What's new

Spitfire Westworld Competition SPINOFF - Composition Discussion, Advice and Examples

I don’t watch the show so maybe there something I’m missing here, but the one thing I haven’t been able to figure out is why she gives the rocket launcher to the guy on drugs when there’s a perfectly good normal guy sitting right beside him.
Hehe, I haven't watched it either, so I might be totally wrong here, but I think the scene feels almost like a dream from Calebs perspective, and it doesn't have to make perfect sense.

I don’t watch the show so maybe there something I’m missing here, but the one thing I haven’t been able to figure out is why she gives the rocket launcher to the guy on drugs when there’s a perfectly good normal guy sitting right beside him.
Also she loads the rocket into the gun then bashes it into the plexiglass ceiling, not the other way around haha

Also she loads the rocket into the gun then bashes it into the plexiglass ceiling, not the other way around haha
Or why, if she has access to guide the missile remotely, does she even have him stick his head out of the car and risk getting shot, when she can just stick the gun out of her newly created “sunroof”, shoot it, and then guide it herself. But I digress...

This is in no way a criticism - but i've noticed that alot of the entries i've heard to date on the Tube sound very similar. I'm not a pro by any means - more of a hobbyist - but is that DUNDUN orchestral sound generally what's expected for this type of genre? Obviously i don't plan on using didgeridoos and marracas, but up to what point does it pay to be veer off that particular path? Please don't take this the wrong way - I LOVE what I've heard so far, it's just not my compositional style.

This is in no way a criticism - but i've noticed that alot of the entries i've heard to date on the Tube sound very similar. I'm not a pro by any means - more of a hobbyist - but is that DUNDUN orchestral sound generally what's expected for this type of genre? Obviously i don't plan on using didgeridoos and marracas, but up to what point does it pay to be veer off that particular path? Please don't take this the wrong way - I LOVE what I've heard so far, it's just not my compositional style.

I haven't bothered going the traditional route.

I mean, i could do it competently i think, but I'm not sure it would stand out from the hundreds of others that will do the traditional style really well.

i think if you go down the traditional route the whole way through the video, then it better be absolutely incredible.

General question for you experienced people: at what point(s), if ever, do you mute the video's audio track while working on something like this?

I was sort of...satisfied I guess is the word, with my work in progress, then I tried listening to it muted and it sounded a lot more empty/hollow. Nothing like the experience of listening to a published soundtrack album. Would one fill out the music as a standalone thing, and then fit it into the rest of the audio during final mixing? Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this and I just have boring music.

What would be your compositional style? I think as long as your music still works with the scene, then the more off the beaten path it is, the better.

General question for you experienced people: at what point(s), if ever, do you mute the video's audio track while working on something like this?

I was sort of...satisfied I guess is the word, with my work in progress, then I tried listening to it muted and it sounded a lot more empty/hollow. Nothing like the experience of listening to a published soundtrack album. Would one fill out the music as a standalone thing, and then fit it into the rest of the audio during final mixing? Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this and I just have boring music.
I think the more filled out it is, the better. You never listen to John Williams and think “well he left it kind of bland because there was spaceship battles over top of it.
The difference might be subtle once you add all those car noises etc going over top of it, but in the long run the subtleties will be felt.

I never completely mute the videos audio track, to compose around dialogue and sound effects

at what point(s), if ever, do you mute the video's audio track while working on something like this?

I found composing with the dialogue & sfx almost always on helped with orchestration and balance decisions. For example, at one point, I was trying to fill in some more toms but I realized the bullets hitting the car in that measure was already achieving the same effect, so I didn't need them there.

Checking the music alone was still useful as a proofing step, though -- more to listen for defects rather than trying to ensure the music could also work out of context.

at what point(s), if ever, do you mute the video's audio track while working on something like this?

If I'm working on a specific bar for a long time and there's dx at that point, I always will mute the dx and sfx track/s. It will drive me crazy if I don't. Some kind of partial monosyllabic voice stuttering over and over and over. :laugh: I generally leave it turned on whilst writing otherwise. Then there's a point where I want to "mix stuff as I go" and want to make sure everything musically is sounding how I want, so I turn it off during that. The thing is with this, the dx/sfx track is the finished audio and with this gives a great sense of what I can write around and what kind of balance things can be. Instead of writing something and thinking "this part is wicked" and then realise you've completely drowned out something key to the story. Or any dx to be honest. Usually, you will have guide/scratch tracks, sfx work in progress, and you have to imagine a lot of "there's an explosion so I'm not going to write anything there or write anything that is nuanced or supposed to be clearly audible. But hey, what do I know. Just personal thoughts from a guy with a Green screen and a few bottles of Corona from the Isle of Wight. :laugh:

More guitar oriented, in this case a bunch of stacked fuzz/muff pedals, with some grindhouse and orchestral elements elements layered on top.
I started adding guitars to mine, since that’s my main instrument. But I think I was too far gone into orchestral world for it to fit right. But if you can pull it off, it’s gonna sound cool.

If I'm working on a specific bar for a long time and there's dx at that point, I always will mute the dx and sfx track/s. It will drive me crazy if I don't. Some kind of partial monosyllabic voice stuttering over and over and over. :laugh:
Heheh I already experienced this. I was struggling with a percussion part after the rocket thing hits, right where Aaron Paul goes "hawh, fuck!" I opted not to mute it.

Missed the boat on this one... Tempus Fugit!
I will just knock up some 3 day thing though to see how it goes :)

Still not listened to a single entry as I don't the influence in my track ;)

Was looking forward to using my BBCSO Pro and Scoring Guitars 2...

I started adding guitars to mine, since that’s my main instrument. But I think I was too far gone into orchestral world for it to fit right. But if you can pull it off, it’s gonna sound cool.
More guitar oriented, in this case a bunch of stacked fuzz/muff pedals, with some grindhouse and orchestral elements elements layered on top.
Gosh I want to nail that distopian guitar sound in scoring work
Perhaps I am biased, but as a guitarist before anything else, that will always be my sweet home sound!

Top Bottom