What's new

Spitfire Westworld - Winner Announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we move on to something less divisive and drama-free, like Brexit for example?
Hahahaha

Yeah, that competition is all over the news this morning.

Media are wondering what happened.
Psychologists are asked to state whether it’s better to be a winner or a runner up.

Jean-Michel Jarre is stating that “8-bits is the new 24-bits” and has thrown all his gear to the dump, keeping only his Gameboy.

Drug mobs are eagerly fighting over what’s called now “The Genre War”

Feeling threatened, Spitfire Audio publicly announced that they are pro-Brexit now.
The contestants will have to prove they have at least 1/4th of British blood to enter future competitions.

JJ Abrams had to change his identity. Rumour has it he should be called Ron Howard from now on.

The next season of WestWorld is cancelled. The show will be reboot as EastWorld, shot in Korea, and telling the story of impossible love story between a low-class android and rich-class heir over 25 seasons in which it will be revealed that the android’s cog maker was the former husband of one of the rich-family maid who hold a mysterious jade bracelet.

Ford has disclosed their new voice driven golf car that can hold 4 passengers sitting front-to-front.
First reviews state conception flaws : you have to sacrifice one seat if you want to carry non standard issue luggages. And the roof is not sealed well.

I hate this competition now...

Just for the record - we had a well organized team working through the entries in the first round. Obviously no one person listened on their own to every entry, that would be ridiculous and contrary to every competition that is run on this scale.

personally, I listened to 500 entries in round 1 and 300 in round 2 - me and the team have been working hard on this - diligently and fairly - over the last 3 weeks - as we’ve mentioned a number of times now, every entry was listened to. I have no idea - nor do I care - how youtube decides who is a bot and who is a human. I’d suggest the bizarre pattern of a non logged in computer playing one entry after another for hours on end probably set YTs bot alert wagging.

David won fair and square - when I saw his entry during judging (round 2) - I shouted “YES” at the top of my voice and laughed out loud at points.

it was cool, witty, brave, well executed, scored to picture brilliantly, and just so fun and joyful - I loved it.

for people claiming he is mates with JJ because he worked as an assistant in a sound crew of 65 people 15 years ago is.. well - ludicrous.

And he’s not a big shot Hollywood composer as some have claimed - that is equally ludicrous.

he did a great job, and won fair and square.

WELL DONE!!!

Well don't ever accuse me of not being a massive glutton for punishment!

I love your dog! He/she is gorgeous.

On the subject of the competition, I (and likely others) am finding it hard to reconcile the notion that being outlandishly different is the most important thing, with some of the runners up picks.

The explanation for why David was picked as the winner (and I agree that his piece is, very cool , fun and well done) is that he "dared to be different" and did something totally unexpected. If that is the case why weren't the 5 runners up slots filled with equally daring and different submissions? There are loads of really well done submissions with something completely different and unexpected in them that didn't make it into the runner's up slots.

Also, on the subject of being different in the industry you are obviously right that as a composer you need to find your voice and stand out. However, the truly successful composers manage to cleverly do this but within the confines of what is expected and still works with the picture. I would argue that there is a huge difference between just being different for the sake of being different and being creative enough to put your own mark/stamp on your music, whilst still retaining what the scene or film is trying to convey.

The real skill in this industry, I think, is writing something different..but familiar. I know this to be the case because that is what we hear on pretty much every bit of media. Familiarity. The truly great composers then turn this familiarity into something uniquely their own. They subtly inject new ideas without you really noticing whilst watching. THAT is where the real skill lies.

This competition and its subsequent hysteria are quite representative of the times we live in.
This feels like the 2016 USA presidential election.
Everyone expected a Hilary, and Donald won.
Hilary may have had more popular vote.
Donald won because he understood our times and was at stake.

Whether you like it or not, deal with it and learn from it.
Nothing guarantees that it will be the same next time, who knows!

Congratulations to David. I think that what he did was very daring so he deserves the win.
Have fun with all your spitfire libraries!

This is a very bad analogy. Donald won because 40% of America need their heads examining and are terrible, terrible judges of character.

It says the opposite of what you are trying to say :P

I think the gimmick is nice and the execution was great. A very strong runner-up.
I wouldn't have given it first place.

Also - who cares what I think :).

This was fun. It's Spitfire's competition and they can decide whoever they think should win first prise.

ALSO - I think that all runner-ups + first place sounded better than my entry. So I'm fine with it :)!

Well, I like to think that I might be able to write more than just one kind of music, depending on what the director had in mind. ;)

Hey David, Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I worked for many years as a sound designer and Composer on Advertising, and I can understand the right reasons for your win.

Congrats

by the way, it was a funny contest congrats @Spitfire Team

:2thumbs:

Ste

Last edited:
My one cent...

When you feel that you are entitled to certain things, beware... Self-entitlement will fast track you to losing a job opportunity, a relationship and your career.

Of course, it's great we are all given the freedom to voice out our opinions here. Choose your 'notes' carefully.

This is a very bad analogy. Donald won because 40% of America need their heads examining and are terrible, terrible judges of character.

It says the opposite of what you are trying to say :P

Anti-conservative vitriol is disgusting, hateful and elitist. And I'm not even a conservative. It's just the one group you're allowed to hate without any social repercussions whatsoever so I would also add cowardly to the mix. Ban me if you want, no apologies. And NO respect.

Anyways, congratulations to the winner! I liked the 'genre switch' lol

Anti-conservative vitriol is disgusting, hateful and elitist. And I'm not even a conservative. It's just the one group you're allowed to hate without any social repercussions whatsoever so I would also add cowardly to the mix. Ban me if you want, no apologies. And NO respect.

Anyways, congratulations to the winner! I liked the 'genre switch' lol

It isnt anti conservative. I'm just pointing out that Trump is objectively a terrible person and that that analogy was bad.:P

I get the message that it's important to stand out and to be bold, but I can't shake the feeling that if I had done this on a real world project, I would have been fired XD

But it’s not a real world project. I think some people are forgetting what the spirit of competition is. David was smart in recognising what would stand out in a competition of 11,000 and not an actual score requested by a director.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom