What's new

Stepic - New Sequencer (Available in Max4Live, Standalone, Vst and AU)

el-bo

When life gives you lemons, swap 'em for mangos
I don't own it, and there isn't a demo version (They do offer a 30-day money-back guarantee). Saw a video from a channel I subscribe to, and thought it looked interesting. The M4L version is here:

And the Standalone, Vst/Au version is here:

Watched the same video. The channel is a recent discovery for me as I enjoy ambient music and looking to create a few tracks in that style.

Watched the same video. The channel is a recent discovery for me as I enjoy ambient music and looking to create a few tracks in that style.
Signs is cool. He runs the Ambientonline forums:

and organises the bi-monthly ambientonline compilations (Pretty sure they’re open for anyone to submit)

Also well worth checking-out Martin Stürtzer's channel. Does at-home live ambient and techno gigs:

And lastly, a channel I'm very into, right now. 4lienetic makes great ambient music, but also has quite a few sound-design sessions and tutorials to watch. He's currently doing a project where he makes a track every day, for a year. Very cool!

Last edited:
Max4Live is so great - so many brilliant (& sometimes wacky) devices!!
The only downside is they are ableton LIVE only (or Max) - I remember years ago making a filter delay in Max and exporting it in Pluggo format & could then use it in ProTools...

For anyone who wants to get amongst it, I got this book a while ago and am (very) slowly working through it... It comes with a download link to patches:

Step by Step: Adventures in Sequencing with Max/MSP​

Amazon product ASIN 1732590303

Max4Live is so great - so many brilliant (& sometimes wacky) devices!!
The only downside is they are ableton LIVE only (or Max) - I remember years ago making a filter delay in Max and exporting it in Pluggo format & could then use it in ProTools...

For anyone who wants to get amongst it, I got this book a while ago and am (very) slowly working through it... It comes with a download link to patches:

Step by Step: Adventures in Sequencing with Max/MSP​

Amazon product ASIN 1732590303
It does seem cool. Only own Ableton LiTE, but I can see M4L being a pretty big draw for 'Suite' users.

Will your projects be for personal use, or commercial?

Looks pretty similar to Sugar Bytes' Thesys; I enjoy the added flourishes in Thesys, where you can do things like apply momentary pitch bends to notes in the sequence for a more lively performance

I’ve been enjoying Stepic quite a bit. I like the HY sequencers as well. While they both have great options I feel that Stepic sounds less ‘rigid’. I know that sounds ridiculous as these sequencers are supposed to be tight timing wise…. But there seems to be some added musicality in Stepic?

It doesn’t have the pretty wild modulation options of the HY sequencers, but there are a lot of randomization tools to subtly (or not!) alter your pattern. There are options to constrain some of the limits of randomization. There also a section for adding automation/CC tracks to control your synth.

@antret - No, you're right about rigidity. I was trying out two sequencers the other day - Venomode's Phrasebox and Audiomodern's Riffer. Although I prefer the feature set of Riffer, it's timing is stiff as a board. You really have to go out of your way to make it sound musical. Phrasebox, on the other hand, seems more fluid and relaxed even though it's still perfectly on time. Go figure.

@antret - No, you're right about rigidity. I was trying out two sequencers the other day - Venomode's Phrasebox and Audiomodern's Riffer. Although I prefer the feature set of Riffer, it's timing is stiff as a board. You really have to go out of your way to make it sound musical. Phrasebox, on the other hand, seems more fluid and relaxed even though it's still perfectly on time. Go figure.
Yes! Ok, so I’m not alone. :). I agree with your assessment of Riffer and Phrasebox as well.

If I'm not mistaken, Phrasebox is VST2 only.

Won't create a new thread, but am intrigued by this. I asked the following on kvr, but no responses yet so I'ma try here!

Since there's no demo, I have some questions:

Can you input notes using a midi controller? I would find this easier, especially dealing with more syncopated sequences.

Does the sequence trigger from a midi note in my daw? If not how would I compose music with it (I write using Reaper)

Does it work well with Reaper?

Does it work well triggering vst softsynths?

Thanks

Top Bottom