1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straightforward lyrical featuring Berlin woods and Spitfire SSS

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Ben E, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    No tricky turns, nothing innovative. Just an exercise in continuity and coherence. Maybe even elegance. I dunno.

Any advice on getting more realism from the woodwinds would be greatly appreciated. Bear in mind that I don't (can't) play the notes in. It's all pencil-to-paper.

markleake, beyd770, Rob and 9 others like this.
  2. Craig Duke

Craig Duke Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes, very good continuity and a meaningful ending. The dotted half note making their first appearance really sets up that ending. The piece fits the Wyeth well.

Sorry, I have nothing to say about the WW other than they are very believable to my ear.

- Ben, do you compose on paper then transfer to a notation SW or sketch on paper and do most of the composing in SW?

- Since you do not play your midi, do you do anything in your SW to humanize the performances?

Nice piece. I like the quiet ones.

3. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    @Ben E this is a very nice composition. Based on your goals, I think you did great. I was a bit perplexed by the ending, it didn't sound very final. I really like the sound of the woodwinds. I'n not entirely sure that they sit well in the same room with the strings, but I was listening for problems, so someone who just hears the track might not notice an issue. Don't get me wrong, the sound is very attractive.

Hopefully other folks will offer some thoughts, but I can guess what some will say. Some people would suggest that you need to be more expressive in your dynamics and phrasing. That is, start each phrase softly, reach the highest dynamics at the climax of the phrase, then relax the dynamics and always taper off the volume on the last note of the phrase. This is generally good advice, the question is how much? Personally I prefer slightly more expressive phrasing than your piece uses, but less than some people would use. But I am confident you could add more expression and still be conservative in your interpretation. Even just tapering off the last note of each phrase will have a dramatic impact on the realism of your track.

You have a lot of talent. Thanks for posting this.

4. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Classy as always Ben. I'm a fan.

5. Tjur

Tjur Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Great piece, and yes, it's a study in elegance in my ears. Solid, I'm impressed.

6. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Well done! Music telling a story...

7. tav.one

tav.one Brown Composer

Very beautiful, can you share the MIDI?

8. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Okay first I have to get this off my chest — and you guys are the only people I know who would appreciate this: Last night I saw the LA Philharmonic (with Itzakh Perlman) do Elgar’s Variations on a Theme at the Disney Concert Hall. And Lalo Schiffrin was seated next to me for the show. Dude! I’m not a starstruck kind of person. It takes a lot to make me care about that stuff. But Lalo Schiffrin? Cool Hand Luke? Mission Impossible? The guy has his own separate Wikipedia page just for his discography and film scores.

Okay, enough of that.

Paul, thank you for your feedback. Oddly enough the ending feels the same to me as it does to you. Or at least it did the first 20 times I heard it. It simply wasn't finished. But then I became ear-blind to it and it started to sound right. That's a liability I'm used to. That's what this forum is for, for me anyway. Fresh ears from people who know how to listen. And thank you for the phrasing advice. I'm going to work from that perspective from now on.

@Craig Duke
    Craig, I do most of the composing in the DAW. Nothing is written on real paper. Everything starts snapped to the grid and then hours of nudging, manually shaping dynamic automation, master tempo and re-positioning attacks (off grid.)

@Alex Fraser
    Thank you sir!

@Tjur
    Thank you!

@Saxer
    Thank you, Saxer. (You should have won the Spitfire trailer thing.)

Jdiggity1 likes this.
  9. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    This is quite beautiful.

10. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    Whoa. Truly one of the greats.

11. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    A lovely composition. Maybe the woodwinds are a bit to dry compared to the strings...
    Thank you for sharing.

12. Craig Duke

Craig Duke Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Chicago
    Lalo. Wow! I had a contract with NASA-JPL in the late 80's and lived in the downtown L.A. I went to a jazz club near where I lived to see a group of Stan Kenton alumni, including mellophoniums, playing his music from the early 60's. I'm sitting alone at the bar for a while when I looked to my left and noticed two people down from me is Henry Mancini. I've seen plenty of celebs but HM ....

Ben E and Rob like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Sure. I'll look into that later today.

tav.one likes this.