What's new

StaffPad - Now Available for IPad with Major Sample Libraries Available

It's a cheap bamboo pen and touch cth-460. I bought it off ebay for close to nothing specifically to try with staffpad. Panning works with a two finger swipe horizontally and vertically. It's not quite as snappy as I'd like so assigning 'pan and scroll' to one of the pen buttons worked really well. It also means not having to change pen position in my hand to swipe.

I also have a non touch bamboo ctl-470 and prefer it with that. I'm contemplating getting a touch cth-470 and trying it with that as well.
@sundrowned - did you ever try the cth-470 ?

Does anyone know where I can view the full list and price of both the original/included samples of StaffPad and the 3rd party ones? I am having trouble finding it on the web. It sounds like I'll have to spend around $500 to $600 to get StaffPad with a full 3rd party orchestra? Are there any users that love StaffPad with the stock sounds?

I also wanted to ask about the new iPad Air vs iPad Pro for StaffPad, and if it is worth waiting 2 months for the new iPad Pro for StaffPad?

Any 11" iPad Pro users that love it and don't have or notice issues with limited screen size?

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can view the full list and price of both the original/included samples of StaffPad and the 3rd party ones? I am having trouble finding it on the web. It sounds like I'll have to spend around $500 to $600 to get StaffPad with a full 3rd party orchestra? Are there any users that love StaffPad with the stock sounds?

I also wanted to ask about the new iPad Air vs iPad Pro for StaffPad, and if it is worth waiting 2 months for the new iPad Pro for StaffPad?

Any 11" iPad Pro users that love it and don't have or notice issues with limited screen size?

Thanks!
StaffPad libraries are included with the app. The other major sections are $99 each, so you're looking at $400 for a full third party orchestra. CineSamples libraries were just on sale for two months or so at 50% off. It stands to reason that they will do this again at some point. You can do a lot with the included samples and a third party string library. Berlin Strings would be my first choice, though I own and use them all. So with StaffPad and Berlin Strings, you're looking at less than $200.

It’s been so much fun working with Stafford, but I just did my first stem export and I notice some annoying crackles in a few places (Berlin flute 1 in a run and Cinebrass 4 horns, and a swell on the Berlin strings cello). Does that happen to you too? I am on an iPad Pro 11 2020.

Question to StaffPad users: would it be good as a learning tool? I mean learning and practicing notation for someone who has been composing only in DAW so far. I think it could be, especially because of the playback features, but I'm curious what's your opinion, maybe I'm missing some cons.

Yes, very much so. Good with soccer study too. You miss so much working in a DAW alone. I use it to practice writing SATB and lots more besides....

Question to StaffPad users: would it be good as a learning tool? I mean learning and practicing notation for someone who has been composing only in DAW so far. I think it could be, especially because of the playback features, but I'm curious what's your opinion, maybe I'm missing some cons.
That is what I am doing. I am new to notation, could only read it a little bit before.
I am doing the ScoreClub Foundation class at the moment and after every new episode I do the homework on paper (as recommend) and after that I write it into StaffPad and it sounds so good. Even the simple voice leading exercises in SATB put into Berlin Strings and it is just awesome. Sure, you can do that in a DAW, but I always hated midi-programming. The audience dont care where the sounds come from when it sounds good, but for me writing real notes on paper and StaffPad is very sexy.

StaffPad is very sexy.
I agree , especially as you can write in bed , so liberating , no computer, no waiting for plugins to load no mixing , reverbs mikes etc. Just think of a part and write it down and instantly hear it back as good as your daw. It’s insanely more fun , no longer do you think about articulations and libraries and what would sound best , you just write .

I have been using staffpad for about a week, and so far it is good. I struggle a bit with getting staffpad to recognize my writing (I have a bit of essential tremors), but it’s gotten better. I am a bit better and faster relative to when I started. I don’t know if anyone started out similarly and has gotten really good and quick with staffpad. I found out that if you write the notes quickly as opposed to slowly and carefully, staffpad sometimes recognizes it better. Maybe that is just me?
I m going to continue to try. I don’t have a fully decked out orchestral library and a fast cpu, so I decided to go with this somewhat cheaper iPad route with staffpad to see if I can potentially compose. I bought all my stuff from private party to save money, and everything has been good so far except for the new/sealed airpod pro I paid $100 for ☹️. The airpod pros work so I’m using it for its function and trying to ignore a subtle tick on the right bud.

Last edited:
Worth trying paperlike which stops
I have been using staffpad for about a week, and so far it is good. I struggle a bit with getting staffpad to recognize my writing (I have a bit of essential tremors), but it’s gotten better. I am a bit better and faster relative to when I started. I don’t know if anyone started out similarly and has gotten really good and quick with staffpad. I found out that if you write the notes quickly as opposed to slowly and carefully, staffpad sometimes recognizes it better. Maybe that is just me?
I m going to continue to try. I don’t have a fully decked out orchestral library and a fast cpu, so I decided to go with this somewhat cheaper iPad route with staffpad to see if I can potentially compose. I bought all my stuff from private party to save money, and everything has been good so far except for the new/sealed airpod pro I paid $100 for ☹️. The airpod pros work so I’m using it for its function and trying to ignore a subtle tick on the right bud.
the pen slipping on the glass . I found the hardest thing ironically is inputting notes but I tend to find it’s quicker now to just copy and paste a few notes from existing and re-edit them . Double tapping bars is a good way to do that

Quick question: Is it possible to use the stem export for just one instrument or will it always export all intruments of a composition? Right now, the fastest workaround for me is to copy/paste the instrument into a new project and export from there.

Have you tried chosing the solo option for the instrument and then export it the usual way as a wav file?

I think before we had stem export, I used to mute all of the instruments but the one I was wanting to export, then export.... (not stems, but the entire file) I haven’t tried it now, but I suspect you could do that.

I think before we had stem export, I used to mute all of the instruments but the one I was wanting to export, then export.... (not stems, but the entire file) I haven’t tried it now, but I suspect you could do that.
Oh...that's actually a pretty good idea. Haha...why haven't I thought about this before. Thank you.

Top Bottom