1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spitfire's New Solo Strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by artomatic, Jun 5, 2018.

1. lucianogiacomozzi

lucianogiacomozzi Senior Member

May 26, 2013
    London
    The problem I have with certain libraries and even video games is now you can release something almost instantly and don’t have to pay to print discs, companies tend to release incomplete products and then release fixes and additional things they promised later.

It’s a good thing when it comes to adding new content but not great when they keep changing the versions and you have to upgrade to get the latest stuff. I feel like products used to be more polished and included everything before when you brought them.

Personally, I feel like when I purchased the BML Horns for example, that I just wanted the horns, I didn’t want anything else because I don’t need it but the updates for it are for SSB...

Casiquire and fretti like this.
  2. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Senior Member

Jan 9, 2018
    The thing I don't get is this: Spitfire has said these are supposed to fit in nicely with SSS and CS. So I'm thinking first chairs and first chairs often take solo parts. Maybe not some crazy-ass concerto part, but still. And SSS and CS are also capable of making some really nice lines with many different accents from the countless things I've heard - both originals and mockups. Heck listen to the demos of both on their pages. Fair amount of variety. So I went into it expecting to hear, ya know.... first chair type stuff.

Instead, so far, I've heard really nice tone from the instruments. I will not argue that they don't sound awesome. Very clearly the case. But everything that was written in the demos is pretty borderline generic film-esque stuff. Moderately vague ideas. Generally playing one type of articulation for extended periods of time. The unnoticeable type stuff that's kind of difficult to make sound bad if the samples are recorded well. In the one case of the demos where there are more distinct melodies, it's not even the solo strings providing them. So now I'm a bit weirded out because I just wouldn't think "Ok lets call these solo strings. We'll name one of them virtuoso. And THEN... let's not use them in that way like AT ALL."

So I just want to know if these will work for anybody that's going to write for them like a composer making anything other than ONLY filmy stuff. And I look forward to examples they or early buyers make where it's literally anything other than the examples provided here. I'm not being snarky. I just want to know.

desert and SimonCharlesHanna like this.
  3. Batrawi

Batrawi Senior Member

Jul 9, 2016
    I thought it didn't until I got my hands on CSSS, and now I actually can't go back to a solo string instrument that has no medium and slow legato speeds..just throw these between strings quartet chords and you won't believe how much realism and emotion you were missing.

Btw, does the new Spitfire solo strings have different speeds? if so then am in love already

Casiquire and Saxer like this.
  4. madfloyd

madfloyd Senior Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Massachusetts
    What's a slow legato (e.g. vs a medium)? Are you referring to vibrato speed?

5. MaxOctane

MaxOctane Senior Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Can you post some CSSS demos? I feel like I own a different product from the one people talk about here. I find the longs (especially the vibrato) unusable. This is for string quartets, though -- maybe it's much better within full orchestra.

6. Batrawi

Batrawi Senior Member

Jul 9, 2016
    I think the official YT demos already shows the product at its best. Yet you can find an example I shared here....just ignore my sluggish performance pls:blush:

https://vi-control.net/community/th...e-kronos-quartet-in-the-fountain.70566/page-2