What's new

Steinberg NUENDO sale up to 70% off

Note the small print...
That's the show stopper right there. Though it looks like you can get a Nuedo license for $1000 which is incredible. Honestly though I could never figure out what the benefit of Nuedo was over Cubase for composers. Though I know a lot of composers who do use Nuendo.

This is an incredible deal!
My views come as a very very long time nuendo user... I moved over from cubase when nuendo was V1 and using a serial port dongle....with a number below 100.
I also have cubase in my studio arsenal, and have recently been using it to host video for entire projects while I write in nuendo. And its there that I notice the little differences which all add up to great workflow helpers. Funnily enough, a lot of them will help an assistant sometimes more than a composer...
But things like reconform tools are invaluable when new versions of reels come in. It makes re-spotting cues an absolute breeze, even if thats not what it was meant for.
The automation tools are DEEP and very cool if you are mixing your own cues.
The extended surround support (up to 20.2 / dolby atmos etc) won't effect most writers... unless you are working in experiencial / events etc
Anymix Pro is worth its weight in gold though even when just mixing quad/5.0 for film cue deliveries. Its an incredible panner / upmixer / spacial plugin.
You get 2 video tracks. Awesome for keeping track of previous versions for directors (especially in ad land.) . Though this can be mitigated if you use a different piece of software for hosting your videos.
Text overlay / count in on video is awesome for recording instrumentalists to picture.
Being able to monitor groups in the control room (can you do this in C10? maybe) - this is awesome for really quickly listening to refs / changing which mix you are listening to etc. isolating things without having to go to the mixer.
Batch exporting. Again - this is more for someone exporting many mixes from a single session. Ad guys would love this. Big time saver.
The other stuff is more post production orientated - but the Game Audio + ADR facilities are awesome.

Just found this on the steinberg forum
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=96521
Out of date, but not THAT out of date :)

Oh man...., wasn’t expecting this. Been getting into game audio, and ‘ads’ makes up 90% of my composition work.

So, does NUENDO have ALL the same MIDI features as Cubase now? Wasn’t there a time when you had to purchase a separate package for integrating MIDI features into Nuendo??

I saw a teaser for Nuendo 10, which probably means it is coming soon. The question is probably, will you get the Crossgrade within a grace period, when you buy it now (and probably register a little later).
Personally, I would instantly buy Nuendo - even at full price - if it would give the same special love to midi features, expression maps, generic remote ... basically all of the really great features for composers!
Now, I cannot history it, as it doesn’t offer me much, I can use for composing.
There certainly would be some useful features in it, though. Just not enough to justify the price for the future updates (something like 300€ for each new version).

I saw a teaser for Nuendo 10, which probably means it is coming soon. The question is probably, will you get the Crossgrade within a grace period, when you buy it now (and probably register a little later).
Personally, I would instantly buy Nuendo - even at full price - if it would give the same special love to midi features, expression maps, generic remote ... basically all of the really great features for composers!
Now, I cannot history it, as it doesn’t offer me much, I can use for composing.
There certainly would be some useful features in it, though. Just not enough to justify the price for the future updates (something like 300€ for each new version).

Does Nuendo NOT have all the MIDI features, expression maps, generic remote, etc??

Nuendo has ALL the midi features since the NEK was retired. (You used to have to buy NEK separately to get all the cubase midi tools / scoring. That is not the case anymore)

Nuendo 8 has the same codebase as Cubase 9. (Not sure about 9.5 - I don't have cubase 9.5 still on my machine to check)

Nuendo 10 (skipping 9) seems to bring the two pieces of software to the same version number (hip hip hooray. Makes talking about them much easier!) . But who knows when it will drop. SB have in the past had decent free upgrade windows.

Nuendo has ALL the midi features since the NEK was retired. (You used to have to buy NEK separately to get all the cubase midi tools / scoring. That is not the case anymore)

Nuendo 8 has the same codebase as Cubase 9. (Not sure about 9.5 - I don't have cubase 9.5 still on my machine to check)

Nuendo 10 (skipping 9) seems to bring the two pieces of software to the same version number (hip hip hooray. Makes talking about them much easier!) . But who knows when it will drop. SB have in the past had decent free upgrade windows.
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

In the longer term though it looks like the version updates each year are considerably more than for Cubase?

The head of the Steinberg Professional Audio Business Unit posted this on the Cubase forum...

You are entitled to update to Nuendo 10 for free later in Q2 2019 when using this crossgrade offer.

Note the small print...
Yeah, so add whatever price you paid for Cubase and that's your price. Your cubase price + 390 = ???
Pretty much the same price as a full non-discounted Nuendo license I'm sure. I like Cubase and other Steinberg products, but it has been such a headache trying to authorize that I've given up on them. Perhaps it's my machine. Successfully authorize Cubase at one time...a few weeks later, not authorized. Happens again and again. I'll stick with Reaper.

Nuendo 10 will have the video rendering... but pretty sure March buyers will have to pay the upgrade... so for Cubase Pro 389 dollars + around 300 dollars to use Nuendo 10 in a few months.

I am a user of Nuendo since the last sale and very happy with it. It never crashes contrary to Cubase Pro on my system.

Last edited:
Nuendo 10 will have the video rendering... but pretty sure March buyers will have to pay the upgrade... so for Cubase Pro 389 dollars + around 300 dollars to use Nuendo 10 in a few months.

I am a user of Nuendo since the last sale and very happy with it. It never crashes contrary to Cubase Pro on my system.
See a few posts above...

“The head of the Steinberg Professional Audio Business Unit posted this on the Cubase forum...

You are entitled to update to Nuendo 10 for free later in Q2 2019 when using this crossgrade offer.”

See a few posts above...

“The head of the Steinberg Professional Audio Business Unit posted this on the Cubase forum...

You are entitled to update to Nuendo 10 for free later in Q2 2019 when using this crossgrade offer.”

well that seems to be interesting so !

On the Steinberg forums, Timo from Steinberg said that the release of Nuendo 10 will see the end of users having to have both Nuendo and Cubase to stay up to date with all of the features. Apparently with v10 they’re bringing the two product lines into the same development branch. If this is the case then having to give up your Cubase license isn’t as big a show stopper as it sounds.

If you already have both then hopefully this means no more having to buy 2 upgrades every new release!

{edit: here’s his exact post}
“We have re-aligned the main sequencer development which means that you won't have to wait
a year or more for features that we first introduce with Cubase. That said, both Cubase and
Nuendo now run on the same development branch, which also means that bug fixing will be more
efficient for both platforms. Depending on the release cycles, both products will introduce new
features and functions with every new version. All of them will make it always to Nuendo (as usual)
and (only) selected functions introduced with Nuendo first will make it into Cubase, later.”

Last edited:
Has anyone seen when this discount/special crossgrade pricing will end?

Also, if anyone knows....., can you open a Cubase project in Nuendo?

Top Bottom