyboard Maestro is just pure bliss.

If my schedule stays as it is right now (hahahaha) I'll take the time to finish the video and upload it this week.

I will share here my personal presets I'm still working on for Logic Pro X if someone is interested.

I'm more using profiles than directories so far, because I wanted to change the back button position. It's working seamlessly.

Reactions: GdT
Top Bottom