What's new

Spitfire Westworld Competition SPINOFF - Composition Discussion, Advice and Examples

I think they will mention how many submissions they've received when the winners are announced. I will agree with Pincel's estimate. I was noticing during most of the inner days of the month, there were 50-100 submissions daily, and then large bursts of submissions at the start and end of it. On its own, 75*30 yields 2,250, so his estimate may be close yet.

Very interesting discussion - kinda wish I found this a month ago!

So inspiring to see so many people go for this and paint it with their own personal taste.

I was also torn with the “futuristic synth epic elements” which I am not good at! I’m more of an orchestral composer so tried to skirt between both those style in mine. Either way, it was good fun working to such a challenging scene.

Good music, bravo.

Please accept my apologies for bringing another submission to the table!
😉
I had great fun doing this, even though it was a challenge to do it without a brief or some kind of dramaturgical guidelines.
To me, due to the lack of engine sounds, the electric cars seemed slow, watching the scene without music, so my main focus was to make the chase seem faster and more exciting.
Ended up with some kind of typical action music, but tried to develop a simple theme, that was hinted throughout the scene and and not completed until the last ”acceleration” sequence.
Let me know your thoughts, and good luck to all participants!

Did I hear Elfman's batman theme at 1:18? ;)

Hi man! Are you sure you chose the right articulation for brass chords in your waltz-based theme? They lack some bite and sound a bit muddy, I'm afraid. Putting a solo cello is a brave choice and should add some extra points to your entry. Overall, your music sounds a bit too loud over dialogues, so some slight improvements in track balancing would be really helpful. Good luck bro.

Totally agree on volume. I had a minor (not so minor) panic attack day of submission chasing this in Premiere for just that reason! For as much as I tried to adjust, I guess I just didn't adjust enough. Still beats the inaudible volumes I started with lol. ugh.

As to the right articulation choice, man who knows. I was literally clicking articulations, tapping around my keyboard to hear them and settled on this one for whatever reason, trying to use the sloppiest sounds I could find for a stumbling around kinda of vibe. There was no logic or process to it other than, "huh. That's interesting...."

Re: cello, that's where it all started, for the most part. I just loved that sound once I downloaded the library comparing the different instruments. Call me biased, I guess. I just love its sound.

My biggest concern is the simplicity of it all, and that I repeat so much, so often. Still, I'm comfortable with it for a first effort into this world. For fun, ya know? As Bill Murray always said, "baby steps."

Here it is, the famous five-note motive...
:eek:
I use a synth for hinting (the notes F, G and Ab) my little theme at 3:21.
At 1:18, my horns answer and overlaps with another short phrase (F, Db, C)
When combined, it actually sounds like the Batman theme.
Not by intention, but maybe due to some subconscious impulse.
On the other hand, those intervals are being used in every other thriller/action/drama.

:eek:
I use a synth for hinting (the notes F, G and Ab) my little theme at 3:21.
At 1:18, my horns answer and overlaps with another short phrase (F, Db, C)
When combined, it actually sounds like the Batman theme.
Not by intention, but maybe due to some subconscious impulse.
On the other hand, those intervals are being used in every other thriller/action/drama.

I don’t hear Batman at all. Don’t lose any sleep over this Batman comment. 😂

Please accept my apologies for bringing another submission to the table!
😉
I had great fun doing this, even though it was a challenge to do it without a brief or some kind of dramaturgical guidelines.
To me, due to the lack of engine sounds, the electric cars seemed slow, watching the scene without music, so my main focus was to make the chase seem faster and more exciting.
Ended up with some kind of typical action music, but tried to develop a simple theme, that was hinted throughout the scene and and not completed until the last ”acceleration” sequence.
Let me know your thoughts, and good luck to all participants!

Very good! Definitely one of my favourites. I'm not sure I understand the ending though. From when the motorcycle makes an appearance until the end. It seems triumphant and heroic and then just dissipates to silence. But I'm only mentioning that because you asked for thoughts. Otherwise its great. Very professionally done.

Here's my entry (yet another one :))

Any feedback are really welcome (either negative or positive, any advice is good to take!)

May as well play along too..

Classic lurker here and very new to all this, never scored anything in my life (be kind)

Amazing entries to this, so much talent out there! Well done everyone

Thanks for looking

Very good! Definitely one of my favourites. I'm not sure I understand the ending though. From when the motorcycle makes an appearance until the end. It seems triumphant and heroic and then just dissipates to silence. But I'm only mentioning that because you asked for thoughts. Otherwise its great. Very professionally done.
Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Regarding the ending: I’m not sure either 😉, but it was a challenge to work without a brief on what’s going on.
I felt when I tried to empasize the crash with music/sound it became less powerful, so I let it speak for itself.
Also, I have no idea what is real and what is virtual reality in this scene, or what’s going on in the main character’s head.
I just liked the contrasting melancholic vibe from the strings at the end.
Trying to leave some questions to the viewer, as it seems he’s going through some further ”genre change” as the crashing vehicles lights up his face at the very end.

What I do find a little odd, is that there are some fantastic "different genre" entries, but so many have it from the start, which in my opinion slightly ruins it (in scoring for picture terms)

That doesnt make a lot of sense to me story wise, because it confuses whether your intention is just to score the whole scene with a quirky/different take, or whether you are actively scoring to his drug trip/the scene.

I think its far more effective to make the genre change an actual change as the dialogue literally says "he's changing genres" and a massive big deal is made picture wise of him tripping out.

Top Bottom