What's new

SSO Mockup - "Dartmoor, 1912" from War Horse

OP
Spitfire Audio
Yeah, I'd be interested to hear it with SSS for any unison string parts and SCS reserved for divisi simulation.

It's still fantastic, though. I really need to scrape together about $1700....
Ah yes, using SSS for the unison lines was something I was thinking about doing too... I just never did. I agree, it would probably be more fitting!

Cass Hansen

Exemplary! One of the best rendered tracks I’ve heard here. Amazing depth. Love all your attention to detail for each instrument: expression, articulations, dynamics, vibrato, phrasing, etc. ; I can even feel the woodwinds and brass breathing between phrases; It sounds so “live”! Can’t imagine the hours and hours of work, but it paid off!

I was about to give up focusing on rendering (which is definitely not my forte) and decided just to concentrate on composing and writing scores instead. But hearing this makes me rethink that.

I see on one of your latter posts that you used primarily outriggers and ambient mics, which was one of my questions. If you don’t mind sharing, I’d really be interested in knowing if you use any additional reverb plugin on this or just used the mic mixes and what kind of topnotch mastering plugins ( if any) you might of inserted on the main stereo out. It sounds so rich and spacious without losing any clarity. I don’t hear that combo very often.

Blown away by this. Can’t wait to hear your next track! Thanks for sharing.

Cass

OP
Spitfire Audio
I see on one of your latter posts that you used primarily outriggers and ambient mics, which was one of my questions. If you don’t mind sharing, I’d really be interested in knowing if you use any additional reverb plugin on this or just used the mic mixes and what kind of topnotch mastering plugins ( if any) you might of inserted on the main stereo out. It sounds so rich and spacious without losing any clarity. I don’t hear that combo very often.
Hey Cass, thanks for your kind comment! There is indeed reverb on this, although it's quite subtle (as was anything done in the mastering stage). I think the most important thing is finding a good balance in the mockup itself, and from this most of the other things will often fall into place. I'm debating doing a DAWcast for this at some point, although I'm not too certain how to approach it just now!

Cass Hansen

Hey Cass, thanks for your kind comment! There is indeed reverb on this, although it's quite subtle (as was anything done in the mastering stage). I think the most important thing is finding a good balance in the mockup itself, and from this most of the other things will often fall into place. I'm debating doing a DAWcast for this at some point, although I'm not too certain how to approach it just now!
Doing a DAWcast would be absolutely fantastico! I realize it takes a lot of time to setup though. Doesn't have to be a polished video event however, just grab a free video capture software(like Bandicam) and film the screen while clicking on editors and tracks in your DAW. If want to add subtext though in balloon boxes, that takes longer. A few people have done quick DAWcasts here. Might contact them.
Thanks for the advise on doing good thorough mockup BALANCING. Will have at it! :2thumbs:

OP
Spitfire Audio
Sorry for the very late bump here, but I've uploaded a rather shoddy attempt at a DAWCast. A few people asked for it, so hopefully it's at least helpful in some way.

Apologies for the lack of CC data in the Strings - there's so much damn info in there that it was lagging, so I ended up removing some.

Last edited:

Cass Hansen

Karma,

Thanks for the DAWCast. I found it very useful especially since I've been having problems coming up with a good template that works, being fairly new at orchestral rendering.

Couple quick questions, I see you have violin 1 divided into player 1,2,3 which I'm guessing is for all the divisi in this piece. When the violins play unison and since you're using SCS, are you doing the transposing trick to avoid phasing, or are you thickening one violin line by some other means. And what is your [M] [L] designation mean for the various WW/Brass instruments. Thanks
Cass

OP
Spitfire Audio
Karma,

Thanks for the DAWCast. I found it very useful especially since I've been having problems coming up with a good template that works, being fairly new at orchestral rendering.

Couple quick questions, I see you have violin 1 divided into player 1,2,3 which I'm guessing is for all the divisi in this piece. When the violins play unison and since you're using SCS, are you doing the transposing trick to avoid phasing, or are you thickening one violin line by some other means. And what is your [M] [L] designation mean for the various WW/Brass instruments. Thanks
Cass
Hey Cass! Thanks - glad it was tolerable!

I had a pretty weird 'rule' as there was so much divisi in this. Any time the section splits I would bring each instance down around 3-4dB. Whenever it was a single line (suchas the unison parts) it was always at the default dB. I hope that makes sense! I never actually doubled up the patches unless it was required by divisi. So for example...

No divisi = 0db
2 part divisi = -3/4dB
3 part divisi = -6/8dB

Etc... etc! Never needed the transposition trick as the lines were never close enough to cause phasing issues :)

Cass Hansen

Thanks Karma for the feedback, makes perfect sense and the results couldn't have been better for using a non-divisi library for lots of divisi. Great job!

Paul T McGraw

@Karma Thank you for your DAWcast. You did a wonderful job with this. I own the Spitfire Orchestra and have enjoyed it. My personal favorite component is the Spitfire Symphonic Strings. Wouldn't the SSS have been a better choice than the SCS for this piece?

Also, what mic mix did you use?

Once again, congratulations. You did a marvelous job.

Top Bottom