Spitfire Westworld Competition SPINOFF - Composition Discussion, Advice and Examples

Shad0wLandsUK

I started adding guitars to mine, since that’s my main instrument. But I think I was too far gone into orchestral world for it to fit right. But if you can pull it off, it’s gonna sound cool.
More guitar oriented, in this case a bunch of stacked fuzz/muff pedals, with some grindhouse and orchestral elements elements layered on top.
Gosh I want to nail that distopian guitar sound in scoring work
Perhaps I am biased, but as a guitarist before anything else, that will always be my sweet home sound!

Dr.Quest

Listened to many of these. Good action cues on many. Anyone use Junkie XL brass? Seems like that could have been a good fit.

EricBarndollar

Listened to many of these. Good action cues on many. Anyone use Junkie XL brass? Seems like that could have been a good fit.
I had planned to, but I ended up being happy enough with Spitfire's Symphonic Brass that I started with for sketching (well, plus a few CineBrass patches when I needed just a bit more). If I had more time, it would certainly be interesting to swap in JXL Brass and compare the results.

ATomagian

Hello everyone,
This has been a great thread with tons of insight on scoring to picture which was invaluable for a newbie like me. I just uploaded mine and I would love some feedback from the great people in this forum. I went for an 80's synth vibe after the genre change and after the first explosion for a hybrid of synths/orchestra.

Eptesicus

It surprises me how many entries totally have the music too loud and you cant hear much of the speech or fx.

I mean i know we want our music to shine through, but i can't help but feel that they will want it mixed properly so you can still hear most of everything going on.

davidson

Hello everyone,
This has been a great thread with tons of insight on scoring to picture which was invaluable for a newbie like me. I just uploaded mine and I would love some feedback from the great people in this forum. I went for an 80's synth vibe after the genre change and after the first explosion for a hybrid of synths/orchestra.

We have a winner. You heard it here first.

Michael Stibor

It surprises me how many entries totally have the music too loud and you cant hear much of the speech or fx.

I mean i know we want our music to shine through, but i can't help but feel that they will want it mixed properly so you can still hear most of everything going on.
That was my big complaint as well, but then I went back to the original version, and the Valkyries piece is mixed very loud as well.

Mark Evans

Hello everyone,

I really liked the falling away sound as the missile speeds past its intended target but I didn't find the last minute of the score quite as interesting as what had gone before.

ATomagian

We have a winner. You heard it here first.
You're too kind! Thanks a lot!
I really liked the falling away sound as the missile speeds past its intended target but I didn't find the last minute of the score quite as interesting as what had gone before.
Thanks for the feedback. With this kind of projects I always struggle with keeping it both interesting and consistent all the way through.

dzilizzi

I had to go back and remix because somewhere in my 1st bounce you could barely hear the conversation and I had written the music specifically around the conversation. I don't think you learn anything if you cover the dialogue.

Loïc D

Monkeying with libraries
Hello everyone,

That is good work !

It works well with the video, the dialogs & fx are still fully audible and the mix renders well even on cellphone speaker.
Probably the best I watched (but I only watched a handful).

EricBarndollar

I went for an 80's synth vibe after the genre change and after the first explosion for a hybrid of synths/orchestra.

Really enjoyed your initial genre transition from those bending strings to 80s synths + toms. I think I wanted the track to keep building up in energy much more than it did, so I also felt like it was losing steam rather than increasing in intensity up to the ending. But really fun vibe + mood.

Nico

Hello everyone,

GREAT atmosphere