What's new

Spitfire Westworld Competition SPINOFF - Composition Discussion, Advice and Examples

I can't find a new original path for myself. I want to keep heading down that action cue path but I think it wants more. It's not that I am not going to use it for practice, I am but unless I come up with something that has a spark I doubt I will enter. Just to be clear - these entries are all quite good, but if I was listening to this video over and over with different entries, I would really want something to grab me by the throat. Don't you think? There are going to be lots of entries!

I agree with you, and by no means do I feel like my entry was incredibly inspired... but I had nothing to lose by entering so why not? I personally haven't found any entries that are to my tastes either, but I think what that reveals is that my tastes are so far removed from most other composers'.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that none of the people going on about what other people are doing wrong have posted their own entries.
I can only speak for myself of course, but I’m not looking at this as a contest, as much as a study in spotting and composing to picture. And the culture surrounding this Westworld thing has been for the most part, quite communal.

Any thoughts I make are in the interest of sharing ideas and positive criticism. The only global negative point that I’d make is that many entries sound the same. But on an individual basis I haven’t found many (less than 1%) that I would actually consider poorly written or executed. And for those, I would keep those opinions to myself unless feedback was requested. And even then I’d like to think I have some tact.

Most of the people here doing this contest are here to learn (myself included) so I personally do not feel there is a competitive vibe to anyone’s comments. Maybe that’s naive to think, but that’s how I feel. And I’m certain that when I eventually get off my ass and finish mine that it will be subject to the same (hopefully positive) criticism as I’ve given to others. In fact if it’s not, I’ll be disappointed. Because A) after all this work, I want it to be heard, and B) I entered this as a learning opportunity, not to win a contest (in fact I keep forgetting that there’s a prize).

Well what do you mean to soon? I mean Ramin’s piece starts right away as well.

I don't know how the original worked. Didn't look. But based on the scene we were given in isolation, the most natural entry point for music feels much later to me than it apparently does for most other people.

I can't find a new original path for myself. I want to keep heading down that action cue path but I think it wants more. It's not that I am not going to use it for practice, I am but unless I come up with something that has a spark I doubt I will enter. Just to be clear - these entries are all quite good, but if I was listening to this video over and over with different entries, I would really want something to grab me by the throat. Don't you think? There are going to be lots of entries!
That’s how I feel as well. What the scene calls for is probably basic action music. But that doesn’t seem very fun to me, so I’m going a different direction. Even if it means I’ll “lose” the contest.

The only global negative point that I’d make is that many entries sound the same.

Well, we are all scoring the same scene. I've actually been surprised at the variety I've heard so far. Yeah, there are a lot of 'action cues,' but... it's an action scene. Most of the entries sound like the kind of music that I assume you'd be asked to write if you had the job of scoring this show. You could write anything, but the point of the contest is to score the film, not write your most original and creative masterpiece. If your goal is to win, well then maybe some of the more off-the-wall entries will get more notice, but who knows? What are we really being judged on?

Edit: and by the way I want to mention that I appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far personally and don't feel like anyone in this thread has been negative.

Well, we are all scoring the same scene. I've actually been surprised at the variety I've heard so far. Yeah, there are a lot of 'action cues,' but... it's an action scene. Most of the entries sound like the kind of music that I assume you'd be asked to write if you had the job of scoring this show. You could write anything, but the point of the contest is to score the film, not write your most original and creative masterpiece.

It’s a fair point, and I did mention previously that action music is likely what would fit the scene the best. But I don’t know how you’d separate one from the other in terms of the actual contest. I know we’re all scoring the same scene, but then how do you stand out? Score it like it “should” be scored (action style cue) or go out on a limb and do something ‘weird’ which might just come across as weird, lol. I think the people who are going to win are the people who find that balance.

You could write anything, but the point of the contest is to score the film, not write your most original and creative masterpiece. If your goal is to win, well then maybe some of the more off-the-wall entries will get more notice, but who knows? What are we really being judged on?

Competitions don't work at all like real gigs. I'm pretty sure that the winning entry will have a unique approach while also working flawlessly.

I don't know how the original worked. Didn't look. But based on the scene we were given in isolation, the most natural entry point for music feels much later to me than it apparently does for most other people.

When did you come in? I chose to come in with some actual 'music' about a half a second after the first bullets strike the glass. This is the first marker in the whole clip that shows something sudden and shocking has occurred, and makes for a natural point to telegraph to the audience the emotional experience you want them to feel.

If I was taking a very minimalistic approach to scoring this chase I would still use it as a moment to slightly change the intensity, as well.

I humbly submit my entry! My take on Caleb's genre switch was to enter the world of a video game with 8-bit music and sound. I had a blast with this melody and creating fun variations building up to the final climax.

This was such a great experience. Thanks to everyone involved for putting on this competition. Thanks for listening!

I humbly submit my entry! My take on Caleb's genre switch was to enter the world of a video game with 8-bit music and sound. I had a blast with this melody and creating fun variations building up to the final climax.

This was such a great experience. Thanks to everyone involved for putting on this competition. Thanks for listening!

That was thoroughly enjoyable.

This one's great, the sound effects really sell it. The orchestra sounds excellent too.

Definitely one of my favourites. Great job! Seems like you had a lot of fun making this. Is it me or does the dialog track sounds different though?

That's so cool dude!

I'm not sure if I like it as a score for the scene honestly, but as a piece of music it's really fuckin' cool and well executed! Congrats for taking the chance to be truly original. :D

P.S.: The fun you must have had while doing this is almost palpable! Really great stuff.

Definitely one of my favourites. Great job! Seems like you had a lot of fun making this. Is it me or does the dialog track sounds different though?
Thanks!! Yes I did have a lot of fun! I really enjoyed the drum parts, and expanding on the 8-bit parts to incorporate the orchestra.

The dialog track when he first "changes genres" I made it sound a little more trippy like he's in a video game. They actually did this in the show, which you can hear in the video with the Flight of the Valkyres. For some reason, they provided the dialog clean in the no music version - I guess so we could treat it to fit our "genre."

That's so cool dude!

I'm not sure if I like it as a score for the scene honestly, but as a piece of music it's really fuckin' cool and well executed! Congrats for taking the chance to be truly original. :D

P.S.: The fun you must have had while doing this is almost palpable! Really great stuff.
Thanks so much! I purposely didn't watch any entries this whole time because I didn't want to be swayed in any way. So I didn't really know how "out there" the entries were going to be. Other than decide to do the chiptune stuff, I just kind of went with it. I'm a fan of the show, so I know that Ramin often does brilliant orchestral covers of pop songs, such as "Paint it Black." So I guess maybe this could be in that vein.

I'm excited to now go on YouTube and listen to all of the entries - I'm sure there's a ton of amazing stuff!

If I don't win... gosh I hope you do. Enjoyed that.

Challenge accepted!

Gotta say, this has been one of my favorite VI Control threads in a long time.

My gosh, that was easily one of my favourites! It's like Jerry Goldsmith meets modern action style, I love it!

Good thing I never had any hope on actually winning this competition, because you guys are killing it.

And I agree, this thread has been super entertaining so far.

Top Bottom