What's new

Stargirl Scoring Competition

I believe that things like this are a way to improve yourself. No matter the prize. The more you practice, the more you get better. I have no equipment or power to do a competitive entry, so I have to find a way to overcome these obstacles. And this is a lesson that is worth more than every prize. Good luck everyone, looking forward to ear all your take on the scene.

I believe that things like this are a way to improve yourself. No matter the prize. The more you practice, the more you get better…
Exactly. If you do these competitions to win, you’re gonna be disappointed. But if it’s for fun, practice, and educational purposes, why not?

Having said that, I wish these contests weren’t always so “action scene” focused. It’s like it’s begging everyone to make the same music (yes, even the pros do it) or create something that’s so out there that it’s inappropriate for the sake of being different (sound familiar?).

In any case, it should be fun, and I had a great time watching the videos last time.

Well this will be interesting to watch. Great they are doing a contest again even with some of the difficulty that came with the previous one. Good luck to everyone that enters!
What difficulty?

The only thing "difficult" about that previous competition was getting composers to be civil to one another in the aftermath.

What difficulty?

The only thing "difficult" about that previous competition was getting composers to be civil to one another in the aftermath.
Yep, that is what I meant, maybe "difficulty" isn't the right word to describe the lack of decorum that ensued from the result.

Just reworded my post for better clarity :)

I hope they pick a piece that could legitimately be in the show. Last time, they so got tired of hearing 10,000 Remote Control Productions tracks that they picked on one that sounded different, even though it could never be a real cue in the show.
Isn’t it up to the director on what “could be a real cue in the show”? Not for the masses to really decide. Also why do they need to constrain it to Pinar’s existing aesthetic for the show? They aren’t looking for Pinar 2.0. This time around they’ve explicitly stated individuality as the first criteria for selection.

Having watched the clip a few times (whilst doing kids bath!) my initial thought is it’s about how you get to that finishing shot. Needs room to breathe and build beforehand. There’s a lot of points to hit in the cue and it might be easy to overplay. Lots of conflict and a tricky emotional switch to make, as the rules suggest.

My initial thoughts, anyhow. I have an idea of where I *might* go with it.

Last edited:
I can totally see how the winning entry for the Westworld comp sent a lot of mod wheel max’d horn patch wizards into a frenzy of frustration (I too did my best sub standard Remote Control entry, and like most had assumed the winning entry would have been suitable to use in the actual show rather than the fun approach of the winner).

However, there is no denying the excitement around getting another professional production to put into my DAW and pretend to be a working composer for a few weeks as an escape from my much more tedious real job. Can’t wait to get started on it, thank you Spitfire team!

I am very excited with Spitfire's excitement about this competition :dancer:

Jokes apart, this is a great opportunity for composers... always helps to put yourself there and compete, compare and learn (winning isn't important)

Top Bottom