What's new

Spotify -- what a mess [but a good, speedy response!]

JohnG

Hi guys,

One of our members, @N.Caffrey pointed out to me that someone else with a similar name is listed as the composer on one of my albums on Spotify. I went through Spotify and there are dozens -- dozens -- of non-attributions of my pieces that have been released through a label. Moreover, the albums all come up under variations of John Graham, so if someone likes something there is no easy way to track anything else down.

The point is not to moan about it, but to let everyone know. I guess now we have to police all this ourselves? A/nd what about iTunes, Amazon Music, Pandora?

How do you guys manage this stuff so you get appropriate credit and royalties? Do ASCAP or BMI help with this stuff?

John

So I wrote to Spotify and got an amazingly speedy response, including over the weekend (Saturday and Sunday both) and some of the tracks I wrote are now associated with my name.

So have to give them full marks for their helpfulness and speed.

I still object to their accepting tracks without composer attribution, as on some of the compilation albums where I have (in two cases at least) a majority of the tracks. In other words, if the label doesn't give them detailed composer information, they will still accept the track. I think they should insist on knowing the composer and trying to identify him / her / them.

So I have to give them high praise overall, and will see if I can lobby them to change their policy on the submission side.

So I wrote to Spotify and got an amazingly speedy response, including over the weekend (Saturday and Sunday both) and some of the tracks I wrote are now associated with my name.

So have to give them full marks for their helpfulness and speed.

I still object to their accepting tracks without composer attribution, as on some of the compilation albums where I have (in two cases at least) a majority of the tracks. In other words, if the label doesn't give them detailed composer information, they will still accept the track. I think they should insist on knowing the composer and trying to identify him / her / them.

So I have to give them high praise overall, and will see if I can lobby them to change their policy on the submission side.
Open up a free artist account with SoundExchange.com and register your catalogue with them too, John.

Top Bottom