What's new

Steinberg Support .. is anybody there??

erica-grace

I have ALWAYS gotten a reply from steinberg within 24 hours (unless I opened a ticket on a weekend, or late Fri). Then, either on Mon or Tues.

But that's in the USA. Are you guys elsewhere in the world?

mixtur

Sweden, usually takes weeks here. Have been using cubase for around 20 years and it’s always been like this. It was better for a while when their disti at the time ran it but it didnt last long. I usually spend a few hours on their forum to troubleshoot the issue or simply just give up and move on. The forum is really good though so 9/10 times I get it done, but I’m quite technical and I doubt this would be a solution for the average musician.
I have a ticket open now actually. No response.

OP
A

alanmcp

if their own guy thinks every ticket is answered in 48 hours then what realistic hope do we have that things will improve?? Every reply so far bar one says mostly a week or more for replies... I'm in the UK. Customer support and customer re-assurance (a happy customer comes back for more.. because they know they get great customer service..) is certainly not high on their agenda. Still waiting of course..

mixtur

Hello,

Sorry to hear about that, unless there is a massive backlog our support usually replies within 48hours max. Have you submitted a Support Request Form through your MySteinberg account? If so, do you have the support ticket number we can follow up on. Unfortunately as you have already initiated a dispute via PayPal, most probably you are just going to get a refund and we will never know what the actual problem was.

Best regards,
GN
This is actually not true at all. I’ve been using Steinberg products for 20 years and have opened many tickets. I don’t think I’ve ever had a response faster than after a few weeks. There’s usually never a solution beyond resetting settings or re-installing, so I simply avoid the known issues and just hope Steinberg is aware and will be fixe it in a future update. currently have an open ticket, but it has been a few days already so I’m not holding my breath.

erica-grace

Guillermo - do you have more agents in the USA per, say, 100 customers then elsewhere in the world? I am not asking for numbers of course, just wondering if you have enough support agents outside the USA :)

Guillermo Navarrete

Hello,

Guillermo - do you have more agents in the USA per, say, 100 customers then elsewhere in the world? I am not asking for numbers of course, just wondering if you have enough support agents outside the USA :)
We are not based in the US, our HQ is in Hamburg Germany, currently we have around 18-19 Support agents to cover our Europe direct operations, and we have another office in the USA with around 7-8 support representatives. When I started in the company, almost 10 years ago we were around 7-8 support agents, so we have been adding agents to improve our response times, but some tickets have different priorities.

Hi,
Yes, I've opened 2 support tickets in my My Steinberg account - one last Friday, and another 3 days ago to a different department, hoping one would get picked up sooner - the ticket ID's are #214358 and #214846. The dispute can be stopped at my end if I get a reply and a fix - it's about getting a communication. I purchased Halion 6 crossgrade, had to send proof of eligibility and that got authoirsed NEXT DAY , so I purchased the product. Downloaded all the files. Installed the Halion 6 files and they installed fine. After installing, the app has a "no entry" red UK road sign - that's how I'd describe it - through the app. When i click on the app I get the message that I'm running OS 10.11.6 and the program needs 10.12 and above to open. Now , the steinberg specs say different - 10.11 and above. If this is a newer upgraded version then fine , send me the older version that will work in 10.11.6 as stated in the specs and that's it sorted.
EastWest used to be awful at customer support , taking days to get a reply, as did Native Instruments but they all seem to have upped their game, except Steinberg, and I'm a huge fan of Steinberg products.
I'll have a look and try to get you a solution today.

Best regards,
GN

ProfoundSilence

people have a skewed perception of how support works, and depending on how support is managed - this can change things a lot.

Imagine this:

many people probably have simple problems with easy fixes - and Steinburg might deal with tons of these under 48 hours, and those aren't going to be the ones visibly complaining on a forum.

2nd factor: if you're even remotely intelligent you're probably going to install things correctly, and when it does work - you'll probably try everything you can on your end to fix it before even going to support. So if you've got 3 digits worth of good ole' IQ, your problem is likely going to be complicated by default, and thus the only experience of support you have with them, is when you actually have some weird system specific issue, that's likely going to result in emails being passed around if anyone else encountered that/a fix/them trying to reproduce it/ect.

For all we know, their management style might be please most of the people most of the time, which results in them focusing on getting as many smiling faces(easy fixes) and the obscure or rare hard to troubleshoot errors end up being worked on over the course of weeks, or it's such a unique case that they weren't able to reproduce and had no other similar issues reported that they give up, because they can't simply access your computer to figure out why it's misbehaving.

And it is worth noting the Steinberg is a german company. I work with tons of german products, and support is generally the same... usually excellent craftmanship - but slow responses, and little or awkward US support.

Infact I think I remember berhinger didn't have a US support phone number for a long time, and Roland Vdrums US technical support was something weird like Monday-Wednesday-Friday 8a-4p with like 2-3 different guys you'd talk to. Native Instruments support is.... well native instruments. I've never had an issue with the Kemper, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I get the feeling germans just value their time out of work more than americans value the hustle. That's not a bad thing, they might work banker hours but plenty of german companies in the music industry literally set the standard with pure quality. Think about the reputation of some of this legendary gear that's come from roland… how many Doepfer LMK4+ have you seen in developer videos? Think about Orchestral Tools, and their reputation. VSL I assume is Austrian, but it's comparing Bach to Beethoven at this point, they're neighbors.

I'm sure some companies might take some slight, but with the upmost respect - these are my purely anecdotal/stereotypical observations, and I've taken the good with the bad, and as we speak I'm using a Native instruments keyboard(GE) Roland(GE) studio capture interface, expensive Roland Vdrums(again GE) and I own almost the entire Orchestral Tools(GE) catalogue at this point, and despite holding off for a long time - these quickly replaced anything I used before and are going to be really hard to replace. 1 foot away from me is my Kemper(GE) Profiling Amp. Steinburg(GE) Cubase is my DAW.

Typically I see a german product and I'm apprehensive because of really bad support experiences with companies like berhinger - but end up reeled in by sheer quality. I mean common, VST = literally Steinberg technology.

/rant

tldr version: GE products have a knack for being amazing and then having lack luster support. End up using the products anyways and waiting patiently for support because they keep making good products.

OP
A

alanmcp

If Steinberg offered older compatible Installs (as per their online specs) of their Current versions I wouldn't have opened this thread. I had a good look through their downloads section, legacy section, etc. I have now received support from Steinberg but I assume it's only after Guillermo Navarrete stepped in via this thread, and i thank him very much. I havn't installed as yet but I'm assuming I won't have any problems with this version. A simple fix that has took a week to get a reply. If you buy any product online, particularly products as expensive and as comprehensive as software based products then prompt and efficient support should be paramount. You pay the money so you expect a level of support excellence at all levels from the business you purchase from. A no brainer.. It's a win win for everyone then. Even if Steinberg had an online chat - what a difference that would make for everyone.

Wolfie2112

You pay the money so you expect a level of support excellence at all levels from the business you purchase from. A no brainer.. It's a win win for everyone then. Even if Steinberg had an online chat - what a difference that would make for everyone.
Exactly. There is simply no excuse for waiting a week (usually longer from Steinberg) for a response. If they can't handle the support volumes, hire more staff. Jeez, even companies like 8Dio have a support chat, and they get back to you pretty much instantly. Even if they can't resolve something right away, they acknowledge your concern and get back to you within a reasonable timeframe (a simple, personalized acknowledgement goes a long way...and I don't mean the generic auto-reply messages).

emid

I have some issues going on with Acustica Audio plugins. After opening a ticket on AA I opened a ticket on Steinberg as well. I got reply the next day from a senior representative, Fabio. We are still in touch as the issue is not yet resolved but his support is fabulous just like his name.

Previously, I had to wait for a week or two. This is my first ever 'fast' experience with Steinberg.

Top Bottom