Stephen Limbaugh's Magical Thread of Less-Familiar but GREAT Music.

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
Is starting a continuous thread like this allowed? Allow me to save the trouble of so many and curate a thread of interesting videos featuring odd performances, weird stuff the film composers can steal, or inspirational music.

Inaugural link:
Leonid Khataritonov
WOW... a fantastic bass-baritone... and very interesting aesthetic to the video. Hmm!

Distorted Russian Choirs FTW.

OP
Stephen Limbaugh

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
Moreschi absolutely breaks my heart. I hadn't searched for a castrato recording in a long time, and found that someone has since made this recording more clear. Stunningly surreal, it is too difficult to describe. Also amazed by the ornamentation.

Last edited:

Gingerbread

Moreschi absolutely breaks my heart. I hadn't searched for a castrato recording in a long time, and found that someone has since made this recording more clear. Stunningly surreal, it is too difficult to describe. Also amazed by the ornamentation.

That's quite a nice b5 he hits, even if he wasn't in his prime anymore.

davidhewitson

Wow, this is heartbreaking. I've never heard castrato singing before, it's horrifying what they did to him. I can hear the pain in his voice, he sings beautifully but this chills me to the bone. Thanks for sharing

OP
Stephen Limbaugh

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
Some have probably seen this before. There is a musicality in how the animation unfolds, like how a great writer of dialogue has a musical feel to their work: stepwise motion from cute, to funny, to surprising, to absurd, to bizarre, then a recapitulation.

He also does a fine job scoring the clip himself as he does with all his videos. The harmony moves in very unexpected ways. (also see "Circle World" on his channel)

Last edited:

Jay Panikkar

Introduce A Little Anarchy
Some have probably seen this before. There is a musicality in how the animation unfolds, like how a great writer of dialogue has a musical feel to their work: stepwise motion from cute, to funny, to surprising, to absurd, to bizarre, then a recapitulation.

He also does a fine job scoring the clip himself as he does with all his videos. The harmony moves in very unexpected ways. (also see "Circle World" on his channel)

Bovine Hit Single.

OP
Stephen Limbaugh

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
The music made for silent films is worth reinvestigating, a search which revealed the equipment of the fabled Steampunk DJs:

I like music

A rare instance where using period instruments sound as compelling as using contemporary ones... or at the very least, more clearly illustrates Berlioz's the reasoning behind some of the unusual orchestration choices. The blend of the winds is more warm, rich, and detailed.

Fuckin awesome

OP
Stephen Limbaugh

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
In the debate about the presence of melody in modern filmmaking, perhaps it is that many melodies presented to contemporary directors do not have the correct rhythm, even though their various pitches, orchestration, or harmonic content may be suitable.

Orson Welles offers insight here, explaining that there is a priori rhythmic aspect inherent in movies/theatre.

JJP

I put dots and lines on paper.
I think disappearance of melody has far more to do with the way the film editing and therefore the scoring process has changed. Music is being delivered without locked picture. Non-melodic music can be more easily edited. I've seen so many film and music editors who appreciate the ability to cut up a piece of music and use it in some way other than it was composed.

Edit: I think you also have to consider the rise of the sequencer and DAW and the way that affects people's approach to composing as well. It lends itself to pattern-based writing.

Last edited:
OP
Stephen Limbaugh

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
Quarantining musicians of the St. Louis Symphony part 2. Alphorn trio. Might be useful to drop one of these in a track sometime.

OP
Stephen Limbaugh

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
Nuit sur le Mont Chauve (presto! presto!)

Middle of the Belle Epoch's residual genius tail effect. I'd rather score something like this for no money than 10 sequels of Marvel slop.

OP
Stephen Limbaugh

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
Obnoxious as this is, it is extremely difficult to disagree with this critique of Mozart's output in his later years.

Youtube is undoubtedly flush with Glenn Gould's ramblings (he himself the sort of self parody he accuses Mozart of being), though this one is only two months old and may have not yet populated some enthusiasts' feeds.

How much contemporary film music could stand up to such scrutiny?

OP
Stephen Limbaugh

Stephen Limbaugh

le nouveau 36 rue Ballu
A WONDERFUL program put on by the Chicago Symphony covering the trumpet's role in American military history for Veterans Day today.