What's new

SSO Mockup - "Leaving Hogwarts" from Harry Potter

Spitfire Audio
Hello everyone, you may (or most likely may not) remember that last year I did a mockup of Williams' "Dartmoor, 1912" from War Horse. I recently decided to take a shot at another and this time went for one of my favourite cues from the first Harry Potter film. I had a lot of fun with this one and streamed a fair amount of the process over on Twitch. I'll be looking to do another from scratch in a few weeks so feel free to stop by!

All of the libraries used are Spitfire:

Symphonic Strings
Chamber Strings
Solo Strings (layered, not shown in DAWCast)
Symphonic Woodwinds
Symphonic Brass
Joby Burgess Percussion
Orchestral Grand
Skaila Kanga Harp

Thanks to Joël Dollie for the mix too. He'll be uploading a mix deconstruction in a few days over at his YouTube channel here.

Last edited:
Love it! Wasn't the original also Air Lyndhurst?
Thanks a lot! I believe it was both AIR and Abbey Road, so I'm not sure about this cue in particular. I know that Simon Rhodes engineered though.

Fantastic, as always!

Could you talk a little about how you've balanced the different sections against each other? With the Studio series, I find myself usually dropping the strings by 1 or 2 DB, and the winds by as much as 8, leaving the brass at 0. I know some people prefer to automate that, rather than setting it at something static.

Fantastic, as always!

Could you talk a little about how you've balanced the different sections against each other? With the Studio series, I find myself usually dropping the strings by 1 or 2 DB, and the winds by as much as 8, leaving the brass at 0. I know some people prefer to automate that, rather than setting it at something static.
Thanks a lot! Honestly there's no real secret other than trusting your ears. I prefer not to automate my levels through faders and generally try to get them close and only micro adjust using Expression (CC11). Mocking up an already existing piece really does help to get balance though! :thumbsup:

Great work! How do you layer the strings together mic/volume wise?
Thanks! It's mostly a matter of taste really, this is mainly Decca Tree and Outriggers with a little bit of close and Ambient where needed. As for layering, I bring the Solo Strings down until I feel like they would sit well in the section itself. They are in there, but ideally you don't want to hear it unless you really focus in on it. I didn't mess around with the mics on the Solo Strings, it's just the Decca :)

Top Bottom