What's new

SSO Mockup - "Leaving Hogwarts" from Harry Potter

Hi, I'm a music teacher in Paris (conservatoire) who conduct a student's orchestra. I'm writing a "Harry Potter's medley" for them and it's really hard and long ! I would like to finish with "Leaving Hogwarts" but it's really long to write the score (on Sibelius) . So my question is : is it possible to you to give me just the midi files of this wonderful score you've made ? It will really help me ! and save me lot of time ! I would give you the sibelius score after that if you have interest in ? I hope you will agree and will be sincerely grateful.

Hi proko,

Unfortunately the MIDI wouldn't really represent the score very well here. I'm doing a lot of layering and moving things around, as well as that there's lots of different tracks featuring articulations that wouldn't be there in reality. I imagine it'd be a bit of a mess, especially when trying to write to score!

Hey Karma

With all the talk here about how cohesive the sound is with BBCSO and how one also feels the depth of the sound-stage, I actually prefer your mockup for those exact reasons, proving that depth and cohesiveness can be done with older libraries like SSO.

I recall you used primarily lots of outrigger and ambient mics in this and your mockup of War Horse.
To get this level of realism, did you use other plugins such as delay to create a Haas effect on various instruments and what reverb setting did you use to create this wonderful sonic spectrum. If you choose to share I’d be most grateful.

At any rate, this is the best rendered mockup I’ve heard here. Congrats………….

To get this level of realism, did you use other plugins such as delay to create a Haas effect on various instruments and what reverb setting did you use to create this wonderful sonic spectrum. If you choose to share I’d be most grateful.
Hey Cass, thanks a lot! The mix was actually a duo effort with my friend Joël Dollié, he does a full mix breakdown here.

As for mics, this one was actually more just Tree and Outriggers on most. A good mix does help, though I think the most important tip in getting VI's more convincing is focusing on phrasing as well as the balance between instruments, as once you get that things often start to fall into place. Having well recorded samples helps a ton too :thumbsup:.

After listening again now there's definitely a few things I'd change, which is why I tend to avoid listening back :shocked:

Hi, I'm a music teacher in Paris (conservatoire) who conduct a student's orchestra. I'm writing a "Harry Potter's medley" for them and it's really hard and long ! I would like to finish with "Leaving Hogwarts" but it's really long to write the score (on Sibelius) . So my question is : is it possible to you to give me just the midi files of this wonderful score you've made ? It will really help me ! and save me lot of time ! I would give you the sibelius score after that if you have interest in ? I hope you will agree and will be sincerely grateful.
Just google John Williams Midi Files. You would be surprised what you can do with these.😉

Yeah, I agree. Phrasing and balancing is really the key to great mockups, it's what turns instrument patches into music. And thanks for the link. Really appreciate it. Off to watch it now..............

A fabulous piece of sound work! Beautiful recording, balans, mix, instrumental colors... Just wonderful!
Jos

Well done! What patches legato did you use for strings? Performance Legato or Legato Performance? I'm interested because patch Performance Legato is simplified and lacks speed control, but for some reason everyone praises him. When, as a patch, Legato Performance allows deeper control over articulation for legato.

Well done! What patches legato did you use for strings? Performance Legato or Legato Performance? I'm interested because patch Performance Legato is simplified and lacks speed control, but for some reason everyone praises him. When, as a patch, Legato Performance allows deeper control over articulation for legato.
Thanks! These were actually the Performance Legato patches only, layered with Solo Strings to help mask the transitions some more. You're quite right though, for a piece like this I could have definitely benefited more from having access to the speed slider. I imagine it would have especially helped with some of the early exposed string lines.

If I could be bothered I'd go back and switch it all out, but once these things are done I tend to try not to revisit them :)

People praise performance legato because it does so many things under the hood. You can use it more readily without thinking about it and the vast majority of time it works great. Of course there are times when it doesn’t and legato performance works better. And there are other times still when the underlying legato patches themselves work best.

People praise performance legato because it does so many things under the hood. You can use it more readily without thinking about it and the vast majority of time it works great. Of course there are times when it doesn’t and legato performance works better. And there are other times still when the underlying legato patches themselves work best.
Absolutely! For anything more agile I would probably always go for Performance Legato instead.

Top Bottom