What's new

Stream Deck - killer REAL button controller

I didn't see any info on the Elegato website regarding using multiple StreamDeck units at the same time, although I didn't dig too deep into the documentation or anything.

Are multiple units expressly supported? Anybody doing this (on Mac)?
I know you can definitely on PC (officially supported with Stream Deck 2). I’ve just emailed Elgato asking if 4 XL Stream Decks can be used on OSX. Will share the reply when I get one.

The thought of having physical buttons again is a joyous thought indeed.

Is the Stream Deck still being sold by Elgato? The Shop Now button is grayed-out on their webpage. I tried using different browsers and devices, but no luck. Could this be due to COVID-19?

I like KM a lot ... but when it comes to audio stuff, I'm still wondering what it would be useful for.

What are all you guys using KM for?
I trigger all my Midi Logical Presets with KM. I also set up to load my plugins on my tracks and load them with the correct preset, or choose presets with a palette before executing the macro. Visibility is also handled through KM with a Palette.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 18.31.26.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 18.31.26.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 18.31.09.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 18.31.09.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 18.34.05.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 18.34.05.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 45
The thought of having physical buttons again is a joyous thought indeed.
I'll be intested to see if you can make Streamdeck as clever and flexible as Metagrid has been up to now. Metagrid was, in part, specifically designed with Cubase in mind. Streamdeck is not and I've not much enjoyed trying to adapt it with new PLE and macro generic remotes. I gave up because I was just duplicating what I could already achieve with metagrid, and apart from being tactile, it wasn't adding anything. And an ipad is useful for many other things , in many other places.....
I do use the Streamdeck, for Davinci Resolve, Photoshop and Sibelius, just not Cubase. Keep us posted!

I'll be intested to see if you can make Streamdeck as clever and flexible as Metagrid has been up to now. Metagrid was, in part, specifically designed with Cubase in mind. Streamdeck is not and I've not much enjoyed trying to adapt it with new PLE and macro generic remotes. I gave up because I was just duplicating what I could already achieve with metagrid, and apart from being tactile, it wasn't adding anything. And an ipad is useful for many other things , in many other places.....
I do use the Streamdeck, for Davinci Resolve, Photoshop and Sibelius, just not Cubase. Keep us posted!
yes, without Keyboard Maestro between Cubase and the StreamDeck it wouldn't be as intuitive as MetaGrid. But with it is just so easy... no key command setup etc. KM can just trigger Macros and MLE commands directly. And StreamDeck can activate KM macros directly without any key command setup etc...

yes, without Keyboard Maestro between Cubase and the StreamDeck it wouldn't be as intuitive as MetaGrid. But with it is just so easy... no key command setup etc. KM can just trigger Macros and MLE commands directly. And StreamDeck can activate KM macros directly without any key command setup etc...
Bu Keyboard Maestro has no effective Windows equivalent unfortunately. OS division - win some lose some.

Yes, it suits people with a programming background, as it's script based. But alas that is not me.

I trigger all my Midi Logical Presets with KM. I also set up to load my plugins on my tracks and load them with the correct preset, or choose presets with a palette before executing the macro. Visibility is also handled through KM with a Palette.

Simon, any chance you might share your KM code or logic for one or two of these actions? I'm curious how you have it do this. I don't think the "click on this part of the screen" stuff works very good, so I imagine that people are more specific in their KM code.

Simon, any chance you might share your KM code or logic for one or two of these actions? I'm curious how you have it do this. I don't think the "click on this part of the screen" stuff works very good, so I imagine that people are more specific in their KM code.
yes sure. Absolutely no magic here :D
The action is called "Select or Show a Menu Item". Then you can simply navigate to the MLE Preset as KM can access all menu points shown in the menu bar. The Midi logical presets do appear there, so no problem.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 21.04.42.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 21.04.42.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 21.07.36.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 21.07.36.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 59

I’m looking forward to playing about with (should arrive tomorrow and did actually order it for Video but I’ll have to try it with Cubase too).

I didn't see any info on the Elegato website regarding using multiple StreamDeck units at the same time, although I didn't dig too deep into the documentation or anything.

Are multiple units expressly supported? Anybody doing this (on Mac)?
I have 2 units at the same time on Mac. Works fine.

I can see myself getting 4 XLs and just getting rid of the touch screen full stop. Nothing beats physical buttons and there won’t be any bullshit WiFi adhoc connections. Actually touching a button and it instantly working with no latency and actually not having to look and see if you pressed the right thing? Never 😂
But as soon as you use multiple layers on the XL‘s you would need to look at the buttons to assure yourself hitting the right button, no?

Better late than never to the party! I'm impressed. I can't believe it took me so long to get on board!

Now my QWERTY looks downright primitive. I'm ready for a full Stream Deck keyboard to replace it! ...it could turn into a traditional QWERTY when the curser is in a text field.

I'm a little disappointed that the iOS app is, not only not free, but is subscription :( I'd be happy to pay anything within reason for a Stream Deck app, but not a subscription. It seems like a weird fit for a subscription-model actually. Anyone finding the Stream Deck app subscription useful?

Last edited:
I don't know if anybody's already mentioned this, but there is a company called sideshowfx that makes Icons and preprogrammed buttons for Streamdeck and Touch-Portal.

They have Photoshop, Final Cut X, After Effects, Davinci Resolve, Premiere Pro, and Cinema 4D. No Cubase, alas. They make versions for both sizes of Streamdecks.

They also offer free sampler packs.

Get them HERE.

Last edited:
Top Bottom