What's new

Steinberg NUENDO sale up to 70% off

[QUOTE="JonSolo”]
Edit: I did notice that Cubase Pro 10 install is 21gb...and Nuendo 8 is 13gb. I have no idea what Nuendo 10 will be. But there is clearly a difference...so to rephrase an earlier question: what will I lose if I crossgrade to Nuendo?

I think you’ll find most of the difference in those file sizes is the loops and sounds packs included with Cubase that aren’t in Nuendo.[/QUOTE]
Wait! They charge MORE and I get LESS????

Hmm. Not sure I have ever used their loops and sound packs. Are they any good? They fact they don't bother giving them to the professional studio version tells me they are probably not that great.

Hmm. Not sure I have ever used their loops and sound packs. Are they any good? They fact they don't bother giving them to the professional studio version tells me they are probably not that great.

I’ve used one of the construction packs once on a paying job - other than that I’ve never touched them tbh. I’m not a fan of using loops. There are some Halion & Groove Agent sounds included though but I’ve never touched them (or even Halion/Groove Agent) either!

Nuendo comes with some post specific audio files (IIRC about 2Gb worth) but nowhere near the quantity of the music stuff included with Cubase Pro.

I mean TECHNICALLY I paid for those extras and should be able to keep them...but I have no idea how they are handled.

I think my bigger issue is how Nuendo performs with my Scarlett 6i6. I am not getting the same performance I do with Cubase...nothing but crackles in Nuendo on same projects that are clean in Cubase.

Playing around with the Demo right now. Wow. The game audio integration with Wwise is amazing! The way it transfers loop points and pre/post exit cues is so slick.

Plus, using ‘edit mode’ I can finally edit audio ala ‘Pro Tools style’. So far I’m in love.
If I was working processionally on Game Audio I would get it for that for sure. I only used Wwise one a Game Audio Project in College, but the whole system truly impressed me :)

I mean TECHNICALLY I paid for those extras and should be able to keep them...but I have no idea how they are handled.

I would think Steinberg's rationalisation of that would be "your current low Nuendo upgrade price reflects the investment you made on Cubase Pro which includes a lot of additional media" ;)

Edited.

I'm planning to really dig in over the next 2 weeks while the cross-grade is available so maybe I'll come up with my own answers to these questions, but I figured it was worth asking here in case anyone knows. FWIW, I'm fairly knowledgable with Cubase, but only as a MIDI/music composition tool. I'm fine with creating macros, etc.

Here's a few questions coming from someone that uses PT for editing/post.

1) Is there a way to say, select all clips/events/regions on a track and create both crossfades as well as fade in/out WITHOUT adjusting any existing fades that already exist on that track?

2) Is there a way to adjust the fade curves without having to open the fades dialogue box, either through quick keys or dragging the fade curve with the mouse?

3) Is there a way to snap the beginning of a clip, the snap point, and/or the end of a clip/event to the cursor without having to actually select said clip?

4) What's the best method for taking files on two mono tracks, and moving them to a stereo track...., and vice versa? EDIT - It's a menu option in Nuendo.

5) In Pro Tools, I can hold the 'control' key, and then any file I move in the edit window will snap the beginning of the clip to that point. Also, any file I drag in from the finder, sound miner, etc. will snap to that point as well. Is there anything similar in N8?

Last edited:
Yes here is a video I found (and posted elsewhere on this forum):

I am curious as to how Nuendo 10 will improve on that!

Edit: I did notice that Cubase Pro 10 install is 21gb...and Nuendo 8 is 13gb. I have no idea what Nuendo 10 will be. But there is clearly a difference...so to rephrase an earlier question: what will I lose if I crossgrade to Nuendo?

Wait now. Cubase didn't already HAVE this?

They did HAVE a form of it. But they have more detailed editing capabilities now (as noted by the video). I have not played enough with Nuendo 8 but I would say Cubase is as good if not better...but that is why Nuendo 10 is coming out. Of course Cubase lacks many of the features of Nuendo...I was just comparing the current feature set that BOTH Cubase 10 and Nuendo 8 have.

Does it matter? Nuendo is essentially Cubase with added features.

In the short term, if you decide to activate Nuendo 8, you will lose the new Cubase 10 features until Nuendo 10 launches some time in Q2. Not a big deal.

In the longer term, you will be locked into whatever Steinberg charge for Nuendo updates (currently $250-$650), which you need to factor into your value assessment.

In my case, I would really like the video rendering and surround support, but I have no need for the VR, game audio or batch export functionality, so I'm very on the fence about whether to make the move.

I wonder if $980 is the new permanent price for Nuendo, or whether it will revert to $1900? Companies and their investors favor recurring revenue streams these days, so maybe Steinberg's motivation with the crossgrade/price cut is to get a much wider user base paying higher annual upgrade fees rather than a very small niche market paying steep upfront costs?

What's the equivalent Cubase again? Because I'm demoing N8--and it's been a rock of stability like I've not seen since 8.5 on Windows specifically...NOTHING scientific--because I've been demoing Cubase versions looking for a solid performer on what amounts to three computers over the last couple years. I demo'd 8.5 and found it solid on windows--draggy as hell on OSX...9.5 was instable on both platforms for me--but they had fixed whatever draggy UI on the OSX side. I only tried 10 on the new Win10 tower--it was more stable than 9.5...less than 8.5 and below...

I'd actually reverted back to Cubase6 for MIDI and Mixbus32c for straight audio recording. But, I figured I'd demo Nuendo8...it's been a rock and I can turn on ASIO Guard and run really low buffers...had this been my experience with ANY of those Cubase versions, I'd have upgraded on the spot...I feel like I should look and see if I have any of the installers for whatever version this is supposed to equate to...

I now see it mentioned earlier as Cubase v9=Nuendo v8. Funny, I don't think it did a demo of 9--I did 8.5 then 9.5...and recently 10 on all new OS/hardware.

What's the equivalent Cubase again? Because I'm demoing N8--and it's been a rock of stability like I've not seen since 8.5 on Windows specifically...NOTHING scientific--because I've been demoing Cubase versions looking for a solid performer on what amounts to three computers over the last couple years. I demo'd 8.5 and found it solid on windows--draggy as hell on OSX...9.5 was instable on both platforms for me--but they had fixed whatever draggy UI on the OSX side. I only tried 10 on the new Win10 tower--it was more stable than 9.5...less than 8.5 and below...

I'd actually reverted back to Cubase6 for MIDI and Mixbus32c for straight audio recording. But, I figured I'd demo Nuendo8...it's been a rock and I can turn on ASIO Guard and run really low buffers...had this been my experience with ANY of those Cubase versions, I'd have upgraded on the spot...I feel like I should look and see if I have any of the installers for whatever version this is supposed to equate to...
This is what makes me wonder if it is worth getting. I spend half my music making time dealing with DAW issues. Though sometimes I wonder if I make these issues just to procrastinate. Nah, the frustration is causes is not something I want. I can find more fun ways to procrastinate.

I guess I need to download the demo now.

In the short term, if you decide to activate Nuendo 8, you will lose the new Cubase 10 features until Nuendo 10 launches some time in Q2. Not a big deal.

In the longer term, you will be locked into whatever Steinberg charge for Nuendo updates (currently $250-$650), which you need to factor into your value assessment.

In my case, I would really like the video rendering and surround support, but I have no need for the VR, game audio or batch export functionality, so I'm very on the fence about whether to make the move.

I wonder if $980 is the new permanent price for Nuendo, or whether it will revert to $1900? Companies and their investors favor recurring revenue streams these days, so maybe Steinberg's motivation with the crossgrade/price cut is to get a much wider user base paying higher annual upgrade fees rather than a very small niche market paying steep upfront costs?
Well, this is why I use Reaper. ;)

My only problem with crossgrading to Nuendo is the price of updates. That's what's really stopping me at this point. I don't know that I need a lot of the features of Nuendo though some would be nice. The upgrade price really puts me off doing it.

Adding timerelated sounds like steps did not work so far inside Cubase with the Quicktimevideo.
Sometimes I had to ask the filmstudio that I worked for to put those sounds
into their Protools system which felt humiliating.
The stepsounds looked good in Cubase with the Quicktimevideo,
but after rendering they were all over the place.

So far only adding music for a film was good inside Cubase, I am happy they fixed that
and i hope it works now.

Ok...officially in. Amazingly it does not feel like I caved. I have been demoing N8 and while it is basically C9.5, it is solid and access to more features will be a good step forward.

With Nuendo 10 around the corner, I understand that all of the features and content from Cubase 10 will appear there.

Last edited:
Alright...., I'm officially in as well. Feels a little scary due to giving up the Cubase license, but I've really been enjoying the extra features in Nuendo over the past couple weeks. I'm hoping that the Nuendo community will grow/be more active with this release since there are probably a number of people doing the cross-grade and the fact that the base purchase price is coming down. There's just such little info out there on Nuendo only features. Very little to zero training/tutorials on any of the major learning sites like Groove3, Macprovideo, Lynda, etc. Not much on youtube either.

For what it's worth, here's a few links I've found highly educational.

https://ask.audio/articles/a-complete-guide-to-nuendo-and-cubases-automation-panel
https://www.asoundeffect.com/nuendo-sound-design/

Top Bottom