What's new

Stop what your doing and buy this book now !

still love physical books, but in this case I may have to make an exception... does anyone have either the Kindle or Google Books version, and can you tell me if they have the audio examples linked?

Thanks!

Got the Kindle version just didn't want to wait two weeks for delivery, thanks Ed.
The URL to the companion website doesn't work, it takes you to Oxford University Press but it says page not found so thanks Ed for providing a working link.
Within the body of the text, the audio icons are just there for reference. They don't link to the companion website. Too bad, that would have been a great feature.

Last edited:
Got the Kindle version just didn't want to wait two weeks for delivery, thanks Ed.
The URL to the companion website doesn't work, it takes you to Oxford University Press but it says page not found so thanks Ed for providing a working link.
Within the body of the text, the audio icons are just there for reference. They don't link to the companion website. Too bad, that would have been a great feature.

yeah that would...not sure how that would work in Kindle

e

I'll have to buy the Kindle version as well. It is $10 as compared to Hardcover which is $125 in my country :emoji_confounded:

I just got through the first pages and finally understood what John Williams does in E.T. flying theme (I always thought there was some kind of modulation, not just going to a lydian chord), though the topic isn't about it.

btw I used the first example as an orchestration exercise :)

Thanks for the suggestion.
I put it in my wishlist.

For those that find it difficult to buy it from their country, it is also available at bookdepository.com with free shipping worldwide.

still love physical books, but in this case I may have to make an exception... does anyone have either the Kindle or Google Books version, and can you tell me if they have the audio examples linked?

Thanks!
In case you didn’t find out till now. I have the kindle version. There are no direct links to the audio examples at least they do not work but the clips are all on the website where you have to search them yourself. I hope I didn’t miss something about that. Anyway very, very good book as far as I can tell after a short visit.

The book is excellent but very verbose and academic in prose. Reading it is a bit like eating a steak with no teeth. The end result is good but the effort to get there could have been simpler.

Got it on amazon (for kindle). The printed version was expensive shipped to Spain!

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, Ed! :)

I have a whole library full of music books but this one covers aspects of film music that the others do not.
The best part of the book is that it is full of score reduction excerpts and accompanying audio clips from composers like Williams, Shore, Silverstri, Newman, Davis, Elfman, Zimmer, J N Howard, Horner, Herrmann, Goldsmith and more.

Yes, the reading is a little steep. The author does take a very academic theoretical approach but the score reductions and audio clips put theory into practice and that's where the rubber hits the road. I don't know if the composers mentioned were well versed in neo-Riemannian pantriadic theory, who knows, but the author does give one explanation as to why the referenced music excerpts sound the way they do. After analyzing each musical example, I said to myself, ahhhh that's how that works, I would have never thought of that, this is a great idea...mine now.

Thanks again Ed, this has opened up a whole new world. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom