What's new

Steinberg Iconica

You can purge in Halion 6 using RAM-save function.

Thanks. Unfortunately, it's like the Play engine: it's an "after the fact" purging. Meaning that you need to have everything fully loaded, play the part and then unload the unused samples. Kontakt first unloads everything and then loads the required samples as you play. That means you can have a purged instrument ready to play but not consuming any RAM.

Here's Elgars Nimrod, all Iconica. Just entered the notes and dynamics as in the score:

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/iconica_nimrod_mp3-320-kbps-mp3.15058/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Amazing sounding... Especially in the higher registers/strings. Very realistic (like in a real orchestra setting.. not the hollywood polished sound)

I'm still not feelin' the love with Iconica. I have yet to hear a demo that sounds convincing.
convincing? depends on what you are after. the lush polished movie sound, or the more classical sound.
Iconica sounds more like the latter imho. (and does it quite well, beyond what i'd expected)
but it lack the polished movie sound. (blockbuster lushness).

I think it's the lack of realism, to me it sounds like a mid-grade string library, even when I listen to the "pro" demos in the Steinberg videos.

You can purge in Halion 6 using RAM-save function.
Would you please tell me exactly what the RAM-save function you are talking about?
You can quote the contents from its Steinberg official online manual, so I can see whether we are thinking of similar thing. One of my friend in Beijing who tried to add hundreds of Iconica VST instances to his Nuendo template, but he got 128GB ram filled up. He read your post and he wants to ask about this, but his English expression is not good. I will help him translating your reply to him.

Many experienced users here mention that EastWest Hollywood Orchestra Platinum sounds much better (more realistic) than Steinberg Iconica! Is this true also for the GOLD Edition of EWHO?

Just to add here that for me 16-bit is not a problem, because in the end my songs are going to end as 320kbps MP3 files, which is already lower quality than 16-bit (i.e. Audio CD). Also the "only one" mic is not a problem for me, because it is exactly what I need (not extremely wet like EWQLSO Gold, but not extremely dry as well)! And if it's a little drier than I need, I can always add some convolution reverb, PLAY 6 offers many options for this.

So my question has only to do about sound quality and realism! Do you believe that even the Gold Edition of EWHO can beat Steinberg Iconica?

And yes, the timing of my question is not random, I am asking this now because EWHO Gold Edition is on sale in VSTBuzz (240 euros)! :P

Many experienced users here mention that EastWest Hollywood Orchestra Platinum sounds much better (more realistic) than Steinberg Iconica! Is this true also for the GOLD Edition of EWHO?

Just to add here that for me 16-bit is not a problem, because in the end my songs are going to end as 320kbps MP3 files, which is already lower quality than 16-bit (i.e. Audio CD). Also the "only one" mic is not a problem for me, because it is exactly what I need (not extremely wet like EWQLSO Gold, but not extremely dry as well)! And if it's a little drier than I need, I can always add some convolution reverb, PLAY 6 offers many options for this.

So my question has only to do about sound quality and realism! Do you believe that even the Gold Edition of EWHO can beat Steinberg Iconica?

And yes, the timing of my question is not random, I am asking this now because EWHO Gold Edition is on sale in VSTBuzz (240 euros)! :P
I don't have Iconica to compare to, but the strings and brass in the Hollywood series are very good, right up with the best. They have a fairly big learning curve compared to some other libs, and if you are fine with using the Play engine, all is good.

However, I have them (EWHO), and hardly use them, because I have other libraries that are just as good, I struggled with them usability wise, and I eventually got fed up with Play. Some people love these libs, some hate them.

The percussion in Hollywood is fine, but I think there are better alternatives out there, and the Gold version I wouldn't recommend as you really want the extra mics for the percussion especially.

The woods in EWHO are not good, except for maybe as just in the deep background. They are not instruments you want exposed at all in your tracks.

I think Iconica would be fine, from the demos and walk-through, but you would loose out a bit given the quality and greater flexibly of strings and brass in EWHO.

It's all personal choice though, and which library you think suits you better in terms of sound and usability/workflow.

@markleake

Thank you for your valuable help! I consider myself not experienced enough to struggle to make EWHO Gold sound so nice! It seems that Iconica is easier to use and sound very nice right out of the box!

Also my big love will always be the woodwinds, and it seems that everyone says that EWHO totally fails at the woodwinds sections! Exactly the opposite happens with Steinberg Iconica: Everyone says how beautifully recorded are all the woodwind instruments (see Orchestral Tools)! ;)

So I am leaning to Iconica right now! Also a plus is that it is perfectly combined with Iconica Ensembles, which offer some very nice sounding ready-to-use full orchestral patches!

Again thank you for your help! Being low budged right now, searching for a full orchestral bundle library, I cannot afford a "wrong choice"! But it is just so f. difficult to ignore the amazing price of EWHO Gold right now as we speak!

Last edited:
Remember - If you have an e-licencer you can download a full 30day trial, and currently there is 30% off sections and players until Sept 5th.

I'm pretty sure that you can re-sell it too.....

Whilst I have EWHO, and I love the string and brass, I think I'll be getting a lot more use from Iconica.

I've recently bought it and although I've only had a small amount of time to play with it, I'm very happy with what Ive seen/heard so far....

My best advice - Get the trial - even if you have you buy an e-licencersto test it with and make up your own mind. If you are going EWHO - you really ned to go platinum.

Remember - If you have an e-licencer you can download a full 30day trial, and currently there is 30% off sections and players until Sept 5th.

I'm pretty sure that you can re-sell it too.....

Whilst I have EWHO, and I love the string and brass, I think I'll be getting a lot more use from Iconica.

I've recently bought it and although I've only had a small amount of time to play with it, I'm very happy with what Ive seen/heard so far....

My best advice - Get the trial - even if you have you buy an e-licencersto test it with and make up your own mind. If you are going EWHO - you really ned to go platinum.

I am not sure about that, especially with Iconica! I remember people being disappointed by the inability to sell it!

I know about the demo trial (150GB download) and I know about this summer sale ending soon! I wish it was 50% or 60% sale though! Then I would stand a chance to buy it! I think Steinberg must hire some employees from EastWest Sales department and let them do the job as they know! :)

Do you own also the "Ensemble Iconica" Library also? Does it deliver? The demos sound impressive (LOL as always)! Does it combine perfectly with "Iconica Players"?

About EWHO, I would be lying if I try to tell that you are wrong! I mean - by definition - Platinum is the best choice! And - especially during sales - the price difference is not even big! The only think that's big is its size! I am sure that Gold would run much better in my PC, and my 1TB SSD would still continue breathing! Also 16-bit is not a big problem for me, and the 1 mic is also OK (and less complicated) for me! I would NOT say the same thing if we were talking about EWSO! There 1 mic only is a huge problem because it's too wet! But in EWHO I think they chose a very nice, neutral not too wet not too dry mic! And right now Gold costs less than $300!

By the way, is the Convolution Reverb in Play 6 passable? I mean, does it do the basic job?

I do have the ensemble library too - bought it during a previous 30% off sale.

The ensembles are useful for sketching, but some of the patches are not my cup of tea - and to my ears a bit artificial sounding. So I've found the ensembles a bit of a mixed bag, but for what I paid for them I'm reasonably content.

If you are considering an ensemble library then there are other choices out there I would pick first if it were my only one.

I've never used the Play 6 convolution reverb - so I can't help there. I bought a copy of Spaces before I used the EWHO, and it's so good I've used it for most things ever since.

I doubt you'll see Iconica on a 50% sale though....

BTW, Iconica is balanced - making it much easier to get cracking.

EWHO is a fabulous piece of kit - but it takes a lot more time and effort to use. With Brass & Strings this effort it worth it. Percussion & Woodwinds far less so.

I do have the ensemble library too - bought it during a previous 30% off sale.

The ensembles are useful for sketching, but some of the patches are not my cup of tea - and to my ears a bit artificial sounding. So I've found the ensembles a bit of a mixed bag, but for what I paid for them I'm reasonably content.

If you are considering an ensemble library then there are other choices out there I would pick first if it were my only one.

I've never used the Play 6 convolution reverb - so I can't help there. I bought a copy of Spaces before I used the EWHO, and it's so good I've used it for most things ever since.

I doubt you'll see Iconica on a 50% sale though....

BTW, Iconica is balanced - making it much easier to get cracking.

EWHO is a fabulous piece of kit - but it takes a lot more time and effort to use. With Brass & Strings this effort it worth it. Percussion & Woodwinds far less so.

Wow Iconica Ensembles would be really affordable with a 30% sale! I understand it's not the best sounds you have ever heard in your life, but for a not-so-experienced user like me, don't you believe that it sounds better than, say, if I mix myself Full Strings + Full Brass + Woodwinds in 3 different patches? Isn't it true that in most of these ensembles products, the musicians are actually playing at the same time, sitting in the ideal positions? And isn't it less power hungry to have one patch of a full symphony than, 5-10 (or many more) patches of violins, violas, celli, honrs, trombones, bassoons, etc...?

I am struggling to save money to buy my first semi-pro full orchestral library (including the extra sketch library for fast workflow and nice inspirations - come on, this "Pirates" ensemble of Iconica Ensembles is really catchy!), and I think a bonus for Iconica Players is the fact that it can be "naturally combined" with Iconica Ensembles!

Isn't the above a more "sure" combination, than say (just a random not-so-expensive example will follow) combining Spitfire Studio Orchestra Core (or EWHO Gold) with Sonuscore the Orchestra?

Crap, I am sure we will need a few years to see Iconica with a 50% sale, it's a nice new product, and already very reasonable priced!

I know, EWHO gets all this respect, but aside from the simplicity to use more modern libraries and have nice results much faster, there is another factor that I am leaning towards Iconica Players! It's because I love woodwinds, and as far as I know (from EVERYONE, now including also you), woodwinds are the worst part of EWHO, and at the same time the best part of Iconica Players (which is anyway a balanced and easy-to-use library as you mentioned)...

Thank you so much for your input! It's nice to have all this help from people who have actually used these products! So now I can tell you my secret: It's NOT that I am LAZY to download 150GB and try it myself, it's the fact that I am afraid to have this experience, because I am sure that I am going to love it (unless you tell me that Iconica sounds worse that Garritan Personal Orchestra 5!!!!), and it's almost impossible that I can afford it before the sale expires...

Just trying out the demo of Sections and Players - Every Single patch "Repetitions" causes Pops and Clicks for me- and i dont think it did that when i first downloaded it at the weekend (Had the Flu Since then so maybe just going mad! ) I did update to the newest Halion Sonic SE, so that might be it.

If you have this library or the demo, please try the REP patches and see if you get clicks and pops with latest Halion SE. All other stuff seems to work

Just trying out the demo of Sections and Players - Every Single patch "Repetitions" causes Pops and Clicks for me- and i dont think it did that when i first downloaded it at the weekend (Had the Flu Since then so maybe just going mad! ) I did update to the newest Halion Sonic SE, so that might be it.

If you have this library or the demo, please try the REP patches and see if you get clicks and pops with latest Halion SE. All other stuff seems to work

Mac or PC ?

Top Bottom