1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSS difference spicc vs TM spicc patch and template question

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by CQrity, Dec 6, 2017.

1. CQrity

CQrity Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Hey guys,

as I couldn't find a documentation for Spitfire's Symphonic Strings I have to ask:
    Is there an audible difference between the spiccato patch vs the time machine spiccato? They have a different footprint (32Mb vs ~220Mb) but I couldn't hear a difference with close mics. If I use the TM slider there will obviously be a difference, but I thought it would be just a timestretch. With a look at the footprint there seem to be different samples?

And then I wondered which articuations you would consider to be essential. I want to build my template only with articulations I will use 80% of the time. For me that would be (for strings):
    performance leg
    longs
    spicc (tm)
    pizz
    trem
    half trills min/maj
    Do you think I would miss something? Or do I have already too much?
    That is of course not really important, as one patch more or less isn't a dealbreaker. However I am interested in how you are handling this stuff.

Thanks for help!

2. tehreal

tehreal Senior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    The Time Machine patches have to load all the samples into memory (instead of streaming from disk) which is why the memory usage is much higher.

CQrity likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    CQrity

CQrity Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks a lot for clarifying :)

4. Ben E

Ben E Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    I don't think I've ever used the longs patches. I use the individual sections performance legato patches for long notes. I do, however, use the flautando (ensemble) patch for some long notes. Otherwise the patches you list are exactly the ones I use the most. (But I use the regular spicc, not the TM ones.)

5. Paul Thomson

Paul Thomson Senior Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Hi CQ -

If you go to the product page on the website and scroll down you’ll find the link to the user manual - lots of great info in there!

All best,

Paul

CQrity likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    CQrity

CQrity Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah, I already wondered what exactly "long" means. As there are dedicated legato patches I figured it has to be a sustain patch.
    I have to work through all those special articulations and see, which are of regular use. I will have a listen to the flautando ones :)

There was a piece here on V.I. where the TM patch was really good for fast passages. And as there are all options in there, I chose the TM patch.
    You can compare here:
    https://vi-control.net/community/threads/the-robber-sss-spitfire-symphonic-strings.57432/

I worked on the template and an expression map a bit and for some reason the Celli don't play anymore from C3-D#2. *headscratch*

7. OP
    OP
    CQrity

CQrity Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Awesome, thanks!
    For some reason I didn't find it. I searched through the QnA section, the support tab... Thanks a lot!

8. Jesse Heslinga

Jesse Heslinga Senior Member

May 15, 2013
    Spend a few weeks with SSS, for now I have for every string section:
    Long
    Con Sordino
    Trem

& for shorts strings:
    Spicc
    Pizz
    Spicc CS
    Col Legno

I most be the only one, but in general I don't like legato patches for 90% of string work, so unless I want the sharper attack of of the perf legato patches, I tend to use longs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017