What's new

Strange Kontakt's DFD buffer size behaviour for EW1955 VST

CeDur

Hi. I'm experiencing a strange thing with Embertone Walker 1955 VST when loaded to Kontakt Player. Usually, for other plugins, maxing preload buffer makes the VST to load into RAM causing a bit reduced CPU stress and minimizing hard drive usage which in general leads to better performance when playing live with those VSTs.

However it is completelty different story with EW1955. When I set preload buffer to 240kB, the piano is completely unplayable - I get cracks and pops every few notes. I don't think it's a RAM issue, since I have 16GB installed and usually 1 plugin loaded at the time. When I lower it to 6kB, everything works fine, no cracks and pops anymore. I'm using SSD so it's not a problem for quick sample load times, but shouldn't RAM access be faster? And why I experience that only with this particular VST? Do you have any idea?

It's not an actual "issue" for me, since I can leave it at 6kB and don't care. I learnt it by accident, changing global Kontakt settings and suddenly I was not able to play EW1955. I'm just curious what the heck is wrong with this plugin (or Kontakt). Btw. @EvilDragon I think I recognize you from other forums, Gearslutz and PTQ probably ;)

Top Bottom